PDA

View Full Version : chain and sprockets

kurtis.randle
02-04-09, 11:41 AM
is there any point in buying standard steal sprokets and a profesional chain , or do people use the chain twice even know they say change at the same time ?? as i can only seem to find standard sprokets

Geoffrey
02-04-09, 11:43 AM
a worn chain speeds up the wear of the sprockets and vice versa.

kurtis.randle
02-04-09, 11:56 AM
a worn chain speeds up the wear of the sprockets and vice versa.

is there any point in buying standard steal sprokets and a profesional chain thou ,as iff your going to replace at the same time surely u should get standard chain as well??

dirtydog
02-04-09, 12:08 PM
what exactly do you mean by a "professional chain"?

kurtis.randle
02-04-09, 12:12 PM
what exactly do you mean by a "professional chain"?

#Theres the standard one then the top quality profesional one .
surely you can use the pro one more than onece you pay the extra monny dont you or is that piontless monny spent?

if you have to change it at the same time?

dosnt deem to of streched that much and looks like its in good con still thats the chain im talking about sprokets are gone.

jambo
02-04-09, 12:13 PM
Original chains are DID endless items.
Original sprockets are steel.

Both do a very good job, most chains come with a rivet link so you don't have to remove the swing arm (not that this is impossible or a bad time to re-grease all the bearings).

You can get alloy sprockets which are lighter. They wear much faster and for a road bike they are of deeply questionable benefits for anything other than aesthetics.

Jambo

Edit: "Professional" is rather meaningless, I'd suggest going for an O or X ring chain from a known manufacturer such as AFAIM, DID, Tsubaki etc..

Geoffrey
02-04-09, 12:14 PM
both chris and dave recommend steel sprockets and a quality chain, have a look on the b anc c express website.

kurtis.randle
02-04-09, 12:16 PM
both chris and dave recommend steel sprockets and a quality chain, have a look on the b anc c express website.

but then the steel sprokets look alot and feel by touch alot worn than the cain , whats the website please.

yorkie_chris
02-04-09, 12:18 PM
Professional chain? What's it done its degree in?

dirtydog
02-04-09, 12:18 PM
yeah you probably could use the chain with new sprockets.
I only ever use standard O ring chains and steel sprockets and I normally change them at the same time. The stuff I normally get costs me around £90 for the chain and sprockets whereas a DID premium X ring gold chain will cost you £90 without sprockets

yorkie_chris
02-04-09, 12:20 PM
X rings are a waste of time IMO. And gold side plates... well ...

kurtis.randle
02-04-09, 12:22 PM
((((((yeah you probably could use the chain with new sprockets. ))))
i only ever use standard o ring chains and steel sprockets and i normally change them at the same time. The stuff i normally get costs me around £90 for the chain and sprockets whereas a did premium x ring gold chain will cost you £90 without sprockets

would anyone else recomend this

yorkie_chris
02-04-09, 12:24 PM
You could get away with it, but I don't really see the point of faffing around. I would not even hazard a guess as to what mileage you could expect.

The best economy comes from fitting and properly maintaining a good quality C+S set. So I'd be looking for the full set from B and C express. Aiming for a quality tsubaki chain and some JT sprockets.

dirtydog
02-04-09, 12:24 PM
That's exactly why I buy standard O ring chains, i once bought a gold chain and hard anodised rear sprocket definitely wouldn't bother again

dirtydog
02-04-09, 12:26 PM

Just to make myself clear i'm not recommending that you do I'm just saying that you could get away with it, as YC say how long it would last wouldn't want to guess at

jambo
02-04-09, 12:27 PM
Without anyone else being able to inspect your chain, it's a little difficult to recommend this.

Personally I tend to find I get through about 2 front sprockets during the life of 1 rear sprocket and at that point I replace the chain & sprockets together.

You can replace all components individually as they come up, but you tend to spend rather more time riding with one or more components well past their best. Given some of the posts we've had in the past where people have done major damage to their bikes with a failed chain, most people will be fairly cautious on recommending you eek out more life from an unknown one.

Jambo

yorkie_chris
02-04-09, 12:35 PM
major damage to their bikes with a failed chain,

And themselves!

Alpinestarhero
02-04-09, 12:59 PM
just got my new chain and new sprockets from B and C express. I got a tsukabi chain; the guy on the phone offered me three types; a basic one (just under 100) a middle one (105) and an X-ring top spec one (112). I got the middle one.

I would always replace chain and sprockets as a set; my front sprocket is currently more worn than my rear (the hooked teeth are quite apparent on the frone sprocket) and the chain, whilst mostly good, now has an unremovable kink in it (although I have seen worse kinks). Since all the parts work together, replacing some of the compoents and not the others seems to me not a great idea. Plus, while everything is off anyway, why not just replace it all?

Nothing wrong with replacing things earlier than their expected life. But there might be a problem trying to use a component well past its expected life...

Alpinestarhero
02-04-09, 01:02 PM
but then the steel sprokets look alot and feel by touch alot worn than the cain , whats the website please.

Describe how they look please?

They syouldnt feel worn, not if you are kind to your chain and keep it well lubricated (I cant stand the sight of a rusty, flappy chain!!!! argh!!! I once lubed a guys chain on his R1 at the ace cafe, because it just pee'd me off so much. Of course, I asked him if he would like some chain lube first, he said "yea, i suppose"...i said he might wanna check the tension aswell as it was pretty flappy...)

Viney
02-04-09, 02:14 PM
Chain life depends on how you look after them. I have only every changed chain and sprockets togehter. I have changed the front sprocket a coulpe of times during it, but overall its a full set.

A wise man of a Squid variety always stated to use a Suzuki OEM front sprocket as they are better than any of the pattern parts out there. Hes probably right, but i still havent changed mine over from the kit package.

yorkie_chris
02-04-09, 05:52 PM
OEM = JT sprockets as available from bandcexpress.co.uk

kurtis.randle
02-04-09, 08:27 PM
describe how they look please?

They syouldnt feel worn, not if you are kind to your chain and keep it well lubricated (i cant stand the sight of a rusty, flappy chain!!!! Argh!!! I once lubed a guys chain on his r1 at the ace cafe, because it just pee'd me off so much. Of course, i asked him if he would like some chain lube first, he said "yea, i suppose"...i said he might wanna check the tension aswell as it was pretty flappy...)

as in the chain hasnt streched much so not had to ajust much + looks and feels tight not loose like an old chain needing replaceing?

kurtis.randle
02-04-09, 08:29 PM
just got my new chain and new sprockets from b and c express. I got a tsukabi chain; the guy on the phone offered me three types; a basic one (just under 100) a middle one (105) and an x-ring top spec one (112). I got the middle one.

I would always replace chain and sprockets as a set; my front sprocket is currently more worn than my rear (the hooked teeth are quite apparent on the frone sprocket) and the chain, whilst mostly good, now has an unremovable kink in it (although i have seen worse kinks). Since all the parts work together, replacing some of the compoents and not the others seems to me not a great idea. Plus, while everything is off anyway, why not just replace it all?

Nothing wrong with replacing things earlier than their expected life. But there might be a problem trying to use a component well past its expected life...

monneys abit tight at mo thats why dont might the labour do it myself so dont might doing it again when the chain needs doing .

kurtis.randle
08-04-09, 09:17 PM
monneys abit tight at mo thats why dont might the labour do it myself so dont might doing it again when the chain needs doing .

rr

Alpinestarhero
09-04-09, 02:25 PM
Kurtis; you've mde a couple of threads now about your chain and sprockets. Your sprockets are shagged, and therefore the chain is 95% likley to also be knackered. I recently replaced my chain, and whilst on the bike it SEEMED ok (tension wise etc) when we had it off the bike, we found it was pretty stretched.

So here is the best advice I can give you:

1) get out your wallet

2) swap the money in the wallet for new chain and sprockets and chain lubricant

3) replace old, worn chain and sprockets with nice new shiny items

4) lubricate chain.

5) continue to lubricate chain with each new tankfull of petrol.

:santa:

rowdy
09-04-09, 02:38 PM
yeah you probably could use the chain with new sprockets.
I only ever use standard O ring chains and steel sprockets and I normally change them at the same time. The stuff I normally get costs me around £90 for the chain and sprockets whereas a DID premium X ring gold chain will cost you £90 without sprockets
Just got mine through the post today, I ordered D.I.D o ring but got an x ring "professional" (it's just a name to make you think you must have it) chain instead, this and the sprockets for less than £70 delivered:D

thedonal
09-04-09, 03:01 PM
I was under the impression that X-Ring chains are heavier duty and more suited to the SV due to the pull the chain gets under acceleration (all that loverly torque). My regular mechanic said as much too.

It just seems to happen that the DID and Tsubaki X-Ring chains that I've seen are all gold coloured. I got the O-Ring set on currently (wrong item sent- didn't spot it until the fitter brought the bike out to me). Doesn't seem to have lasted as long as the O-Ring chain I had previously.

Here's a question- is there much difference, apart from about 20 squid between DID and Tsubaki?

rowdy
09-04-09, 03:21 PM
I was under the impression that X-Ring chains are heavier duty and more suited to the SV due to the pull the chain gets under acceleration (all that loverly torque). My regular mechanic said as much too.

It just seems to happen that the DID and Tsubaki X-Ring chains that I've seen are all gold coloured. I got the O-Ring set on currently (wrong item sent- didn't spot it until the fitter brought the bike out to me). Doesn't seem to have lasted as long as the O-Ring chain I had previously.

Here's a question- is there much difference, apart from about 20 squid between DID and Tsubaki?
The last chain I bought was a D.I.D x-ring. This was gold in colour.
The D.I.D x-ring chain I got today isn't gold in colour, but has 525VX stamped on all the links which tallies with the box it comes in, which states it's x-ring.

Miss Alpinestarhero
10-04-09, 12:56 PM
kurtis.randle:

Sorry for the bluntness of my post but....

lots of people on here have given you their opinion on your chain and sprocket. The overall opinion is "its shagged, change it"

You dont seem to want to take the comments on board, so why keep asking or trying to make out that your chain isnt as bad as it looks?

If you dont want to spend your money on something important for the sake of saving a few bob then fine. But your risk of an accident is significantly higher. It will be on your conscience not mine.

Maria

yorkie_chris
10-04-09, 12:58 PM

Sod all difference TBH.

X ring chains use an X ring. O ring chains use an O ring. IMO an X ring is only gonna help if you don't oil it.

Gold side plates just look $hite...

thedonal
10-04-09, 01:34 PM
I dunno YC- they looked OK on my SV- but then my bike is yeller!

TBH- i'm not that bothered about the gold colouring, so much as the durability of the chain...

Alpinestarhero
10-04-09, 02:08 PM
Sod all difference TBH.

X ring chains use an X ring. O ring chains use an O ring. IMO an X ring is only gonna help if you don't oil it.

Oi, i had gold plates, looked great

until they faded in about 5 seconds

got plain ol' metal colour now.

Dave20046
10-04-09, 03:11 PM
lol xring suits me down to the ground :P

mine's gold plated too, but then again I am a bit that way inclined

kurtis.randle
11-04-09, 07:52 PM
kurtis.randle:

Sorry for the bluntness of my post but....

lots of people on here have given you their opinion on your chain and sprocket. The overall opinion is "its shagged, change it"

You dont seem to want to take the comments on board, so why keep asking or trying to make out that your chain isnt as bad as it looks?

If you dont want to spend your money on something important for the sake of saving a few bob then fine. But your risk of an accident is significantly higher. It will be on your conscience not mine.

Maria

Well im not bothered to much just wanted peoples thoughts ect but there no need to get ****sy just dont post iff it bores you thanks

Alpinestarhero
11-04-09, 07:53 PM
Well im not bothered to much just wanted peoples thoughts ect but there no need to get ****sy just dont post iff it bores you thanks

Soooo what will you do about your chain and sprockets? Given most people (all people?) have said change them as a complete set (chain AND sprockets - thats both - at the same time)?

kurtis.randle
11-04-09, 08:03 PM
soooo what will you do about your chain and sprockets? Given most people (all people?) have said change them as a complete set (chain and sprockets - thats both - at the same time)?

look in other post, awnsers there,

Seggons
11-04-09, 10:26 PM

:(

Well to be fair I did walk up to the bloke that looks after my bike and said that I needed one of those things people wear round their necks and 2 of those circular saw blade round thingys. The bikes now got a chavtastic gold plated chain which does give me the incentive to clean it.

:mrgreen:

Oh no, I said the word clean in a reply to one of Yorkie Chris'es posts.