PDA

View Full Version : Water in the switch?... also speeding :(

JonnyBateman
02-04-09, 05:53 PM
Just jetwashed the bike and afterwards the hazards were flashing. The switch isnt activated or anything silly like that, there doesnt seem to be any loose wires. Any ideas? Do I just leave it to dry out?

My worry is that the battery could go flat before everything dries out, or if its something more complicated.

To top it all off, as I returned a missed call from my sister while sitting around near the petrol station, she tells me theres a letter for me from the police. Caught speeding in the car last week, 3 points and a 60 quid fine.

Haven't even sent my license away after passing my bike test a month ago and now I'll be sending it to get updated to add the bike and 3 points and a new photo all at the same time! Could only happen to me :(

hovis
02-04-09, 06:07 PM
dont use a jet wash on a bike..... there is no need, and its too powerfull.

as you have found out, it will also get rid of all the gresse in the bearings,

JonnyBateman
02-04-09, 06:14 PM
yep, I thought I was pretty careful to only direct it at the tank, the frame and the rear hugger to get the dirt off, then went over the rest with the soft foam brush, then gave it a rinse from a distance of a couple of metres.

Wont be doing it again. Think it'll dry out ok though?

hovis
02-04-09, 06:17 PM
yep, I thought I was pretty careful to only direct it at the tank, the frame and the rear hugger to get the dirt off, then went over the rest with the soft foam brush, then gave it a rinse from a distance of a couple of metres.

Wont be doing it again. Think it'll dry out ok though?

dunno? can you take the switch apart, dry it then spray some WD40 in there?

JonnyBateman
02-04-09, 07:02 PM
Right well i loosened the casing on the switch to try to get it to dry out quicker, but don't want to take the whole thing apart because I don't really know what I'm doing and don't want to make things worse!

There has been a development in the situation though, the lights are solidly on most of the time, with the right side flashing every so often
I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad sign.

I keep the bike garaged about 4 miles from home and don't want to leave it until I know what's going on with it.

I'm not having a very good day.

simesb
02-04-09, 10:55 PM
Is your bike alarmed?

Luckypants
02-04-09, 10:59 PM
Might be an idea to disconnect the battery until it dries out?

JonnyBateman
02-04-09, 10:59 PM
Yeah its got a metasystem alarm and immobiliser. That seemed to be working fine as did everything except that the hazards were flashing. I keep the bike away from home so I waited around for a couple of hours, taking the bike out for 5 mins every half hour or so to try and keep the battery going. As I was going home though the lights had stopped flashing and were lit solid but starting to fade and the bike wouldn't start so I'm guessing the battery will be dead by now. I'll see if it all dries out by saturday and recharge the battery. Think it'll be ok?

JonnyBateman
02-04-09, 11:01 PM
Might be an idea to disconnect the battery until it dries out?

Thought that'd be good but it was getting dark and there was no outside light so I put it in the garage. I won't be able to get back to it until after work tomorrow :(

simesb
02-04-09, 11:04 PM
Could be the alarm - turn the ignition on (with a charged battery) and arm/disarm the alarm. Can't remember the combination, but YC sorted my meta with that once when it was doing something similar.

ThEGr33k
02-04-09, 11:43 PM
How were you caught? :(

JonnyBateman
02-04-09, 11:46 PM
How were you caught? :(

It was on the way to work last wednesday. Must have been a mobile speed camera. I was i the car not on the bike but when I saw the letter I thought it was going to be the bike getting me into trouble already!

ThEGr33k
03-04-09, 02:19 PM
It was on the way to work last wednesday. Must have been a mobile speed camera. I was i the car not on the bike but when I saw the letter I thought it was going to be the bike getting me into trouble already!

That sucks :( Lets hope it was at least not a bloody hidden one... :rolleyes:

yorkie_chris
03-04-09, 05:23 PM
Could be the alarm - turn the ignition on (with a charged battery) and arm/disarm the alarm. Can't remember the combination, but YC sorted my meta with that once when it was doing something similar.

Aye the metas if you press button with ignition on it puts hazards on.

If you turn hazards on by switch at same time it will flash at double rate.

Give the switchgear a burst of ACF50 or GT85 through the gaps.

JonnyBateman
04-04-09, 04:17 PM
Got back to the bike last night after work with a battery charger. Battery was flat to the point it won't recharge. I took it to a garage for them to test it and they confirmed it's knackered.

I called the dealershop where I bought the bike as the battery was brand new a month ago, so I'm hoping that its under a guarantee (I won't be telling them about the jetwash incident though, I'll just say I hadn't started the bike for a week or something, they have more money than I do!).

Bloke I spoke to says I need to talk to the salesman who sold me the bike and he'll be about on monday, so hopefully I'll get it sorted then. If not, I asked for a price for a new one and the fella said £54... that's and expensive jetwash right there.

Hopefully that'll give everything a chance to dry out and there won't be any problems, but that remains to be seen!