PDA

View Full Version : mineral or semi semthetic oil ?

kurtis.randle
06-04-09, 09:46 PM
has anyone bought oil from wilkos 5litres for £9 surely thats not bad + means cheap enough to change very ragular nice clean fresh oil is allways a bounus ???

timwilky
06-04-09, 09:59 PM
pay a couple of quid more and get HG's rebadge Motil semi.

kurtis.randle
06-04-09, 10:01 PM

worth itor is it just the name ur paying for

timwilky
06-04-09, 10:06 PM
firstly your bike requires an oil that meets certain standards

For an SV SAE 10W40 API SF etc.

the cheap HG oil (about £13 for 4 litre) is tried and tested. I would never use an unknown oil especially a car oil. it is a false economy compare against the cost of a replacement engine for the sake of a couple of quid

Jamiebridges123
06-04-09, 10:08 PM
Oil's the only thing that can actually help prevent engine wear. Spend the money and get the expensive stuff designed for bikes. I'd recommend Castrol Power 1 or whatever it's called..

kurtis.randle
06-04-09, 10:11 PM
oil's the only thing that can actually help prevent engine wear. Spend the money and get the expensive stuff designed for bikes. I'd recommend castrol power 1 or whatever it's called..

true what kinda oil and price can you get from halfords for motorcyles and are they all semi semthetic? Thanks for the help guys

kurtis.randle
06-04-09, 10:24 PM
true what kinda oil and price can you get from halfords for motorcyles and are they all semi semthetic? Thanks for the help guys

+ what the differance between semi and fully synthetic isnt fully synthetic better ??

Jamiebridges123
06-04-09, 10:27 PM

You can get the Castrol stuff from Halfords. For the normal car Castrol stuff it's about £28 and the GPS Power 1 stuff for bikes specifically is about £33. I did an oil change with the £28 stuff as I was on a "budget"... :P

I wouldn't touch the Halfords own brand stuff. Ok maybe if you have a crappy old car but your bike revs to 9k plus, I don't think so.

Most oils are semi synthetic because engines work on the semi stuff. I've heard using fully can screw up the fibre plates in wet clutches and cause slipping etc, although I haven't read into it properly. All dealers use semi and I believe all major manufacturers of 4 stroke engines user semi.

If you have a 2 stroke then use fully synthetic.

timwilky
06-04-09, 10:37 PM
There are a number of threads about oil on this forum. Most people have not got a clue about the different characteristics of mineral vs semi, vs full synthetics.

At the end of the day it comes down to how hard you work the oils, how they function to lubricate / cool engine components when under performance stress etc.

How they react to the shear forces required to do their job, how they perform across temp ranges, what friction modifiers are added, anti foaming etc.

Your average road bike is a mid performance engine, bike gear boxes torture the oil. However, a semi synth oil is good enough. Track and super sport bikes with highly stressed engines should get the added functionality of a full synth and pay the price. whoever says full synth will cause friction plates to fail is talking bollox.

synthetic oils follow development from ww2 when traditional mineral oils were not available and have allowed modern lubricants to be engineered to provide properties not available from traditional mineral oils

the_lone_wolf
06-04-09, 10:54 PM
For the normal car Castrol stuff it's about £28 and the GPS Power 1 stuff for bikes specifically is about £33. I did an oil change with the £28 stuff as I was on a "budget"... :P
Might want to start "budgeting" for a new clutch then...:rolleyes:

Car oils often contain additional friction reducers which are great in a car engine but bugger up a bike clutch

Suzuki recommend a certain brand, it might cost you a few quid extra every year or 4000m, is that such a hardship that you're willing to buy the wrong stuff to save a fiver????:confused::confused::confused:

xXBADGERXx
06-04-09, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't touch the Halfords own brand stuff. Ok maybe if you have a crappy old car but your bike revs to 9k plus, I don't think so.

I use the Halfords own Brand Semi-Synthetic bike oil in my bike . It was recommended to me by a mate that has run a TL1000 on it and an SV1000 for ages . I have been using that oil with no problems for 16,000 miles in the last year . Baph uses it as well and another mate runs a GSX1400 on it with no detrimental effects and a few people on here have seen the way he rides , he doesn`t hang around .

Baph
07-04-09, 12:11 AM
http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=125457

yorkie_chris
07-04-09, 08:41 AM
Here we go again.

Kurtis randle. Use the wilkos chip fat if you want, but I wouldn't be trusting it to provide protection for more than a minute. At tickover.

Car oil. Probably fine. MIGHT make your clutch slip. I've used it, didn't have a problem, it's usually the 5w30s and other light grades like that which have the anti friction additives in it that aren't wet clutch friendly. 10w40 seems to be OK. Usually...

Halfrauds bike oil seems to be good stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if it were rebadged castrol or some other brand...

The hein gericke stuff seems like the best value going at the minute.

Alpinestarhero
07-04-09, 01:51 PM
+1 for the halfords stuff, I've used it and it was fine (i suppose, i didnt actualy set about measuring engine wear But the bike didnt seize.)

Castrol stuff is good, but that HG stuff seems like the deal of the century! Buy twice as much as you could if you were buying castrol and change the oil a bit more regularly. Why the hell not :D

rowdy
07-04-09, 02:54 PM
Got a litre of this for just over 3 quid the other day as my bike has been dripping from the oil cooler feed pipe (again).
However, you confuse me, is this a Mobil/Motul mixture:confused:;).

timwilky
07-04-09, 03:05 PM
Sorry my bad spelling it is rumoured to be Motul 5100 rebadged

Jamiebridges123
07-04-09, 05:07 PM
I remember reading the thing about causing the clutch plates to become contaminated was in RiDE or something. XD

Perhaps my judgement is quite "snobby", but I'd rather pay double the price for a well known brand. It's kind of like taking a date home to cook her a dinner, and then buying one of those Tesco value microwaveable roast dinners. :D

I had no clutch slip issues on when I filled up with the Castrol 10w40 stuff. Maybe it's just me, though. :D

yorkie_chris
07-04-09, 05:11 PM
If you want to pay and get the best then go for the motul 5100, or another full synth bike oil.

Like I say, it's mostly the thinner oils with the friction reducers. Castrol bike oil is fine to use anyway.

Gnome
07-04-09, 07:51 PM
Believe Castrol GPS is currently £28 from Halfrauds.

Otherwise, check out www.opieoils.co.uk

Put in "easteregg" at the checkout and get 15% off too at present.

punyXpress
07-04-09, 08:10 PM
Sorry my bad spelling it is rumoured to be Motul 5100 rebadged
York HG says it's Motul, but I doubt it's the full 5100
5100 declares API/Sl/SS/SH/SG where HG's own is only API/SG ( and less than half the price ! )
YC will know.

kurtis.randle
07-04-09, 08:29 PM
Believe Castrol GPS is currently £28 from Halfrauds.

Otherwise, check out www.opieoils.co.uk (http://www.opieoils.co.uk)

Put in "easteregg" at the checkout and get 15% off too at present.

this oil is £16.99 in wilkos

chompy
08-04-09, 12:41 AM
i was told by suzuki when buying oil for my bike that suzuki recomend semi synthetic 10w-40 as fully synthetic can cause clutch slip (just what i ahve been told by suzuki), i bought 4L of oil and a new filter from suzuki for £34 not bad i dont think for another 4000 miles

Sid Squid
08-04-09, 07:11 AM
York HG says it's Motul, but I doubt it's the full 5100
5100 declares API/Sl/SS/SH/SG where HG's own is only API/SG ( and less than half the price ! )

Agreed, I very much doubt it's full house synthetic at that price.

Mineral/semi/fully synthetic: I'd buy semi synth, it's not expensive like fully synth, and if you buy wisely it's barely dearer than mineral but a far better performer.

On that subject fully synth is not what I would choose, more money, and your bike will be in a breakers yard many years before the possible benefits are realised. Think about this for a moment - how many miles will you do on your bike? Nowadays the average bike ends up in the breakers yard with a surprisingly small mileage on it, it's just worthless long before it's worn out, so as just about every middleweight bike will put 100,000 miles up as long as it's been serviced anything like the maker stated, the possible benefits of expensive synthetic oil won't make any difference to you or probably the next three owners either.

dizzyblonde
08-04-09, 08:46 AM
i was told by suzuki when buying oil for my bike that suzuki recomend semi synthetic 10w-40 as fully synthetic can cause clutch slip (just what i ahve been told by suzuki), i bought 4L of oil and a new filter from suzuki for £34 not bad i dont think for another 4000 miles

I am currently in the thinking that this is contrubuting to a clutch issue on the milemuncher. It needs an oil change before I head off on a trip at the weekend. Currently it has the Motul YC has recommended in there, but I don't think it likes it. It has always has semi synth in before.

So for purposes of this exercise, I'm buzzing off to find some slightly cheaper but just as good this aft(and no I won't even think about 'wilko' thats a very silly idea! )

timwilky
08-04-09, 08:51 AM
My understanding is Motul 5100 is a semi synth, 7100 is full synth

Comments generally are that HG Semi is made in the same factory as Motul. That is why I though it would be akin to the 5100 stuff

yorkie_chris
08-04-09, 08:53 AM
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/4stroke/4stroke18.html

Yup

kurtis.randle
08-04-09, 09:43 AM
I am currently in the thinking that this is contrubuting to a clutch issue on the milemuncher. It needs an oil change before I head off on a trip at the weekend. Currently it has the Motul YC has recommended in there, but I don't think it likes it. It has always has semi synth in before.

So for purposes of this exercise, I'm buzzing off to find some slightly cheaper but just as good this aft(and no I won't even think about 'wilko' thats a very silly idea! )

yes wilkos still have cheap oil but they allso have named brands at great prices?? like less than %30 cheaper than elsewhere .

kurtis.randle
08-04-09, 09:44 AM
yes wilkos still have cheap oil but they allso have named brands at great prices?? like less than %30 cheaper than elsewhere .

mainly cuz motorbike dealers RIP you off.

rictus01
08-04-09, 10:37 AM
so not this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesame_oil) then :smt102

;)

rictus01
08-04-09, 10:40 AM
that reminds me, the smell of Castrol R.................................................

Sid Squid
08-04-09, 01:12 PM
mainly cuz motorbike dealers RIP you off.
Yeah, that's right.

Come the revolution everything you need for your bike will be made completely free and the dealers will hang from the lamp-posts.

Alpinestarhero
08-04-09, 01:23 PM
Kurtis; some good advice. Use some decent oil, and use the correct oil for your motorcycle.

Yea, its expensive...but then I can sure as hell put alot of money on a worn engine being much omre expensive (and more time consuming!) to fix. If you use your bike often, then spending a bit more on oil that is 1) the correct type of oil and 2) a known and/or respected brand of oil (this goes for the HG and halfords stuff aswell as the castrol etc stuff) is a good idea.

:)

sinbad
08-04-09, 01:24 PM
Yeah, that's right.

Come the revolution everything you need for your bike will be made completely free and the dealers will hang from the lamp-posts.

Viva La Revolution!

I've bought some HG stuff to try next. Oil and filter for about £20's not bad. I've used a few varieties with the SV but never HG's "own". I've found there's virtually no difference between the ones I've used before beyond colour, so as long as it's actually 10w40 motorcycle oil I'm happy to use anything now, at least once.

yorkie_chris
08-04-09, 01:26 PM
Yeah, that's right.

Lol!

As I've said before, I don't buy from my local dealers, I refuse to pay a premium to subsidise their flashy showroom with 20kW of halogen spotlights pointed at the all new 2009 GSYZFRR1000RmentalistRR. So, I buy from the local 1 man band type garage who's got fair prices and is prepared to give useful advice in exchange for my custom.

dizzyblonde
08-04-09, 02:38 PM
You know ther is a thread thats a sticky that our very own Sid has prepared at the top of the tweaking page. He does give good advice!!

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=125457

old sparks
08-04-09, 04:04 PM
I'm running Duron XL in my SV. It's a semi-synthetic HDEO but it's JASO-MA compliant for wet clutches. HT/HS of 4.4 so hopefully it doesn't shear down too quickly in the gearbox...

http://www.msnauto.ro/prod/petrocanada/uleiuri%20semisintetice/Duron%20E%2015W-40_EN.pdf

sinbad
11-05-09, 06:59 PM
Viva La Revolution!

I've bought some HG stuff to try next. Oil and filter for about £20's not bad. I've used a few varieties with the SV but never HG's "own". I've found there's virtually no difference between the ones I've used before beyond colour, so as long as it's actually 10w40 motorcycle oil I'm happy to use anything now, at least once.

Thought I'd post here to give this stuff the thumbs up. Cheap, it works, it doesn't make the engine explode (which is nice), and it may be a result of a couple of other things - I'm not sure though, my chain is always well tensioned and alligned - but it occurred to me today that I've never missed a gear-shift since putting this stuff in......with the Castrol I was using before it was an occasional annoyance.

Good stuff imo.