PDA

View Full Version : Cheap bike place down Swindon way.

Mark_h
02-04-09, 06:34 PM
Some of you lot live in that general direction. I'm sure I've heard of a mythical shop in Swindon selling clearance bike stuff. Anyone know who/where it is? Is it worth dragging myself all the way down there?

I'm thinking of doing track days this year so need to get some kit that zips together all the way around rather than my huge collection of largely incompatible gear that currently clutters the shed.

Ta,
Mark

sam anon
02-04-09, 07:38 PM
I do, it's opposite (and ran by) the Big George Whites outlet.

They have a smaller version at the Slough branch if thats easier for you?

Mark_h
02-04-09, 08:13 PM
Is it any good?

squirrel_hunter
02-04-09, 08:19 PM
Its the Frank Thomas warehouse. If you like Frank Thomas you'll love it.

ogden
02-04-09, 10:45 PM
Oh. FT. No wonder they're cheap.

Wait til HG are doing clearance stuff. I picked up a near top-of-the-range jacket for 50 quid a few years ago and some trousers for 80. Ok, it's mismatched and pretty hideous, but it does the job.

I suspect this year will be the year that I go made-to-measure though. It's that or savings. Prace bets now.

Mark_h
03-04-09, 08:31 AM
Problem is I've got loads of "good enough" but mis-matched kit to deal with everything from the hottest day (Mesh jacket with armour) down to the most foul winter weather (several sizes too big HG jacket facilitating the wearing of many layers). I have leathers that work well for most of the year, and a huge selection of variously performant waterproof over-things but nothing that seems to be compliant with track day regs.

I could get a zip changed in my leather trousers so they will match up with the leather jacket for about £50 at 9-lives but the trousers do not really come up high enough at the back for a zipped together combo with my "quite short" jacket to allow me to move a lot so I'd need to go buy a BMW or something else I can ride sitting bolt upright :( or perhaps a racing Segway.

So looking for a good enough two piece leather suit with a full zip for not too much money that is comfy, safe and not too power-ranger looking as I prefer to not attract too much attention from the police and weekend heroes who seem to see anyone in race colours as someone looking for a race.

Infinity had some stuff in a while ago but only in XXXXXL or XXXXXS and it seems most clearence places follow suit in only having extreme sizes or mismatched kit that will not fasten together.

Am I likley to find what I'm looking for in GW-Slough (not too far away) or GW-Swindon (quite a way away)? Does the place in Swindon do anything other then FT as I've not been overly impressed with much of the FT stuff as I appear to be more Dainese shaped than FT shaped but not Dainese wealthy.

I don't want to go spendign a fortune on somethign for track days to find I only do one and end up with some exotic suit that is no good for day to day and never gets used in anger on a track again.

HELP !!

ogden
03-04-09, 08:46 AM
When I say mismatched, I mean aesthetically. The trousers and jacket zip together perfectly and would be absolutely fine for track use.

For day-to-day use I have some excellent Goretex-lined textile gear (also bought cheap from HG in an end-of-line sale).

Seriously, you're better off buying top-quality end-of-line kit in a sale than stuff like Frank Thomas that's been discounted because it's complete crap.

DanAbnormal
03-04-09, 09:07 AM
Hey Mark, I can only echo what Ogden says about FT gear. It really is not worth the money. HG all the way!

Mark_h
03-04-09, 09:43 AM
This is a bit worrying. Me and Ogden aligned. Time to go buy a lottery ticket. May pop to Infinity lunchtime to see if they want to get a few more quid in before end of fianncial year and do my a mega deal on something decent.

HG seem to have very little suitable in their sales recently.

Moto select in Farnham have some BARGAIN one piece suits at the moment but my pie:exercice ratio is far too biased in the pie direction for me to get a one piece anything.

Sosha
03-04-09, 09:55 AM
Ebay worth a look?

Mark_h
03-04-09, 10:01 AM
Ebay worth a look?

Not really because you then go down the Hovis route of buying loads of crap that never fits. Need to find something that fits well. Also I'm a bit old fashioned in that I rarely go into a shop to try stuff on then buy it online elsewhere. If the shop is prepared to hold stock and let me try things out I'm prepared to pay a few quid extra for them to still be there next time I need them.

sam anon
03-04-09, 11:59 AM
It's by no means all Frank Thomas stuff. In a word, yes, I thought it was good.

Mark_h
03-04-09, 06:52 PM
Just found two piece Hein Gericke leather suit. £200 bit of a bargain. Anyone had HG leather? I've had their textiles and they were good but not had their leather stuff.

ogden
03-04-09, 07:26 PM
As mentioned up there, my end-of-line bargains were HG leathers. They're absolutely fine.

arcdef
04-04-09, 05:09 PM
I have to say, i wouldn't buy Frank Thomas again, my jacket seam came away recently for no good reason, ok i got a replacement but i wont be buying one again!

metalmonkey
04-04-09, 05:24 PM
Just found two piece Hein Gericke leather suit. £200 bit of a bargain. Anyone had HG leather? I've had their textiles and they were good but not had their leather stuff.

Yes mine are good, they seem good value for the money my leathers have become like wearing a second skin. I prefer leather to textile, but thats just me.

arcdef
05-04-09, 04:22 PM
Btw, infinity in Farnborough has recently turned into an outlet store, not sure what exactly they have just seen the sign outside, may be worth a look.