PDA

View Full Version : Fuel light reserve?

kurtis.randle
05-04-09, 08:00 PM
Hi everyone ,just a quicky (year y 2000 and sv650 s)

on the reserve i have worked out its about 18-20 miles when flashing and 5 miles when it stays on around town 30mph ish mark. am i correct your views please.

BOUNUS QEASTION INCLUDING THE RESERVE WHATS THE MAX MILAGE FOR THIS YEAR AND MODLE SV.

YEAR 2000 ONLY

Respray SV
05-04-09, 08:28 PM
I reckon they'll all be slightly different, my 2000 k1 used to start flashing about 46 miles before the light went solid, after that I'd fill up asap, but am certain I've done more than 10 miles on the solid lamp.

My K8 does about 165 to the tank full (heavy traffic) - I tend to work on the milage and ignore the flashing light, which gives me about 34 miles, waiting untill it goes solid then fill up immediately.

davepreston
05-04-09, 08:30 PM
ive had 17 on solid and 55 from flashing meself

kurtis.randle
05-04-09, 08:33 PM
ive had 17 on solid and 55 from flashing meself

why would it be different on each bike surely they make the system the same for each bike and the light would come on at the same times ? Surely ???

Interceptor
05-04-09, 08:57 PM
The light comes on with the same quantity of fuel remaining, in all our tanks, (roughly) however the more enthusiastic riders amongst us, and also the boy's who have to face the daily rush hour commute each day through gridlocked city streets without ever seeing top gear, won't get the same MPG, out of their "quantity of fuel remaining" as the geriatric SV riding Vicar touring the Yorkshire Dales......if you see what I mean, so the distance per "flashing" and "solid" fuel lights will vary significantly......;)

kurtis.randle
05-04-09, 09:00 PM
the light comes on with the same quantity of fuel remaining, in all our tanks, (roughly) however the more enthusiastic riders amongst us, and also the boy's who have to face the daily rush hour commute each day through gridlocked city streets without ever seeing top gear, won't get the same mpg, out of their "quantity of fuel remaining" as the geriatric sv riding vicar touring the yorkshire dales......if you see what i mean, so the distance per "flashing" and "solid" fuel lights will vary significantly......;)

yea i get you but thats why i put doing roughtly 30mph ish around town thats what i get ?

appollo1
06-04-09, 09:03 AM
I have a 2000 on a W reg and at the weekend I got to 157 miles when the fuel light started flashing. I rode about another 20 miles and the light was still flashing.

When i filled the bike I only managed to get just over 13 litres in.

Can't remember the official fuel tank size but I know that when the light is on permanently I can still get to my nearest garage to fill up and that's 6 miles away.

Personally i look at the distance travelled and the area I am in to see when i fill up rather than risk the light coming on and there not being a petrol station around.

kurtis.randle
06-04-09, 04:17 PM
I have a 2000 on a W reg and at the weekend I got to 157 miles when the fuel light started flashing. I rode about another 20 miles and the light was still flashing.

When i filled the bike I only managed to get just over 13 litres in.

Can't remember the official fuel tank size but I know that when the light is on permanently I can still get to my nearest garage to fill up and that's 6 miles away.

Personally i look at the distance travelled and the area I am in to see when i fill up rather than risk the light coming on and there not being a petrol station around.

correct me iff im wrong or right anyone but a 2000 sv650 has a 15 litre tank yes?

AndyBrad
06-04-09, 04:49 PM
i normally get about 100 miles to a tank. howeevr im currently on 135 at the mo and still no light so im getting worried. should i fill or push my luck :)

kurtis.randle
06-04-09, 06:14 PM
i normally get about 100 miles to a tank. howeevr im currently on 135 at the mo and still no light so im getting worried. should i fill or push my luck :)

wow r u leaking fuel

AndyBrad
06-04-09, 09:07 PM
wow r u leaking fuel

every single person i speak to says that. i guess i should find out

kurtis.randle
06-04-09, 09:10 PM

haha surely everyone should get simular fuel mileage withing 30-80mph surely everyone should get simular mileage or within 10 miles difference , unless they do such a dodgey job that all the tanks where differant sizes lol.

Interceptor
07-04-09, 02:04 PM

If we manage to get off Good Friday Andy, weather & storms notwithstanding, we can fill both our tanks as we set off, and as we'll be riding the same bikes at the same pace, going the same distance, on the same roads, we may be able to form some conclusions........;)

Alpinestarhero
07-04-09, 02:22 PM
This is what I observe:

town riding - 120-125 miles before the reserve light comes on (thats 13 litres)

Non-town/city riding (long distances on A roads, motorways etc); upwards of 135, as high as 150 miles before the light comes on (again, 13 litres...)

On this basis, i calculate I have a minimum of 30 miles before my bike splutters to a halt, based on the town riding figures.

Fuel economy is affected by; how wide your throttle openings are, how high you like to rev, how heavy and frequently you like to bark your engine to get people to reaslie you are there and to kindly move.

All curvys have, according to my knowledge, a 17 litre tank

Viney
07-04-09, 02:50 PM
Kurtis. So far most of the questions you have asked since being on this forum have been asked like forever, before ;) Please do a search ;)

For the record, on my curvey, i managed to get 45 miles between flashing and solid red light (186miles overall) on avergae i get 110-120 miles around town to flashing, and if mixed riding then i can get around 150ish to a tank. The elwast i got was 89 miles (Running larger jets and incorrect needle settings and a 14t front sprocket)!

kurtis.randle
07-04-09, 02:58 PM
Kurtis. So far most of the questions you have asked since being on this forum have been asked like forever, before ;) Please do a search ;)

For the record, on my curvey, i managed to get 45 miles between flashing and solid red light (186miles overall) on avergae i get 110-120 miles around town to flashing, and if mixed riding then i can get around 150ish to a tank. The elwast i got was 89 miles (Running larger jets and incorrect needle settings and a 14t front sprocket)!

yes but you come up with a million different threads witch most have nothing to do with it .ect ect

vardypeeps
07-04-09, 03:06 PM
I'v managed 175miles before having to fill up but normally 160miles with on/off fast riding.

stevie16v
10-04-09, 11:09 AM
my sk2 light starts flashing about 120-140 depending on riding type, ive then done another 30 before filling up and its still on flashing mode

Thingus
10-04-09, 01:14 PM
Well i've had the light come on last week at 162 miles now and i filled up at 180 with no solid light, i'm 14 stone. I usually only get 13 litres into the tank but it's on it's sidestand so it won't fill to the brim which doesn't bother me, i guess i could get 200 out of it, haha. That's riding around town, i open it up a bit eratically on dual carriageways but not often.

cuffy
10-04-09, 02:51 PM
yes but you come up with a million different threads witch most have nothing to do with it .ect ect
Try searching using the correct spelling, you never know, you might actually hit the jackpot! :rolleyes: