PDA

View Full Version : What causes broken clutch plates?

nicky-jano
07-04-09, 01:56 PM
A while back I had to replace a clutch friction plate (just the one), which solved the creeping problem I had with the bike. Its just started creeping again, which I assume is another broken plate.

vardypeeps
07-04-09, 03:10 PM
If you search for one of my posts which has piccys in you might find whats casing the problem.
When you take the cover off, the basket that the plates sit in has arms all the way around and your plates fit in those arms. If you look at them closely like in my pictures you will see that they have notches in them from where they knock when the clutch is used.

I found the picture that I took.
The darker marks on the clutch housing are little dents that have been made by the plates over time. These can be sanded/filed on the edges so that they become smoother and the plates do not get stuck on them when the clutch is used.
I do think it's advised to get a new housing but that is pricy so sanding/filing is the other option till it starts doing it again.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/vardypeeps/100_0798.jpg

nicky-jano
07-04-09, 06:16 PM
Just took the clutch apart and it is not a broken plate.
The plates are all fine but they were all stuck together and there were patches on the plates where it was dry as if no oil had gone on them and they are not being lubed completely.
What could the reason for this be?
I have the correct amount of oil, engine has not been making any odd noises and there has been no change of power etc.

TSM
07-04-09, 08:15 PM
Just took the clutch apart and it is not a broken plate.
The plates are all fine but they were all stuck together and there were patches on the plates where it was dry as if no oil had gone on them and they are not being lubed completely.
What could the reason for this be?
I have the correct amount of oil, engine has not been making any odd noises and there has been no change of power etc.

they are "friction" plates, as they were clamped together then where they contact will be free of oil

1) check clutch adjustment at both ends, reset as per haynes manual

2) if you have a notched clutch basket then you can get a 2nd hand one from a K3+ bike (have to get basket,pressure plate, frictions, steals), problem is it wont fit though the side opening, you have to take the whole right side off.

Do 1 first before going any further

zadar
07-04-09, 09:41 PM
those notches are not reason for broken plates. it is actually outer basket that causes it. as TSM said you can use 2nd gen outer but that is not cheap, it will fix broken plates.

TSM
07-04-09, 11:08 PM
those notches are not reason for broken plates. it is actually outer basket that causes it. as TSM said you can use 2nd gen outer but that is not cheap, it will fix broken plates.

Just for note i got a whole clutch pack for £50, not bad me thinks, not road ridden on it yet but first signs show its smoother to control the clutch loading.

I had broken plates on my bike when it was at about 15k (now 32k), back then the basket was not worn out, i put it down to the holiday i had in summer where i put 1500miles on the bike in about 30h, about 1000miles in i noticed that the bike was soo low on oil (had to tip bike right side to get a level). Anyhows the bike survived after a top up, but within a week of me getting back a couple of the plates had shattered in several peices. Coincidence, possably, way i used to drop the clutch on full power, more probably.