PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean up brake pistons?

curium
05-04-09, 09:15 PM
The brake pad pins on my Suzuki SV650SK6 were seized in so I was unable to replace the pads. I've ended up taken the callipers off and this has enabled me to get the pins free. While they're off I've decided to replace the seals and give the pistons a clean up.

Two things, anyone know where you can buy red rubber grease in London to coat the pistons and slider pins. Secondly, the Haynes reckons that the pistons must be replaced if any surface defects are present but the pistons were not leaking so I want advice on how best to clean them up.

Here is a photo

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3659/3415939566_03b548fa53_o.jpg

So far I've been using a non-scratch nylon scour pad but this is the best I've gotten. I think it is unrealistic for the pistons to be totally free of surface defects so I'm not keen on replacing them.

arcdef
05-04-09, 09:19 PM
i was told to use metal polish on mine.

Stu
05-04-09, 09:23 PM
I was told (by S..S....) to use the cheapest supermarket own brand cream cleaner.

I was also told by someone else that you don't put any RRG on the pistons, only the seals. You must not get any RRG inside the hydraulic brake system i.e. inside the calipers. You should lube the pistons with brake fluid before inserting

Where are your other 8 pistons? ;)

Miles
05-04-09, 09:23 PM
Something like brake cleaner / parafin to clean the bulk of it off then autosol would work a treat at getting them spotless.

curium
05-04-09, 09:44 PM
cheers fellas!

zadar
05-04-09, 11:09 PM
You should lube the pistons with brake fluid before inserting

yep, best way.

breakz187
06-04-09, 10:37 AM
I used a bit of steel wool yesterday on my fronts.

I tried brake cleaner and tissue, but it didnt shift the dirty/rust type corrosion.

I was worried about using steel wool but it didnt damage the surface and was smooth as when i used my lip to test :)

skyline
06-04-09, 01:06 PM
I'd heard it was a bad idea to lube the pistons with brake fluid as it crystallises and then ruins the seals?

I've probably got this wrong tho...:confused:

yorkie_chris
06-04-09, 02:08 PM
I was told (by S..S....) to use the cheapest supermarket own brand cream cleaner.

I was also told by someone else that you don't put any RRG on the pistons, only the seals. You must not get any RRG inside the hydraulic brake system i.e. inside the calipers. You should lube the pistons with brake fluid before inserting

Where are your other 8 pistons? ;)

Some RRG is gonna end up inside the hydraulics whatever you do. All I do is push the seals down into their grooves to remove excess grease so there isn't much of it in there.

I do not use brake fluid on the pistons. I wipe a small amount of RRG around the walls. The seals will collect nearly all of this.

I do not think it is a good idea to put brake fluid anywhere except into the reservoir, when exposed to air and water it turns into a wierd crystalline solid, this will cause dust seals to stick to pistons quickly in use, especially in winter.
Might be OK to use when the seals have been RRG'd, but I don't see it doing any good either. And I don't like getting brake fluid on my fingers, so I don't bother.

yorkie_chris
06-04-09, 02:09 PM

Yes and a scotchbrite pad

northwind
06-04-09, 06:20 PM
Those ones look pretty grim... Is the second from left flaking, or is it just the photo?

monkey
06-04-09, 09:41 PM
Yes and a scotchbrite pad

Can they be overdone with cheap Cif, a scotchbrite pad and elbowgrease or will it never scratch the surface? (Are scotchbrite pan scouring pads?)

I'm_a_Newbie
06-04-09, 09:42 PM
I have 4 new pistons I can sell if somone is interested. I paid £76 only a few weeks ago and never used them, mine cleaned up OK with some wire wool.

As a time served qualified mechanic I can assure you that using red rubber grease on the pistons is fine. It is basically vegetable oil that contains a thickener. Within a few days any excess that gets behind the seals is disolved into the brake fluid. If you are worried about it a bleed after a few days will get rid of it, you will notice the fluid is slightly red in colour.

A further bleed after a few days is a good idea anyway after a strip. I manegd to get more air bubbles out of mine.

Tim