PDA

View Full Version : new boots?

AndyBrad
06-04-09, 12:04 PM
OK

Right last week my mate fell off his bike (at 15mph) and had the footpeg go through his draggin jeans and if it wasn’t for his boots it would have knackered his calf. So this had me thinking about my boots. I have a pair of BMW touring type boots. These are like slippers and are very comfy and very waterproof (I filled them with water and not a single seam leaked) unfortunately the angle protection is like a disc over the bone and a small cup at the heal. I would like something that offers a fair bit more protection while still being comfortable and looking good. I have seen the tcx infinity ones that look quite good but are very expensive. Ive also had a look at the sidi vertigo ones but these have plenty of hard bits but nothing to stop your ankle twisting. The alpinestars smx-4’s and finally the puma desmo 800 boots. Also the puma bornville type ones. But I havnt seen either of the puma ones in the flesh.

So what do you think? I know I need to try them on but am just after some opinions. I quite like the style of the pumas but im not spending that much cash if they offer no real support/protection.

Cheers

Andy

rictus01
06-04-09, 12:56 PM
Alpinestar tech 10's, possibly bullet proof to*

*If you shoot yourself in the foot you're an idiot and deserve what you get

Cheers Mark.

alexs
06-04-09, 02:15 PM
I have had SMX-4s for the past year. Very comfy, totally waterproof. Seem to be pretty well made as well as there are no signs of them falling apart soon. They don't have much ankle level armoury stuff but they are pretty stiff in the right places and very thick. I'd expect them to stop a foot peg at that sort of low speed. Although you'd probably get some nasty crushing.

Happy J
19-06-09, 10:22 PM
Hey Bud

Not sure if these are you cup of tea but they are recommended by Ride magazine and seem to be up to the job. Only had them a few days but intiial thoughts are very good. Called TCX Inifinty (GTX) or gortex retial between 170 and 210.
http://www.bikingdirect.com/content/cache/6c97e42dd2d58e0251c5883089fae075.jpg?PHPSESSID=82b e82a33514e63a6fba9bb8ee2fbadb

See what you think?

jason