PDA

View Full Version : Gladius 650 Anybody! Will there be a THOU ?

SV-net
04-04-09, 09:46 PM
First up are there any Gladius owners on here, whats our review? And does anybody know if there are plans for a thou model? I might be into the big un.

Paul the 6th
04-04-09, 09:48 PM
saw a gladius at york suzuki on thursday... looks like a cheap d!ldo :) hth

as for a thou, get an svThou :D

5tu
05-04-09, 08:06 AM
Unlikely to be a thou as the thou engine has stopped - No more SV thou, DL thou etc all thanks to the fookin tree huggers and the saving this environment crap

Whitehouse
05-04-09, 08:35 AM
what theres gonna be no more suzuki thou vtwins!! what is the world comin to :mad:

northwind
06-04-09, 04:18 PM
Unlikely to be a thou as the thou engine has stopped - No more SV thou, DL thou etc all thanks to the fookin tree huggers and the saving this environment crap

Or, because not enough people bought it ;) The 650 motor didn't meet euro 3 either, so they changed it till it did, with the thou they didn't think it was worthwhile because it just wasn't selling enough. Can't blame the treehuggers for that.

wyrdness
06-04-09, 04:28 PM
Or, because not enough people bought it ;) The 650 motor didn't meet euro 3 either, so they changed it till it did, with the thou they didn't think it was worthwhile because it just wasn't selling enough. Can't blame the treehuggers for that.

Northy, stop trying to inject common sense into his irrational thought processes ;)

You're right though. The Thou was never a big seller, despite fairly good reviews and a low price. I guess that the people who wanted a big v-twin were looking at Ducati and Aprilia, rather than Suzuki.

madjohn
06-04-09, 06:26 PM
First up are there any Gladius owners on here, whats our review? And does anybody know if there are plans for a thou model? I might be into the big un.

I've got one. What do you want to know.

I had a SVthou for 5yrs. I wish i still had her. Cracken bike.

Sally
07-04-09, 04:44 PM
Ooo the first gladius owner :)

zunkus
07-04-09, 05:02 PM
Hey there MadJohn, can you post some close up pics of the exhaust? and are you thinking that you'd change it sometime. I'm thinking of using it as a project to make something to look like the Buell's exhaust for my curvy.

dizzyblonde
07-04-09, 06:04 PM

Actually your right, like the Raptor they just couldn't get it through emissions laws

ThEGr33k
07-04-09, 06:17 PM
Has the engine ever made Suzuki much monies? A shame really as if the TL's had have worked and weren't rushed to jump on the V2 band wagon then Suzuki might still be making them, or better more upto date versions!!! No GSXR FTW :p

madjohn
07-04-09, 06:51 PM
Hey there MadJohn, can you post some close up pics of the exhaust? and are you thinking that you'd change it sometime. I'm thinking of using it as a project to make something to look like the Buell's exhaust for my curvy.

Hello zunkus

I'll have a go tomorrow but the back ends in bits as i'm painting some bits. All so trying to work out if my old SVthou shock will slot in to the back end.

The only pipe i've seen so far is from Scorpion. I'm wondering if the pipe work from the SV would fit, After all it is the same engine

dizzyblonde
07-04-09, 06:59 PM
looks better without the random blobs of plastic over the radiator John, are you keeping the frame exposed? :-)

madjohn
07-04-09, 07:12 PM
looks better without the random blobs of plastic over the radiator John, are you keeping the frame exposed? :-)

Oh aye. She looks a lot better with out the plastic bits. But im not going to do it untill after the first service. The frame needs tidying up. There's one or too exposed wires which i'm hoping i can hide behind the frame.

I'm also going to take a hack saw to bits A and B, And keep bit A.

dyzio
07-04-09, 07:44 PM
Jeeezzz!!! That exhaust is HUGE!!!

Dan
07-04-09, 07:46 PM
So, MadJohn, I see you're from Newcastle... I don't think I've noticed your name around the forum much, so if you haven't already, check out the Pennine Massive (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)section, and feel free to join in the rideouts/get togethers if you would like to. There's a growing number of us up in the 'Proper' North East.

Come on the Durham Easter Egg Run on Sunday.

Thingus
07-04-09, 08:09 PM
Looks like two moped exhaust ends put together, why not just one big fat one :( hope you get the changed soon.

ThEGr33k
07-04-09, 08:28 PM
Looks like two moped exhaust ends put together, why not just one big fat one :( hope you get the changed soon.

Funny you should say that... makes it sound like a moped too :( I think its safe to say that piece of crappy dead weight needs losing!

Must say it looks better without the plastic thing covering the frame!!! I dont et why they put that there. Sigh.

Hope you enjoy it :D

madjohn
07-04-09, 08:50 PM
Come on the Durham Easter Egg Run on Sunday.

I'll see what sort of condition i'm in on Sunday.:drink:and see if i can find Tesco's

dizzyblonde
07-04-09, 08:55 PM
Just had a thought, you didn't find your way down to Squires a couple of Sundays back did you John?

There were a lot of org members looking at your bike if you were ;-)

dyzio
07-04-09, 08:55 PM
Uuuu... an under seat would be the dogs danglies there... or a "motogp pipes" style thingy...
just a thought...

dual-power sv
08-04-09, 09:10 AM
The main thing i think we all want to know, mainly cuz its had very mixed reviews, is;

How good is the bike?
And how does it compare to the SV?

i'm considering trading the sv in for one, i quite fancy someting different and with abit of cut, chop and tinkering i think it could be a stunning bike.

Sally
08-04-09, 09:37 AM
How much better does it look already without them plastics? :)

madjohn
08-04-09, 06:03 PM
Just had a thought, you didn't find your way down to Squires a couple of Sundays back did you John?

There were a lot of org members looking at your bike if you were ;-)

Sorry wasn't me.

madjohn
08-04-09, 06:15 PM
The main thing i think we all want to know, mainly cuz its had very mixed reviews, is;

How good is the bike?
And how does it compare to the SV?

i'm considering trading the sv in for one, i quite fancy someting different and with abit of cut, chop and tinkering i think it could be a stunning bike.

I can't really compare it to a pointy but i did have a curvy years ago. So long ago in fact i cant remember much about it except it was a fun bike to ride. This one is the same. I like it.

If you can i would recommend getting a test ride.

The tinkering has all ready started. I've painted the sprocket, Sprocket hub and rear brake carrier black. But thanks to my dad he thought he would help out and he put the wrong black paint on which reacted to the primer.

The sprocket hub is a right mess and will need to be stripped back to bare metal and i'm then going to get it powder coated. I've put the right paint on for the time being because i want to use it for the local egg run on Saturday.

Nice colours on your SV by the way. Where did you get your belly pan from.

Madjohn.

zunkus
08-04-09, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure what I'm suggesting here MadJohn but can the end can alone be dismembered from the exhaust. There seems to be two parts to it and I'm thinking the underbelly part would be enough to silence the bike to decent decibels. If that's the case a car end crome piece could tidy things up and you're done cheaply.

madjohn
08-04-09, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure what I'm suggesting here MadJohn but can the end can alone be dismembered from the exhaust. There seems to be two parts to it and I'm thinking the underbelly part would be enough to silence the bike to decent decibels. If that's the case a car end crome piece could tidy things up and you're done cheaply.

It is in two bits. I wonder what it would sound like. Not sure what you mean by a car end chrome piece. Is it one of them things which slip on the end of car exhaust pipes.

zunkus
08-04-09, 09:02 PM
Yep, exactly. My friend did just that to his Hornet 900. End result was a great sounding bike, lighter and it cost almost nothing.

dual-power sv
09-04-09, 11:29 AM
I can't really compare it to a pointy but i did
Nice colours on your SV by the way. Where did you get your belly pan from.
Madjohn.

i'll be honest, i brought the bike how it is, i've only changed the mirrors, idicators and levers. so not sure what make the belly pan is. if i find out ill let you knw

madjohn
09-04-09, 07:02 PM
i'll be honest, i brought the bike how it is, i've only changed the mirrors, idicators and levers. so not sure what make the belly pan is. if i find out ill let you knw

Cheers my man:thumbsup:

xXBADGERXx
09-04-09, 07:08 PM
I would like to see a Gladius without the Silver plastic cover over the frame :) what are they hiding under there ?

madjohn
09-04-09, 07:57 PM
I would like to see a Gladius without the Silver plastic cover over the frame :) what are they hiding under there ?

Will these do.

xXBADGERXx
09-04-09, 08:15 PM
Not bad actually , if they painted the squarer section of the frame Black and left the rest Blue that would look quite cool .

madjohn
09-04-09, 08:53 PM
Not bad actually , if they painted the squarer section of the frame Black and left the rest Blue that would look quite cool .

I like it. There's a lot ugly bikes out there than mine. But i am being a little behest, after all she is my bike.:rolleyes:

xXBADGERXx
10-04-09, 10:09 AM
I saw one for the first time in work last week , I wasn`t keen on it but I certainly wouldn`t say it was Ugly . When I saw one in the flesh , as it were , I grew to like it , apart from the Silver plastics and the Exhaust .... but as we know you can remove them :)

madjohn
10-04-09, 11:53 AM
I saw one for the first time in work last week , I wasn`t keen on it but I certainly wouldn`t say it was Ugly . When I saw one in the flesh , as it were , I grew to like it , apart from the Silver plastics and the Exhaust .... but as we know you can remove them :)

I haven't seen any on the road yet. Is any one buying them, Or am i the only mug how has got one.:rolleyes:

xXBADGERXx
10-04-09, 12:08 PM
3 were sold in my local dealer last week , and , apparently , a guy has bought the pink one as well ....... might steer clear of him LOL

thedonal
10-04-09, 01:37 PM
Will these do.

It acually looks quite good without all the plastic (Playmobil, anyone?!).

I like the frame now I can see it.

dizzyblonde
10-04-09, 01:40 PM
I haven't seen any on the road yet. Is any one buying them, Or am i the only mug how has got one.:rolleyes:

yes thats why I asked if you were at Squires.;) Dunno MCNLiams went after he'd finished reviewing it, but I'm sure someones riding it somewhere.

Badger, the pink one isn't actually pink, its a kind of metalic candy red. Would be nice if it was all red.

xXBADGERXx
10-04-09, 03:02 PM
It`s Pink in my mind and Ghey

madjohn
10-04-09, 06:26 PM
yes thats why I asked if you were at Squires.;) Dunno MCNLiams went after he'd finished reviewing it, but I'm sure someones riding it somewhere.

Badger, the pink one isn't actually pink, its a kind of metalic candy red. Would be nice if it was all red.

I would have gone for the pinkey red one if it had been red but i'm with Badger on this one it does look gay.:thumbdown:

northwind
10-04-09, 06:54 PM
It's almost the same colour as Triumph Big Gay Pink, isn't it... The black and green is nice I think.