PDA

View Full Version : bike not burning fuel properly

abdul.aziz
31-03-09, 12:32 PM
I think my bike (sv650 curvy 02) isnt burning fuel properly. My brother commented that my bike exhaust fumes smells like a 2 stroke bike exhaust fumes.

When i turn on the bike the red oil indicator/ light comes on and stays on, so i suspected I just need more oil.

I've put in close to 1 litre of engine oil but i cant see any of it in the inspection window. when i look down the hole i cant see any oil.

Do i just need to simply put in more engine oil?
how comes the oil wont show up on the inspection window? (i'm guessing there isnt enough oil, or the oil is really clean and already filled to the top, doesnt seem logical),
or could it be a bigger problem?

:confused:

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.

chasey
31-03-09, 12:49 PM
When you put the oil in are you putting it in with the bike stood upright or on it's side stand? Same goes for looking to see oil level.

The bike needs to be stood upright, on flat ground, to get a clear indication of it's level otherwise it appears empty.

Not sure what your problem could be though!

abdul.aziz
31-03-09, 01:44 PM
Thanks.

I've tried both. I supoose i could check again with someone holding the bike upright.

It rides fine otherwise. Gear change is smooth, pulls off fine etc.

Biker Biggles
31-03-09, 01:59 PM
Checking oil level is absolutely crucial and is the most basic check you must be able to do.Get someone to show you how and confirm you have the right amount of oil in it.Not getting this right can and will cause your engine to go bang and require replacement.Very expensive.Dont use the oil light as a measure of oil level as that is not what it does.

Stig
31-03-09, 02:06 PM
If it's smelling like a stroker I would hazard a guess you have over filled (a lot) Lift the tank, take the air filter out and look in the airbox. I am thinking here you are going to find oil swimming inside that has made its way into the carbs and being burnt with the fuel.

Stig
31-03-09, 02:08 PM
There is also a chance you have blown the piston rings. Hence the oil pressure light being permanently illuminated and another way of burning oil with the fuel.

Alpinestarhero
31-03-09, 02:13 PM
Directions for checking oil:

1) hold bike upright, and check inspection window. The oil level should be between the upper and lower lines.

2) if you cannot see the oil, check the bike really is upright

3) if you still cant see the oil, take the oil filler cap off and pour in oil. Re-inspect with the bike upright and keep filling until the level is inbetween the lines (prefereably towards the top line).

4) put cap on, start engine, let it warm up for 5 minutes or so.

5) recheck oil level 1 minute after stopping the engine

If you have over-filled, you will be burning oil; there will be blow-back into the airbox, so lift the tank up, remove the top airbox cover and inspect for oil in the airbox/ on the air filter.

Otherwise, there could be a problem with oil getting past the piston rings...

RE: oil light. The oil light indicates the pressure of the oil; no, or low, oil pressure and the light stays on. This light will be ON when the engine is not running, but should go out upon the engine starting. If the oil. light is still on, then you have no oil pressure - you could have oil in the engine, or you could not have oil in the engine.

Matt