PDA

View Full Version : Mixed tyres - what would you do?

James SV
05-04-09, 09:27 PM
In need of a bit of advice here.

I bought my k4 SV650s with 2 different tyres, both pretty much new. The rear is a dunlop d208 sportmax, and front is a bridgestone bt014.

Ive been told its not a good idea to have 2 diffeerent tyres, which i agree with. Although so far it seems to behave ok (only done 150 miles with them so far). So, what would you do, fork out on new rear/front tyre to match, or keep with the non matching pair? If you would buy one to match, which tyre would be most reccomended, the dunlops or the bridgestone bt014 ?

Cheers,

James

Jamiebridges123
05-04-09, 09:37 PM
Well if you're just doing normal road riding then you should be ok. Obviously it may be a bit scary in the wet or if you were doing trackdays....

Yes it would be ideal to change for a matching set. However it's not necessary. I'd personally go for a BT014, although that's like choosing being stabbed over being shot. :D

James SV
05-04-09, 09:46 PM
Hmm. theres a part worn Rear BT014 for sale with 3.64mm tread i found for 30 quid. Maybe a good option to go for as both my tyres have good tread i dont want to spend too much if its not particularly nessesary.

James

Stu
05-04-09, 09:58 PM
I would ride it til the rear was dead. Put what I wanted on te rear & wait til the front was dead & replace that likewise. I just don't get the matched tyres business :smt102. The only exception being I wouldn't want a sticky sports tyre on the rear with a less sticky touring tyre on the front. I would prefer the rear to lose traction rather than the front. But so long as your not using information on how one tyre is gripping to rely on how much grip you have at the other tyre I don't understand what the problem is.

flymo
06-04-09, 07:51 AM
As Stu says, get out and ride 'em. They'll be fine. 99% of this is psychological. Match a pair next time you replace one/both of them.

thefallenangel
06-04-09, 11:04 AM
I've been riding around with mixed tyres and it don't bother me. Scrubs off ebay are a lot cheaper than new. Just go out and ride IMO.

Ceri JC
06-04-09, 11:26 AM
As Stu says, get out and ride 'em. They'll be fine. 99% of this is psychological. Match a pair next time you replace one/both of them.

+1. I've currently got mismatched tyres on mine. They're fine.

yorkie_chris
06-04-09, 02:02 PM
+1

northwind
06-04-09, 03:40 PM
Can't remember the last time I had matching tyres! Though mine are usually similiar shapes at least, that's the important part.

I've never held with the whole "sticky tyre on the front because if you lose one end, you want to lose the rear" thing either. I don't want to lose EITHER end, and I ride accordingly, having a sticky tyre on the rear doesn't make the front less sticky, it just reduces the chance that you'll lose the rear. But if your riding style is designed around "Ride til you slide then back off" it's only a matter of time til you bin it anyway.

Baph
06-04-09, 03:51 PM
As others have said, just ride it.

northwind
06-04-09, 05:08 PM
But if you die, don't sue us

fizzwheel
06-04-09, 05:15 PM
I'd chuck that 014 away as personally I hate the bl**dy things, the most confidence robbing tyre I have ever ridden on.

But then I like to run a matched pair and I'll never 014's on any bike I own again ever, So I'd fit another dunlop to match the one you have.

Depends on how the bike feels, and how you feel riding it, if you're happy on it then stick with it.

I just wouldnt do it, and I have a totally irrational reason for not wanting to run mis-matched tyres.

Stu
06-04-09, 07:47 PM
Phew! 8-[ thought I might get slated
I've never held with the whole "sticky tyre on the front because if you lose one end, you want to lose the rear" thing either. I don't want to lose EITHER end, and I ride accordingly, having a sticky tyre on the rear doesn't make the front less sticky, it just reduces the chance that you'll lose the rear. But if your riding style is designed around "Ride til you slide then back off" it's only a matter of time til you bin it anyway.

Yeah you're totally right, I just thought I would be taking it too far if I didn't put that in, but tried to back away from it with my last sentence :D

stevebetts
06-04-09, 07:55 PM
In need of a bit of advice here.

I bought my k4 SV650s with 2 different tyres, both pretty much new. The rear is a dunlop d208 sportmax, and front is a bridgestone bt014.

Ive been told its not a good idea to have 2 diffeerent tyres, which i agree with. Although so far it seems to behave ok (only done 150 miles with them so far). So, what would you do, fork out on new rear/front tyre to match, or keep with the non matching pair? If you would buy one to match, which tyre would be most reccomended, the dunlops or the bridgestone bt014 ?

Cheers,

James
there is no problem at all with mixed tyres.
I know racers who use mixed tyres.
as long as they are both good quality it doesnt make any difference.

Dan
07-04-09, 10:00 AM
I'd wear them out, then replace in whatever order they wear out with whatever I can get cheap at the time.

I ran mixed tyres on my ZX7R for about 8,000 miles and it never did me any harm. I even fitted tyres recycled from the local dealer when power rangers upgraded to the latest sticky-goo compound.