PDA

View Full Version : reflector and tail tidy

wow
06-04-09, 03:12 PM
A friend is putting a tail tidy on my bike (SV650n) and there seems to be no space left for a reflector. It's a hamicad tail tidy. Just wondering how others have solved this problem. No reflector? Dropped the number plate?

yorkie_chris
06-04-09, 03:15 PM
The easiest way to remain legal is to stick a small reflector to the numberplate.
Alternatively, fabricate a bracket to run in front of the plate and mount the reflector below.

Depends on the specifics of the tail tidy TBH. But, the stick-on reflectors are cheap enough.

Or, just ignore it, my reflector is under an inch or so of crap and I'm not dead yet, so it must be perfectly safe.

wow
06-04-09, 03:19 PM
I suppose it comes down to how illegal it is. I used to ride with a smaller number plate no problem on my previous bike this time I'm not so bothered about the size of the number plate but that was illegal. I think I have a stick on reflector lying about see if I can find it.

I googled (images) tail tidy and sv650 and the hamicad site came up, no reflector there.

fizzwheel
06-04-09, 03:23 PM
the Hamicad on Liz's K5 re-uses the original number plate light and for the MOT we put the full size plate back on and stuck a reflector to that as Yorkie_chris suggests went through the MOT fine and then we just put he 7 x 5 plate back on again when we got it home. I did the same with my GSXR a couple of weeks back.

the_lone_wolf
06-04-09, 03:25 PM
reflective sticker isn't legal come MOT time, needs to be a proper retroreflective plastic job to be 100% up to spec

however, in these modern times of retroreflective numberplates the red reflector is a bit redundant anyway, i wouldn't be losing sleep over it not being there...

wow
06-04-09, 03:25 PM
I might be tempted to get a smaller plate now, as that's what I used to have and I liked it. You're giving me bad ideas and I like it. ;)

Did you stick the reflector at the top of the large plate?

wow
06-04-09, 03:27 PM
reflective sticker isn't legal come MOT time, needs to be a proper retroreflective plastic job to be 100% up to spec

It's not a sticker, you get the proper ones which you stick on (reflective adhesive strip at the back)

the_lone_wolf
06-04-09, 03:28 PM
It's not a sticker, you get the proper ones which you stick on (reflective adhesive strip at the back)
that'll do, although tbh i personally wouldn't bother:cool:

wow
06-04-09, 03:29 PM
I don't need an MOT yet. As long as I don't get a loud can and don't go hooning about I guess they won't stop me for not having a reflector :D

Thanks everyone.

Paul the 6th
06-04-09, 04:19 PM
i had a hamicad on my 650 and it sailed through mot without reflector :) think it must be down to the test centre...

timwilky
06-04-09, 04:33 PM
mate told my tame test, just charge me for a stick on reflector, if you are so worried about it.

Tester was too ashamed to even take one out the pack on the wall or charge him for it. Then again, he did point out that tie wraps were not ideal for securing the end can. Still passed with the bike in the condition it went in.

Mgaffz
06-04-09, 05:18 PM
My R&G tail tidy just had a small piece of reflective tape to stick onto the number plate, have'nt been for an MOT yet so could'nt comment on legality etc

mick

Luckypants
06-04-09, 05:26 PM
My DRZ has a the small round stick on reflector on the number plate, passed MOT no trouble. Claire's SV has a tail-tidy and smaller plate, passed MOT with similar small round reflector stuck on the number plate.

mattSV
06-04-09, 06:10 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_21eccP-FJ2o/SdpEzlcYOrI/AAAAAAAACc8/tUFm5S4ggDQ/s512/IMG_0733.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_21eccP-FJ2o/SdpE0oM_MGI/AAAAAAAACdE/PMX0jOc1DjI/s512/IMG_0735.JPG

I used the original reflector, made up a bracket and fixed it to the bottom of the plate using a number plate bolt - worked a treat :cool:

2hys
06-04-09, 06:16 PM
ive got a tailtidy with no plate light or reflector and it passed its mot on saturday just gone!!

wow
06-04-09, 08:34 PM
Thanks for that.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_21eccP-FJ2o/SdpEzlcYOrI/AAAAAAAACc8/tUFm5S4ggDQ/s512/IMG_0733.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_21eccP-FJ2o/SdpE0oM_MGI/AAAAAAAACdE/PMX0jOc1DjI/s512/IMG_0735.JPG

I used the original reflector, made up a bracket and fixed it to the bottom of the plate using a number plate bolt - worked a treat :cool: