PDA

View Full Version : Me being a numpty - no neutral light and fi light is on

Whitehouse
01-04-09, 09:44 PM
Was trying to sort my indicator relay out for my k8 sport today as its not been flashing the correct way since i put it on, id seen a post on another forum about it an decided to try it the way they said. Not much happened so me being a numpty i decide to try the wire on the relay on another wire on the bike. I turned on the ignition to try the indicators and nothing happened but the fi light came on and the fuel pump wouldnt wind up!!
This is when i started to panic a bit because i was meant to be going for a ride out!! Anyway i put the sidestand up with the ignition on and everything whirred away as normal except the light wont come on when im in neutral.
So basically i can start the bike but i have to have the sidestand up to be able to do so, if i turn the ignition on with it down the fi light comes on and CHEC appears on the dash where the temp would be.

Any info on the problem would be greatly appreciated

peterco
02-04-09, 04:20 PM
Not good at electric's,so using the wiring diagram from Hayne's manual.
Sidestand switch, Dk green wire goes to the Fuse box and relay/diode unit,
So checking the relay would be first point of call.

pete

Whitehouse
02-04-09, 09:21 PM
Cheers, keep meaning to order myself a haynes for it just havent got round to it. Il prob get one and have a look through, it is rideable but i wanna sort it out otherwise il get paranoid about it!!

flymo
02-04-09, 09:48 PM
check all fuses to make sure you didnt blow one of them.

tigersaw
02-04-09, 10:44 PM
i decide to try the wire on the relay on another wire on the bike.

What other wire?
Have you tried reversing what you did?

Whitehouse
03-04-09, 06:00 AM
i checked all the fuses any theyr all ok, the problem i had was the relay i got from banditmania had three wires(pos, neg and signal). Looking at all the posts about installing a relay i could only find ones where people have just used a simple 2 wire setup and when i followed the instructions i got with the relay it still wasnt flashing right.
Looking back it would have been alot easier to ride the bike to banditmania and just get them to fit it, hindsights a wonderful thing!!!

dual-power sv
03-04-09, 03:25 PM
hey, i put my self a new relay on yesterday. i think your problem is, is that you've cut the wrong blue wire, the right wires to cut are the brown and light blue wires. looking at another thread that helped me yestrerday, well saved my life, it has a really good pic to show which two wires to use, and here it is
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k164/DarrenStewartTait/DSC00039.jpg

one a standard one there is 7 connectors on here there is only 5, the two that are missing off here are the two your should use, with the brown being the live and the blue being the flashing live.

the other blue wires are for the safety start systems, it's easy enough to resolder the wire in.

Whitehouse
03-04-09, 03:47 PM
I think you saw the same thread as me, i tried doing the same as that but the relay i had had an extra wire :confused: i think theyv probably given me the wrong relay and iv tried fitting it as it says on the instructions and got the wires mixed up with the ones to use on the thread i saw. I think im just gonna stick with the bulb type instead of messing about with led ones, i just need to sort out the issue im havin with the sidestand and fi light coming on

dual-power sv
03-04-09, 03:50 PM
yea its only a two wire relay on the k3 onwards sv, mine works a treat, and that only has two wires. i got mine off busters, for £15 its wernt to bad, although i mite have put the soldering iron on it by accident and melted half the casing :p