PDA

View Full Version : Fork oil weights?

DANINPLYMOUTH
03-04-09, 07:09 AM
Morning, got my k-tech springs fitted yesterday, definatley much better than stock but the mechanic did recommed using a slightly heavier oil.
I went for motul 10w from k-tech. Now the only other one they list is 20w do you think this would be to much of a jump, or should i try finding a 15w think mandp list a motul 15w as i want to stick to motul now as i know different brands vary slightly so dont want to go for a different heavier oil just to find it the same as the 1 i have.
Is it possible to syringe fluid out of the forks? i mentioned this to him when i got the bike back as i didnt really wanna pay again for him to take the forks off and drain them properly but he wasn't keen on that idea.
Also is it ok to mix 2 oils together? as thought if i got some 20w oil and mixed it with 10w in there to make something just over 15
any ideas, gonna have a proper blast this weekend to see how they feel properly first though

simesb
03-04-09, 07:12 AM
Think syringing is out, unless you just want to take some out to make a custom mix (if you know what ratio you want). Hyperpro supply 15w with their kit for the pointy.

zadar
03-04-09, 07:17 AM
yes, you can mix it. to get in between you need something like 2 parts thin and 1 part thick.

flymo
03-04-09, 08:03 AM
best thing I can suggest is to ride it as it is for a period of time and get some experience over varying surfaces and types of bumps. When you are ready swap the oil out properly, this really means removing forks or its going to be real awkward.