PDA

View Full Version : Lower pegs, higher seat?

splund
05-04-09, 11:23 AM
Hello,

I have an sv650s and converted it with an ABM yoke and bar conversion kit that makes me sit more upright and am much more comfortable. However, now that my wrists don't ake, the limiting factor for my run time is the pain in my legs. I'm 6'2" with an 34" inseam so i can sit on the bike with both feet comfartably on the ground but getting them on the pegs is a squeeze. So i would like to increase the distance between the seat and the pegs.

Has anyone out there ever fitted a higher seat, or managed to lower their footpegs, I may wish to do both so as not to limit how far i can lean the bike over or end up leaning too far forward again.

I know this seems a lot of effort to make the bike more comfy. The alternative though is to buy a new bike but I like my sv and tinkering is prefferable in these fiscally baron times.

Mr Speirs
05-04-09, 12:09 PM
I believe xXBadgerXx has managed to turn his pegs upside down to give him an extra inch. Maybe he'll be along shortly to explain all.

Dave20046
18-10-09, 04:18 PM
Badge?
I have the same problem (to a lesser extent) worried lowering the pegs will mean they'll be constantly in contact with the tarmac, anyone have any input?

maviczap
18-10-09, 04:31 PM
These'll solve your problem, if you're not too worried about decking the pegs. Ignore that they are for raising the pegs, they can be used to lower the footrest bracket as well.

The other option is to fit Buell footrests, there's a thread on the Org somewhere. Although these are going to be in short supply with Buell stopping making Buells.

You don't say wherther you have a Pointy or Curvy. These are for Curvy's.

I'll be doing the same as you this winter, and I'll be getting some of these brackets to ease my riding position

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320304536325&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Dave20046
18-10-09, 04:33 PM
what options are there if you do mind decking your pegs? Would rearsets give a touch more leg room?

(mines a pointy, sorry)

maviczap
18-10-09, 04:43 PM
Well these fit both models, so a cheaper option than buying rearsets. You can raise them to stop you decking the pegs & move them around a bit as there's several combinations available with these brackets

I don't know if rearsets will help or not. Some are more adjustable than others. But you're talikng a lot more money for rearsets

-Ralph-
18-10-09, 05:38 PM
Hello,

I have an sv650s and converted it with an ABM yoke and bar conversion kit that makes me sit more upright and am much more comfortable. However, now that my wrists don't ake, the limiting factor for my run time is the pain in my legs. I'm 6'2" with an 34" inseam so i can sit on the bike with both feet comfartably on the ground but getting them on the pegs is a squeeze. So i would like to increase the distance between the seat and the pegs.

Has anyone out there ever fitted a higher seat, or managed to lower their footpegs, I may wish to do both so as not to limit how far i can lean the bike over or end up leaning too far forward again.

I know this seems a lot of effort to make the bike more comfy. The alternative though is to buy a new bike but I like my sv and tinkering is prefferable in these fiscally baron times.

B****dy Hell! Hello stranger, where have you been? Welcome back.

No idea about your question though, sorry.

Dave20046
18-10-09, 05:43 PM
Sorry to disappoint ralph I revived the thread

Dave20046
18-10-09, 05:52 PM
These'll solve your problem, if you're not too worried about decking the pegs. Ignore that they are for raising the pegs, they can be used to lower the footrest bracket as well.

The other option is to fit Buell footrests, there's a thread on the Org somewhere. Although these are going to be in short supply with Buell stopping making Buells.

I'll be doing the same as you this winter, and I'll be getting some of these brackets to ease my riding position

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320304536325&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Cheers Maviczap, they look a good part worth thinking about although I reckon I could get some second hand rearsets for just a bit more not too bothered about price I just wanna be able to ride my bike without being in pain!
Does anyone know if these would push the pegs back as much as rear sets? Or any lanky riders have and experience with one or the other?

Spikenipple
18-10-09, 06:28 PM
The naked pointy's footpegs are lower than the S version, you could always fit a set of them.

TazDaz
18-10-09, 06:38 PM
If you're not already, do some regular stretching exercises. There have been loads of threads on this forum with people saying I'm 6'x" tall and the SV is too small etc etc. Rather than modifying the bike, maybe try modifying the flexibility/movement of your legs...it's cheaper.

xXBADGERXx
18-10-09, 07:10 PM
When you are as tall as we are there is no such thing as being able to physically stop the back of your thighs hitting your calves when sat on a bike . I was in immense pain in my knee joints with the standard pegs . I have the plates that Maviczap has shown you . I ordered them from SV-Racing parts and flipped them upside down . This has allowed me an extra inch or so and had made life much more bearable . I can jump on the bike and do the full tank in Fuel before any pain sets in . Only problem I have had is with my boot decking down a few times but you can tell when this is gonna happen from the lean angle and the occasional peg scrape , not enough to make it a problem though and only when on a mad hoon . I have also fitted the seat from a SV1000 as it is a bit harder , this stops me sinking into the seat and provides a bit more height , plus I have a K3 which has a higher subframe anyway .

TazDaz
18-10-09, 07:20 PM
Well I'm 6'4" at the last check, (still bloody growing!:() which for the original post is taller.

Fair enough you can't stop your calfs/thighs from having contact, but you can probably help where the pressure of being felt through stretching. Top of my calf hits the back of my thigh, was painful on my knee when I started riding untill I read somewhere about stretching. Now I can sit on the bike for 6hrs+ with only 5-10mins petrol stops and I don't have the pain I used to feel.

Dave20046
18-10-09, 07:37 PM
When you are as tall as we are there is no such thing as being able to physically stop the back of your thighs hitting your calves when sat on a bike . I was in immense pain in my knee joints with the standard pegs . I have the plates that Maviczap has shown you . I ordered them from SV-Racing parts and flipped them upside down . This has allowed me an extra inch or so and had made life much more bearable . I can jump on the bike and do the full tank in Fuel before any pain sets in . Only problem I have had is with my boot decking down a few times but you can tell when this is gonna happen from the lean angle and the occasional peg scrape , not enough to make it a problem though and only when on a mad hoon . I have also fitted the seat from a SV1000 as it is a bit harder , this stops me sinking into the seat and provides a bit more height , plus I have a K3 which has a higher subframe anyway .
I get insane pain in my knees at the mo but I also scrape my pegs and toes a bit with standard pegs so I'm worried they might be too low with the plates, reckon it'd be a problem?

Well I'm 6'4" at the last check, (still bloody growing!:() which for the original post is taller.

Fair enough you can't stop your calfs/thighs from having contact, but you can probably help where the pressure of being felt through stretching. Top of my calf hits the back of my thigh, was painful on my knee when I started riding untill I read somewhere about stretching. Now I can sit on the bike for 6hrs+ with only 5-10mins petrol stops and I don't have the pain I used to feel.
What stretches do you do taz?

TazDaz
18-10-09, 07:50 PM
What stretches do you do taz?

It's basically just the leg stretches you would get taught during Saturday morning football practice when a kid. The most effective one I've sort of made up is to lie on your back, put you leg up at 90degrees and try to straighten your leg. For me this stretches both the calf and the hamstring. It's near enough the same result as the stretch where you sit on one leg bent and put the other out straight and get lower and lower untill it hurts.

Doing one legged squats should give a bit more strength to the knee which should ultimately increase mobility of the knee.

I'm not remotely fitness inclined or anything so I don't entirely know what I'm talking about, but basically I used to get a bit of pain in my knees after 20mins of riding, I started stretching every day or so and now I don't get the pain anymore.

xXBADGERXx
18-10-09, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately my knees have been hammered by years of accidents on and off the bike and I have to be very carefull with stretches , the hardware route has been the easiest option for me . Dave , if you are scraping your pegs as it is with normal height then you may have to adopt a different approach .

Taipan
19-10-09, 08:44 AM
You can get actual lower pegs and even peg lowering kits which I think you could fit to a SV? The Buell ones work out cheapest I think? I know they fit them on the SV 1000 (http://www.sv-portal.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6336.html)as well.
http://www.ixxra.com/peglowering.htm
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t18932.html
http://www.indysuperbikes.com/Isb1/lp_superpole_footpegs.html
http://www.sportouring.com/part.php?itemGroup=426&bikeModel=SV%20650%20N%20/%20S%20AV

Dave20046
20-10-09, 09:14 AM

Has anyone any experience with these? Thinking of using them to move the peg backwards a bit like a cheap rearset or possibly lower it slightly. See if that gives me less strain on my legs.

xXBADGERXx
20-10-09, 05:01 PM
Yes for the Millionth time , I am using them .

Dave20046
20-10-09, 05:09 PM
oops I meant to write; would moving the pegs rearward (with these plates) ease the knees?

xXBADGERXx
20-10-09, 05:22 PM
A little yes , made major improvements for me and the knee caps are a lot less sore .