PDA

View Full Version : Quick Curvy 99 Suspension Question.

vardypeeps
09-04-09, 01:04 PM
I'v had a look on old posts but couldn't find anything on this.

I need to put new fluid seals in my forks and can go by the Haynes to sort all that but I'm stuck on replacing my fork oil.

I'm taking the old stuff out and replacing with some 15w but how do I do it? What do I measure so I know I have the right amount?

Never done forks before so I will be scratching my head whilst taking them in bits.

plowsie
09-04-09, 01:20 PM
As with me, the recomended is like 10ml off the contents of the container, I guess 10ml will affect the seals if overfilled? So I'm guessing you just measure 10 ml out with some sort of measuring device, but, as your pouring out, i would assume there is some excess left in the container though? I have containers of 0.5l of it.

One of my seals has started to weep so think I'll be sorting them this weekend.

Luckypants
09-04-09, 01:28 PM
If you are buying a Haynes manual, that will explain replacing fork oil.

Basically, remove forks, take top off, tip oil out (springs / spacers will also fall out), disassemble to replace fork seals, rebuild, fill with oil without springs in and fork compressed paying particular attention to setting the air gap correctly. Fit springs, fork tops, refit forks...

That is a short précis of the procedure and will be covered in detail by the Haynes you say you are going to buy.

vardypeeps
09-04-09, 03:18 PM
Great stuff!

Thanks for clearing that up for me people.
I don't have the funds for new springs etc but found my suspension ok in the first place before they started leaking.

Will putting the 15w stiffen them up a little, maybe increase feel?

yorkie_chris
09-04-09, 09:33 PM
Yes it will make them a little harder damped, slower to rebound. Not sure what it will do to the feel

plowsie
09-04-09, 09:35 PM
Yeah so does 10ml overfilling really cause problems? I guess its not in the manual to drip oil on.

yorkie_chris
09-04-09, 09:36 PM
Air gap affects the effective stiffness of the springs, effects the last 20mm or so of travel more than the rest.