PDA

View Full Version : Credit Expert... Thieveing gits

18-03-09, 08:22 AM
I was signed up to Credit expert last year, paying £7 a month for the privillege,

When i moved I cancelled my DD as I didnt have time to call them to cancel my membership and I was free to cancel at any time.

That was 4 months ago and no more payments were taken,

I check my statement today and they have used my debit card details to take a payment..... (I didint even know they had them)....

Now I will have to call and tell them what i think....

be warned.... they appear to slimey little ****s...

tigersaw
18-03-09, 08:24 AM
I guess signing up to someone like that they make it their business to know all your details..

SoulKiss
18-03-09, 09:03 AM
I was signed up to Credit expert last year, paying £7 a month for the privillege,

When i moved I cancelled my DD as I didnt have time to call them to cancel my membership and I was free to cancel at any time.

That was 4 months ago and no more payments were taken,

I check my statement today and they have used my debit card details to take a payment..... (I didint even know they had them)....

Now I will have to call and tell them what i think....

be warned.... they appear to slimey little ****s...

Legally all you did was stop paying them.

You never cancelled and you would have signed something saying they were in the right to get payment however they wished,

Cancelling a Direct Debit is not the same as Cancelling a Contract.

Dappa D
18-03-09, 09:25 AM
ive been signed up to credit expert (for the experian report) and equifax for about 7 yrs now since i found out that inland revenue put a CCJ on my account for almost £10,000 based on an obscure estimate they made and i was never made aware of the court date / any moneys owed etc...(it has been set aside since so no problems there, but was about 2 yrs were i could get no credit whatsoever due to this cockup)

there has been months where i didnt want the access to it and have always called them, i have to say have never had any probs with them, but does sound like a bit of a mickey take on thier part!

you probably know anyways but if u want to see any of your credit reports again at a later date you can pay £2 for a paper version to be sent to you and only takes a couple of days.....

18-03-09, 10:57 AM
Legally all you did was stop paying them.

You never cancelled and you would have signed something saying they were in the right to get payment however they wished,

Cancelling a Direct Debit is not the same as Cancelling a Contract.

there was no contract.. thats my point

SoulKiss
18-03-09, 11:16 AM

There would have been a contract - they would not have had any obligation etc to provide you with the data otherwise.

You at least admit to a "membership" which is what you didn't cancel when you just stopped paying for it.

MattCollins
18-03-09, 07:31 PM
I'd be taking that one up with the bank.

Cheers

jimmy__riddle
18-03-09, 08:30 PM
There would have been a contract - they would not have had any obligation etc to provide you with the data otherwise.

You at least admit to a "membership" which is what you didn't cancel when you just stopped paying for it.

+1

as far as they know you just havnt paid, could be banking error/not enough cash etc.

You need to contact them and cancel with them, not just stop the DD

AndyW
19-03-09, 01:25 PM
I had this with demo internet many years ago. Cancelled direct debit, sent email to them cancelling and then promptly forgot about it. Turns out cancelling can only be done in writing (any email they sent me bounced from my demon a/c due to spam overflow (the reason I was quitting)), so they ended up chasing me for 6 months unpaid which I ended up having to fork out.
You need to cancel in writing, preferably sent signed for.

MattCollins
19-03-09, 03:25 PM
All true, although the bit that I find objectionable (it has happened to me - later reversed) is the bank honouring a DD (direct debit) after the authorisation has been removed. From the use of the term DD, I assumed it was not a credit card payment.
Maybe I have this one all backwards, but... What is the point of passwords, PINs, SMS security codes, blah, blah if anyone can debit an account, contract or not.

Cheers

gruntygiggles
19-03-09, 11:16 PM

When you signed up to it you would have ticked a box to confirm you had read the terms and conditions......that is the contract. By ticking, you are accepting the terms and going ahead.....that is your contract so you would have to cancle it with them in order for them not to still want payment from you. If you moved and just cancelled the DD with your bank, they had probably sent letters to your previous address.

As for using your debit card details, if you never gave those details to them, speak to your bank. They may hold all your credit details, but they can't just use them without your permission. There may have been a clause in the T&C's though that permitted this use.

Ed
19-03-09, 11:29 PM
Sounds like you need a lawyer;)