PDA

View Full Version : Issue with the tickover

Caddy2000
04-04-09, 05:50 PM
My K3 seems to be playing up. The tickover keeps on rising to 2100 to 2200 revs. Doesn't matter what I do to the idle adjuster.
I've recently fitted a new throttle cable, but it's fitted properly and there is the right amount of slack in the throttle grip.
It's quite annoying, could it be either the TPS or the auto-choke?

Cheers

Paul

Sid Squid
05-04-09, 06:40 AM
It's not the TPS, the high idle servo is a possibility but as you've just disturbed/renewed the throttle cable that's the obvious place to look first.

Remove the twistgrip housing and remove the cables then start the engine - does it behave normally? (After warming a bit obviously as the tickover will be high briefly when it's cold.)

When refitting, leave the closer cable slack, (or disconnected from the carbs/throttle bodies), while you adjust the opener, and make sure it's absolutely right before touching the closer.

Caddy2000
05-04-09, 11:02 AM
It's not the TPS, the high idle servo is a possibility but as you've just disturbed/renewed the throttle cable that's the obvious place to look first.

Remove the twistgrip housing and remove the cables then start the engine - does it behave normally? (After warming a bit obviously as the tickover will be high briefly when it's cold.)

When refitting, leave the closer cable slack, (or disconnected from the carbs/throttle bodies), while you adjust the opener, and make sure it's absolutely right before touching the closer.

Cheers Sid
I'm pretty sure that it's not the cables as there is the correct amount of movement there. Also the tickover doesn't seem to go straight to 2100, but will be at 1200 for a few seconds before raising.
The fact that the idle adjuster will adjust the 1200 rpm (i've adjusted that bit from 1100 to 1500), but each time the revs will pick up to the same spot as before.
I will check the cables out though, but what is the trigger for the high idle servo, and where is it?

Caddy

Caddy2000
07-04-09, 10:10 AM
Okay, I'm a plonker - it's official!

Always make sure that you connect ALL the pipes when putting everything back together.

I missed a vacume pipe off the airbox..... :smt101

{waits for verbal abuse}

plowsie
07-04-09, 10:29 AM
Done that before.

Sid Squid
07-04-09, 08:08 PM
Okay, I'm a plonker - it's official.
Don't give yourself a hard time over it, anyone who says they haven't made a similar error has never ever twirled spanner on anything.

Or they're just plain lying.

plowsie
07-04-09, 08:32 PM
Its when you look at it and go, 'well, it all looks right, ahh' lol.