PDA

View Full Version : Is my rear shock gone?

chris_c201
31-03-09, 03:01 PM
Folks,

Had my curvy SV for a few weeks, out a run today and as i parked up and pottered about taking my helmet off etc i noticed this -

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c136/chris_c201/31032009001.jpg

Upon further inspection it appears to be coming from the bottom of my rear shock and running down the shaft.... couple of pics -

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c136/chris_c201/31032009002.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c136/chris_c201/31032009003.jpg

Bike feels fine (damping) but i guess it could have just started) So, do you guys reckon it is the shock.. or could it be something higher and dripping down, if so any ideas?

If it is the shock what are the options.. see a lot of folk taking about the ZX10 shock as an upgrade, is this a straight swap and where could i put my hands on one / roughly how much??

Cheers,
Chris

plowsie
31-03-09, 03:05 PM
Hmm, looks like some whatever it is on the outside of the spring. Certainly weird.
Woulda just suggested Chain lube excess but your chain looks like its either waxed/in need of some love.

Stig
31-03-09, 03:06 PM
Looking at the dryness of your chain I would say yes it is the shock. Maybe get someone to bounce on the bike whilst looking underneath and see what gives?

Apart from getting an aftermarket shock such as a Hagon, I do not believe there are other shocks out there that are a direct fit without the requirement of modification in some shape or form. Normally cutting of the battery box is required as a minimum.

chris_c201
31-03-09, 03:11 PM
Chain is waxed (last week)...

How much am i likely to be for a new rear shock (standard) and fitting?

Cheers,
Chris

plowsie
31-03-09, 03:12 PM
Well, second hand I could offer you mine, but not sure of its worth. It has 19k on it too. So prob not worth much. Maybe a ZX636 shock or ZX10 shock may be better. I have a Busa shock in mine.

Baph
31-03-09, 03:16 PM
Chain is waxed (last week)...

How much am i likely to be for a new rear shock (standard) and fitting?

Cheers,
Chris

I reckon the oil is coming out the top of the shock, so it will be a pretty slow leak sa oil will only come out when the shock is under stress.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=SV650+shock&_sacat=See-All-Categories

They start from about £30 for a standard shock (choose one that has a known mileage!!), and removal/refitting is 4 bolts IIRC. But you could do with a stand (Abba/NWS) & a torque wrench.

Where abouts are you? There may be someone local to you from the .Org that can assist with fitting?

plowsie
31-03-09, 03:18 PM
I reckon the oil is coming out the top of the shock, so it will be a pretty slow leak sa oil will only come out when the shock is under stress.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=SV650+shock&_sacat=See-All-Categories

They start from about £30 for a standard shock (choose one that has a known mileage!!), and removal/refitting is 3 bolts IIRC. But you could do with a stand (Abba/NWS) & a torque wrench.

Where abouts are you? There may be someone local to you from the .Org that can assist with fitting?
Removal & Fitting is best with an Abba Stand, Breaker bar and some assistance. I had only one. There are 3 bolts that hold it in 2 at the bottom, one at the top. If you replace with a Kwak shock, you will need to order a new bolt and nut.

chris_c201
31-03-09, 03:19 PM
I'm in Glasgow.. use a local garage and their quoting £30 for fitting so will no doubt just take it there to save any hassle (plus i don't have a stand).

What mileage should i be looking at.. mine has only done 10k.....

plowsie
31-03-09, 03:22 PM
I'm in Glasgow.. use a local garage and their quoting £30 for fitting so will no doubt just take it there to save any hassle (plus i don't have a stand).

Low as possible.

If it has gone, 10k is pretty low. I'd be inclined to find out why it has done that :???:

But around 5k is good.

chris_c201
31-03-09, 03:24 PM
At the risk of sounding stupid.. what are the likely / possible reasons of how it could have went so early?

Baph
31-03-09, 03:28 PM
Removal & Fitting is best with an Abba Stand, Breaker bar and some assistance. I had only one.

The bolts on curvies must be WAY tighter than the pointy spec if you needed a breaker bar!!

I changed mine for a standard shock (mine had 32k on it, replaced with an OEM with 2k on it) all by my lonesome. But then, I was on nights & could take my time with it.

Viney
31-03-09, 03:28 PM
A million reasons. I take it that you didnt buy the bike new? If so, then the previous user could have done all manner of things to the bike. It might not be the original shock. The previous owner having changed the shock then replaced it with a secondhand item etc or just a faulty part.

I have had 2 stock shocks and both have done in excess of 25000 each. Im currently on my 3rd. They didnt leak, they just went soft.

plowsie
31-03-09, 03:37 PM
The bolts on curvies must be WAY tighter than the pointy spec if you needed a breaker bar!!

I changed mine for a standard shock (mine had 32k on it, replaced with an OEM with 2k on it) all by my lonesome. But then, I was on nights & could take my time with it.
Mine weren't, soaked em in WD40. Breaker bar was just a reccomendation mate.

chris_c201
31-03-09, 04:13 PM
Nah bought the bike 2nd hand... it appears to have been very well kept though, fsh, spotless throughout, loads of receipts etc etc...

Will try and pick up another shock and get it changed over......

Dave20046
31-03-09, 04:18 PM
did the previous owner have a pie-too-many?

chris_c201
31-03-09, 04:25 PM
Lol... the last guy looked about 10stone.. that said the boy before him (done the first 6k or so miles on the bike) may have been "bigger framed"... or maybe its me thats done it in the 600 or so miles i've done, lol

yorkie_chris
31-03-09, 04:30 PM
I don't believe a lardy owner should cause more wear to a shock than a thin one. The idea of gas charging a proper (reservoir type!) shock is to keep a fairly uniform pressure on the fluid. I can believe harder riding, more bumps etc. to cause more wear and breakdown of the fluid, but that's different.

In fact, a lardy owner keeping most of the shock shaft pressed into the body should hide it from impacts and reduce the chances of damage popping the seal.

Possibilities; a bike stood for a long time can pop fork seals through lack of use, the seal sticks, then tears when moved. Rust on the shaft is guaranteed to knacker the seal. As is a sharp edged fracture or what have you from a stone chip.

Cures. New stock shock, used replacement etc. Aftermarket bespoke ones like hagon (same as stock), or a proper shock like maxton, penske, hyperpro etc. make. Or, an OEM shock from another bike (I like this option).

TheShadow
31-03-09, 04:31 PM
Chris i am having a similar problem.. well my shock isn’t leaking its just soft , who quoted you the £30?

I am struggling to find a low mileage 636 shock so currently looking at the ZX10.. How do these compare in regards to stiffness as i only way ~11 stones.
The bolt and screw that I will require are they easy to get?

chris_c201
31-03-09, 04:32 PM
Yup, going for the last option, OEM from another bike....

I'm a newbie.... and will be the limiting factor on the bike for a long time so no point splashing out on a shiny hagon or something for no reason!

Dave20046
31-03-09, 04:32 PM
lol just get yourself a shock ordered. (Worth upgrading to a gsxr one, or whatever is good?) and get it fitted. Only will be a bit tricky if you don't have an abba stand. beer crate under the engine and a strap from the grabrail to a beam or stepladder?

chris_c201
31-03-09, 04:33 PM
I live in Glasgow... local bike garage quoted the £30 to fit... with me supplying the shock... if your local and interested i'll pass over the address / number...

Dave20046
31-03-09, 04:34 PM
In fact, a lardy owner keeping most of the shock shaft pressed into the body should hide it from impacts and reduce the chances of damage popping the seal.

:D wahey might not eat a shock for a while then.

BTW chris remember to use grease-a-plenty

thefallenangel
31-03-09, 08:39 PM
have you got axle stands for a car?

I used a paddock to get it upright and then axle stands under the rear sets to hold it up while i swapped the shock.

Make sure they grease the linkages and while it's out try get the to grease the swing arm bearings too. Might cost you a bit more but it will be worth it.

Over greasing is better than under (suzuki) greasing.

yorkie_chris
31-03-09, 09:59 PM
Suzuki under greasing implies they use any at all

chris_c201
01-04-09, 05:07 PM
Shock bought... bit higher mileage but will do me for a few thousand miles then i might upgrade... got a wedding in 2 weeks so don't fancy forking out a lot of cash just now! (well i do but the mrs won't be happy, lol)

Gutted though as i have a quiet evening, and it is lovely and i could be out a run!! Was tempted to chance it as the damping felt fine Yest but just bounced the rear there and man its bouncy now... prolly related to the puddle underneath it!!