PDA

View Full Version : Knackered Gearbox Bearing?

I'm_a_Newbie
05-04-09, 02:03 PM
Hi.

On a ride a couple of days ago whilst slowing down the bike gave off a noise a bit like a wailing banshee. Since then it has not done it again.

Yesterday I did an oil and filter change, and while on the stand I ran it through all the gears. Going up in speed there are no unusual noises. However in gear 3 to 6 if you pull in the clutch from speed and let the drivetrain slow down you can hear a whining sort of noise. It sounds like it is coming from the front sprocket area, there also seems to be a rattle from the generator area. The whining noise changes in pitch dependent on the gear, so my guess it is from the output side of the gearbox and ties in with where I can hear the noise from.

Is this noise normal and it's just that I have never heard it before or have got a bearing on it's way out?

Thanks
Tim.

rictus01
05-04-09, 02:07 PM
Perhap a sound file would have given a clue (doubtful), but I've given up diagnosing "noises" over the internet.

If you've never noticed it before and are worried about it, strip it all down and check all the shafts and bearings, long job, but the only way to be sure.

Cheers Mark.

I'm_a_Newbie
05-04-09, 04:22 PM
To help avoid a very time consuming and costly strip down and rebuild, is there anybody out there with an SV650 that lives near Waterlooville who would let me listen to their bike up on a stand. At least that way I would know if it is normal or not.

Thanks
Tim.

cammy
05-04-09, 05:54 PM
I had a wheel bearing go on my car it made a wine that came and went so maybe you have a bearing away to hope this helps

stevie16v
05-04-09, 06:23 PM
Is it possibly the clutch release bearing? certainly by the description it sounds like it. Apparently its quite normal and a usual thing on alot of bikes

simesb
05-04-09, 07:17 PM
I had a wheel bearing go on my car it made a wine

A nice Bordeaux or Burgundy?

I'm_a_Newbie
05-04-09, 07:23 PM
Is it possibly the clutch release bearing? certainly by the description it sounds like it. Apparently its quite normal and a usual thing on alot of bikes

You made me think for a moment there that perhaps this is what it is, but then I tought about it. The clutch runs at the same speed as the engine. The engine is idling and this noise changes pitch with rear wheel speed and gear selected, so there is no way it can be the clutch release bearing.

Tim.

yorkie_chris
05-04-09, 07:23 PM
Have you run the chain too tight? Is it audible on the move normally at cruise?

I'm_a_Newbie
05-04-09, 07:39 PM
Have you run the chain too tight? Is it audible on the move normally at cruise?

Usually to loose.