PDA

View Full Version : Flickering oil pressure light

jamesw1024
03-04-09, 07:47 AM
Hi All

My oil pressure light has started flickering, had an hour's ride yesterday and it literally started as I pulled back up my drive. I turned the engine off, checked the oil, etc. and all was fine, started the bike and it didn't happen.

Rode to work this morning, no problem again.

I've found a post on here where someone else had a similar problem, there was a great reply on how to check the wiring, etc. if it happened again as it sounds like a bad connection.

My question is qould you ride the bike like this? It's almost certainly a false warning but should I take the risk?

Thanks

chompy
03-04-09, 11:54 AM
it could mean that the oil filter is blocked and therefore is going through the bypass valve instead of going through the filter, so the pressure would be high.

yorkie_chris
03-04-09, 12:04 PM
It is worth checking out. Remove the wire from the sensor, it should light the lamp when grounded.

it could mean that the oil filter is blocked and therefore is going through the bypass valve instead of going through the filter, so the pressure would be high.

Nah the switch activates for low pressure not high.

Bunks
03-04-09, 08:12 PM
I had the same problem. There was plenty of oil but sometimes the light flickered. You couldn't tell when it would do it.
I tried all sort of things. In the end I took off the rubber gromet that covers the oil presure switch and found it was really rusted. I took it off cleaned it up and put some WD on it. That was about 4 weeks ago and probably 1000 miles and no problem since. Hopefully yours will be as easy to repair.

Bunks

Stig
03-04-09, 09:41 PM
It's electrical for sure.