PDA

View Full Version : I have to change exhaust

bris
05-04-09, 06:49 PM
My "not for road use" exhaust has failed its MOT because the examiner said he had no choice but to fail it for that reason. It was all looking so good too then he just happened to notice the stamp on it.
I have the original exhaust so changing over is no problem but will I have to get new gaskets or will I get away with the ones already in it.
Thanks.

husky03
05-04-09, 06:59 PM
get the sand paper and autosol out about an hours work max then it won't say not for blah blah

Gnome
05-04-09, 06:59 PM
Put a bit of tape over it. They're not allowed to touch the tape as far as I'm aware.

Otherwise, polish it out. ;)

Holdup
05-04-09, 10:41 PM
Put a bit of tape over it.

+1 they cant remove the tape

James SV
05-04-09, 10:49 PM
Bit obvious if you go back with a bit of tape over the stamp they pointed out though? unless your going to go to a different MOT station?

bris
05-04-09, 11:55 PM
Bit obvious if you go back with a bit of tape over the stamp they pointed out though? unless your going to go to a different MOT station?
Thats what I was thinkng, and as its a free re-test be best just to swap it over then back again.
I don't want to put it all together only to find it blown because I did'nt use new gaskets but hoping I would get away with it.

vardypeeps
06-04-09, 11:22 AM
There only a few quid anyway so just replace them while you have the exhaust off. Don't replace them again tho if your putting your other pipes straight back on.

timwilky
06-04-09, 11:27 AM
change your tester, mine is **** hot on safety related, and thinks a loud can is an essential safety feature

Mr_Chin
06-04-09, 11:35 AM
What gasket - for the header pipe?

Is it a full system, or just a slip on?

Chin

vardypeeps
06-04-09, 11:40 AM
That's a fair point surely you only need to change your end can that has the stamp on it?
Or as above find a dodgy place where they check to make sure it's road worthy but don't take the wee

Sally
06-04-09, 12:07 PM
My mot tester just said mine wasn't loud enough :)

Stubby here i come ;)

hovis
06-04-09, 12:47 PM
change your tester,
+1

yorkie_chris
06-04-09, 03:06 PM
Yeah find a tester who's a bit more reasonable.

Or alternatively go back there, and when he gives you the cert swap your exhaust back over before leaving the place.

northwind
06-04-09, 07:55 PM
Put a bit of tape over it. They're not allowed to touch the tape as far as I'm aware.

OK, but then they can just fail you for being too loud.

Gnome
06-04-09, 08:06 PM

If they're an anal retentative, yes... :D

Jamiebridges123
06-04-09, 08:10 PM
get the sand paper and autosol out about an hours work max then it won't say not for blah blah

Seconded. Besides it'll give your can a lovely shine!

Use common sense as to whether it's too loud, and work accordingly... Most MOT people are nice as they're bikers themselves. If they fail you, take it somewhere else.

timwilky
06-04-09, 08:11 PM

Define too loud, the VOSA MOT regulations do not require a noise level reading to be taken. There is a subjective test, no louder than a comparable motorcycle.

so put two bikes with straight through exhausts side by side and they should both pass

Nobbylad
07-04-09, 08:28 AM
change your tester, mine is **** hot on safety related, and thinks a loud can is an essential safety feature

....which is exactly what I'll say if I ever get pulled without my baffle in. I was knocked off the bike when somebody didn't see me, at least I've got a fighting chance if they can hear me!

northwind
07-04-09, 06:30 PM
Define too loud, the VOSA MOT regulations do not require a noise level reading to be taken. There is a subjective test, no louder than a comparable motorcycle.

Nuts I know. But my point was that just taking the "not for road use" off it doesn't mean he has to pass it, people were saying "They can't remove the tape if you tape it over" as if it made any difference, if he decides he wants to fail it, he can.

bris
08-04-09, 08:12 PM
That's a fair point surely you only need to change your end can that has the stamp on it?

I have decided to do just that so a little more advice is needed. I want a road legal akra can so I don't need to worry about void insurance ets so as per the photo
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/br1sha/can030.jpg
can I just seperate at the join and put anothert can in like for like or does it have to be for a SV650 or does any other fit, what size etc.
Also to rejoin does it require a gasket or sealing compoud etc.
And finaly does my can just pull off after unhooking the springs.
thanks in advance for the help.