PDA

View Full Version : No oil level, but plenty of oil!!

Baldyman
02-04-09, 09:53 PM
Hi Peeps,
Never ever lost any oil on my K3 naked, which is now at 20k.
Came back fro speedway tonight and as I turned the bike in my drive I could hear an ominous knocking (nothing heard before this)
I checked the oil level window and no oil showing at all :sad:
Gradually added oil until I had added approx 1 litre!!! but still no oil in window and none on floor.
Used a screwdriver as a dipstick and compared the screwdriver next to the window and the level was clearly higher than the window :shock:

.........now I know you won't laugh, but I thought I'd turn the engine over to move the oil around, but left the oil filler plug out:rolleyes:

So now I have coated me, the SV, my blackbird and the garage wall with engine oil. I had expected "some" oil to come out, but not Mount Vesuvius!!

Dear Org what the hell is going on?
Do I have a blocked filter and has anyone come across these fault before?

Cheers in advance
Leigh

Baph
02-04-09, 09:58 PM
:lol:

I'm sorry, but you were wrong. :lol:

Expect someone with engine internals knowledge to be along shortly. In the mean time, I'm sorry, but :lol:.

dizzyblonde
02-04-09, 10:06 PM
#-o

thats an epic fail!!!!

:smt046

sorry!

carnivore
02-04-09, 10:10 PM
Praise the lord!!!!
Gaw'd damn it, you've struck oil!!!!!!!!

I'd be inclined to dump the oil and change the filter with the prescribed amount of oil.

Ceri JC
03-04-09, 08:13 AM
I nearly accidentally turned the engine over with the oil filler plug out once. I noticed in time and plugged it. I have always wondered since quite how much would have come out though, so thanks for enlightening me. :)

Sorry to hear about this though and hope your bike is okay.

Dave20046
03-04-09, 08:20 AM
didn't think there was an issue with running the engine with the oil filler off? Mine's fine. Only an issue if it's massively overfilled....oh wait :razz:

Baldyman
03-04-09, 08:36 AM
Well both bikes, me and the garage will not rust for a while, but as the laughter dies down..............why no oil showing in the level window?

Dave20046
03-04-09, 08:40 AM
Well both bikes, me and the garage will not rust for a while, but as the laughter dies down..............why no oil showing in the level window?
Is the window blacked out or can you see through it clear as?

Luckypants
03-04-09, 08:48 AM

Because the level was already up past the window? So you see no line of oil where expected and assume it is low, not overfilled?

pmapp
03-04-09, 09:48 AM
I'm sure you are, but are you checking it with the bike upright, level ground etc blah blah.

Baldyman
03-04-09, 10:33 AM
I could see bare metal thru the window and the oil had been in for nearly 5k, so it was very dark and would/should have "coloured" the window.
I've just drained the oil and although there were a few silvery streaks, no "bits" came out.
I'm going to buy some new oil, replace the filter and fill VERY carefully and see what we get.

Cheers

Dave20046
03-04-09, 10:35 AM
cool, let us know how it goes.

Biker Biggles
03-04-09, 10:40 AM
Harbinger of doom me but I reckon your oil level was low,hence nothing in the sight glass,and you have wrecked the engine.I bet you a semi chewed dog biscuit thats what happened.

_Stretchie_
03-04-09, 11:06 AM
Thank god, I thought you meant the Blackbird for a minute there

.........now I know you won't laugh, but I thought I'd turn the engine over to move the oil around, but left the oil filler plug out:rolleyes:

Hmm, sounds familiar.. I know a Mofo that has done this.. And it wasn't me......

Ceri JC
03-04-09, 11:32 AM
I'm sure you are, but are you checking it with the bike upright, level ground etc blah blah.

Yes. Crucially, have you done it in accordance with the manual; run the bike from cold for a few minutes, turn it off, leave it to stand for a few minutes and then check it.

If you don't do it this way, the oil level reading is almost meaningless; I've had it showing nothing in the sight glass when I new it to be overfilled when checking it whilst the bike was hot.

Dan
03-04-09, 12:04 PM
I could see bare metal thru the window and the oil had been in for nearly 5k, so it was very dark and would/should have "coloured" the window.
I've just drained the oil and although there were a few silvery streaks, no "bits" came out.
I'm going to buy some new oil, replace the filter and fill VERY carefully and see what we get.

Cheers

Easy to find out if it was over/underfilled then... measure how much you took out.

Baldyman
03-04-09, 03:15 PM
So................3 ltrs came out and taking into account the oil I put in (approx 0.75 - 1 ltr) then that "should" mean the level was nearly OK (Book says 2.3ltrs.)

Just put in 2.3 ltrs and nothing showing in window!
Started it up and there was a bit of a knock from the rear cyl, but it calmed down to a ticking inside 15 secs. Ran at tickover to 30 degrees, left it for 3 mins and still no oil showing.
I'm off to a mechanic as this just doesn't make sense :smt022

Baph
03-04-09, 03:22 PM
When changing oil/filter on a pointy, they actually take close to 4l of oil!! I make that around 2l that you had in there before filling.

Ceri JC
03-04-09, 03:33 PM
When changing oil/filter on a pointy, they actually take close to 4l of oil!! I make that around 2l that you had in there before filling.

Do you mean when brimming it (as you would when storing the bike for long periods), or just your standard oil change?

rigor
03-04-09, 03:35 PM
From memory, if you've done a filter change as well, you need more that the 2.3L marked on the engine....

Baph
03-04-09, 03:36 PM
Do you mean when brimming it (as you would when storing the bike for long periods), or just your standard oil change?

Standard oil change, as in drop the oil, remove & replace filter, fill back up to just under the full mark.

Always been just short of 4l in mine (IIRC, the engine is stamped 3.5l, then there's the filter to take into account).

EDIT: Just been out to the bike, it's stamped with 2300ml, but it's always been more than 3l, and not far off 4l (though never measured it) to do an oil/filter change.

yorkie_chris
03-04-09, 04:10 PM
Needs more than 2.3. Curvy takes that without filter change. Pointy also has oil cooler to refill.

I suggest you are just checking it wrong or have filled past the window (with the fresh anyway)
Before changing it did you try tilt the bike towards you etc?

Baldyman
03-04-09, 05:31 PM
Took it up to 2.5 ltrs and lent it right over and the oil is just showing!
Took it up to just over 3ltrs and its bang on.
The engine is even stamped 2.3 ltrs and chap 2.14 "Oil change" in the manual definitely said 2.3 ltrs....................however in chap 2.15 "Oil filter change" it says 2.7 ltrs.....but that is still nowhere near the 3.1 ltrs that mine holds.....gggrrrhhhh
Loads of heartache because of incorrect data.

Thanks for your input gang

yorkie_chris
03-04-09, 05:34 PM
It may need another topup after being run and the oil galleries and cooler have been filled.

mattb200
03-04-09, 06:57 PM
Standard oil change, as in drop the oil, remove & replace filter, fill back up to just under the full mark.

Always been just short of 4l in mine (IIRC, the engine is stamped 3.5l, then there's the filter to take into account).

EDIT: Just been out to the bike, it's stamped with 2300ml, but it's always been more than 3l, and not far off 4l (though never measured it) to do an oil/filter change.

Hmmm interesting. I have thought exactly the same after changing the oil (& filter) on my K3 several times. Definately nore than the 2.3l stamped on it! Think i always settle for *about* 3 litres to get to full line.
I have really never quite understood how they can say 2.3L!!!

thefallenangel
03-04-09, 06:59 PM
Hmmm interesting. I have thought exactly the same after changing the oil (& filter) on my K3 several times. Definately nore than the 2.3l stamped on it! Think i always settle for *about* 3 litres to get to full line.
I have really never quite understood how they can say 2.3L!!!

2.3 without filter could be to the minimum mark?

Baph
03-04-09, 07:02 PM
2.3 without filter could be to the minimum mark?

As YC alluded to, 2.3l is the engine case capacity (minimum I suspect), then there's the oil filter & oil cooler (on a pointy only) to fill. The oil cooler itself probably takes somewhere around half a litre, possibly more.

thefallenangel
03-04-09, 07:04 PM
As YC alluded to, 2.3l is the engine case capacity (minimum I suspect), then there's the oil filter & oil cooler (on a pointy only) to fill. The oil cooler itself probably takes somewhere around half a litre, possibly more.

Well at least OP knows 3 litres of a can has to go.

squirrel_hunter
03-04-09, 07:46 PM
Hmm, sounds familiar.. I know a Mofo that has done this.. And it wasn't me......

Wasn't me either. I simply rode out of my estate to the end of the main road before I turned around and rode a little slower back to my garage to replace the filler plug. Oh, and to wipe the oil off of my leathers.

As for your engine, if your down a ltr you may be lucky. Depends on how long it been like that. I used to run one of my old engines like that and it lasted quite a while (relatively speaking).