PDA

View Full Version : bike wont start, help!

stanie
31-03-09, 04:47 PM
hi,
sv650 naked 05.
road bike sunday, did about 10 miles, no issues.
got kitted up this morning to ride to work (fair weather rider ;-) ). bike wouldnt start. could hear fuel pump go through its motions, but nothing on the button. lights on, everything else seemed fine.
got de-kitted, cussed and swore a bit, jumped in car.

got home, tried again, nothing. checked site glass for oil level, it was low, so bought some oil filled it to just below full line. still nothing. i wondered if there was a low level switch in there which held the starter back. so, left bike upright for a minute or so, lent it to the right (opposite to stand side) still nothing.

anybody got any ideas?
thanks in advance.

rictus01
31-03-09, 04:49 PM
kill switch, sidestand cutout, clutch cutout, at a first guess.

And no there isn't an oil level cutout switch of any kind.

Sosha
31-03-09, 04:50 PM
Eliminated:

In Gear?
Kill Switch?

Does it attempt to start? Can you hear the starter clicking?

Edit - Woah too slow....

xXBADGERXx
31-03-09, 04:51 PM
A couple of switches here that could cause issues , you have to pull the clutch in don`t you to start her , so could be that , there is also the side stand switch that could be faulty ........ and the biggest one of them all that is dead easy to do is the big red cutout switch on the right hand bar ...... if it`s that then your gonna feel a right pillock :) . I`d check those first , does the dashboard say anything when you turn the ignition on ?

Damn too slow with my responses as well

stanie
31-03-09, 05:06 PM
thanks for the speedy replies so far guys!!!

i dont need to pull clutch in, previous owner mustve disconected that.
kill switch is ok, because when i turn key fuel pump does its thing.
i tried pushing in and out the side stand switch.
that started motor doesnt attempt to connect, just nothing when i hit starter switch.

Dave20046
31-03-09, 05:15 PM
fuses

Rai86
31-03-09, 05:22 PM
check the wiring to the clutch switch it shouldnt be bridged probably not connected any more

Dave20046
31-03-09, 05:24 PM
sorry for the derail but rai is that you in your pic?

Rai86
31-03-09, 05:26 PM
yeh its me ...i am a legend

Dave20046
31-03-09, 05:29 PM
I know :^o

Wideboy
31-03-09, 05:30 PM
lier its me

stanie
31-03-09, 06:30 PM
check the wiring to the clutch switch it shouldnt be bridged probably not connected any more

BINGO! thanks rai86!!!

im kind of ****ed off i didnt look for that myself, but with the low oil (i only checked that as i thought the oil light that came on, didnt normally, tho i now kinow it does after hassling my brother to check his bike out!) i just wondered about a low level switch!

anyway, thansk again to everybody for the suggestions :-)

londonlady
31-03-09, 06:42 PM

thort it was that col guy? hmmm :^o

chompy
31-03-09, 08:49 PM

Rai86
31-03-09, 08:53 PM
BINGO! thanks rai86!!!

im kind of ****ed off i didnt look for that myself, but with the low oil (i only checked that as i thought the oil light that came on, didnt normally, tho i now kinow it does after hassling my brother to check his bike out!) i just wondered about a low level switch!

anyway, thansk again to everybody for the suggestions :-)

Wahoo glad its sorted

god im good :rolleyes:

and Londonlady yup it is col, was trying to be funny

londonlady
31-03-09, 09:39 PM
fair do's