PDA

View Full Version : Chain and Sprockets & X-ring vs o-ring?

thor
05-05-09, 03:22 PM
How much and where?

Yes I did a search...

But I also saw something called an x-ring chain. What are they and why are they better than an o-ring chain?

Thanks in advance!

Sid Squid
05-05-09, 03:38 PM
They're both sealed chains, pick the one you like the colour of.

Grade is the important factor not seal shape.

Scoobs
05-05-09, 03:48 PM
Personally if the price is similar, I would go for an X over an O as there are more points of contact on an X, thus in theory, better sealing.

yorkie_chris
05-05-09, 10:16 PM
There may be some minor advantage to X rings if you don't bother yourself to such a menial task as lubing your chain.

Otherwise go for a good quality one. DID, tsubaki. And don't trouble yourself too much with the marketing spiel on the box...

davepreston
05-05-09, 10:27 PM
so why didnt you tell me to get an x ring then yc your slipping my lad

yorkie_chris
05-05-09, 10:29 PM
Because I also told you to stop being a lazy tw4t and lube the chain!

Such things will save you money...

xXBADGERXx
05-05-09, 10:30 PM
Tsubaki X-Ring and JT Carbon Steel Sprockets from B and C Express , comes in at around 105 with postage .... well it did last year when I got mine , done over 9k miles on it and it has been Scottoilered and showing no signs of needing replacing this year

thor
07-05-09, 07:25 PM
So what's the difference between these sets then?

Renthal Sprockets (Hard Ano rear) and Tsubaki X Ring Gold
3140.HA.APX

Renthal Sprockets (Hard Ano rear) and Renthal X Ring Gold
3140.HA.SRS

Renthal Sprockets and Tsubaki X Ring Gold
3140.RE.APX

Steel Sprockets and Tsubaki O Ring
3140.ST.AP

Steel Sprockets and Tsubaki X Ring Gold
3140.ST.APX

Steel Sprockets and Tsubaki Economy O Ring
3140.ST.MG

yorkie_chris
07-05-09, 08:12 PM
Grade is the important factor not seal shape.

So what's the difference between these sets then?

Tsubaki make several grades of 525 chain in o and X ring styles.

Also don't bother with alloy sprockets IMO, they're softer than steel and wear more quickly. Stick to JT steel sprockets.

xXBADGERXx
07-05-09, 09:38 PM
The Hard Anodised ones look quite pimp for a month or Two , then when they wear through the 50 Microns or so of Hard Anodising , they`ll get chewed through quicker than a stick in a Bulldog`s gob .

I have the Tsubaki X ring and JT Carbon Steel sprox and it`s still going strong , I reckon with good care I`ll get around 30k from the chain . Done over 9 on it already and have hardly had to adjust it , there is hardly any pull away from the rear Sprocket , the Sprockets themselves show a tiny bit of wear , no stiff links either . All down to my Scottoiler and the occasional clean down with paraffin to remove the thick winter gunk that built up on it .

ThEGr33k
07-05-09, 09:49 PM
O ring and get a scottoiler. Makes the seals slip better and joints run cooler and with a good amount of lube going through to keep them clean of grit too. Ive noticed since I snapped my last chain (due to scottoiler being placed wrong...) that the new chain is working GREAT! :)

AndyBrad
08-05-09, 06:57 AM
care to say what was up with your scottoiler placement.

just get o that band c place and get yourself a kit with steel sprockets. anything around the 90 quid mark is bound to be decent

ThEGr33k
08-05-09, 12:09 PM
I put it on the front sprocket and I dont think I put it so it was going onto the chain right. It must have been just missing. So was pretty much a "my bad" moment :(

thor
08-05-09, 03:15 PM
I've got a scotoiler, and I got 14k / 5yrs out of the OEM chain, so not too bad.

So

Renthal Sprockets and Tsubaki X Ring Gold
3140.RE.APX

? Seems a reasonable price?

xXBADGERXx
08-05-09, 03:20 PM
Go for the JT Sprockets with that chain , should be about the same price but you will get a longer life out of the Sprockets , the Renthal ones are Hard Anodised Alloy and will wear down once the Anodising has worn through .

Jamiebridges123
08-05-09, 03:28 PM
JT Steel Sprockets and Tsukabi Gold X-Ring chain come to 105 delivered.. get those, they'll last wayy longer

thor
08-05-09, 05:46 PM
Ok, cheers!

thor
08-05-09, 06:11 PM
Jamie, where are you seeing that? B&C express website?

Jamiebridges123
08-05-09, 06:33 PM
Yes mate.

http://www.bandcexpress.co.uk/cgi-bin/bc_cart.pl?add=3140.ST.APX&cat=KITR-0316&cat2=Suzuki

thor
10-05-09, 11:30 PM
*slaps forehead*

Thanks buddy!

Jamiebridges123
10-05-09, 11:36 PM
Np :)

Shell!
25-05-09, 03:31 PM
JT Steel Sprockets and Tsukabi Gold X-Ring chain come to 105 delivered.. get those, they'll last wayy longer

hi-jacking thread!!:rolleyes:

will this fit a 99 naked as the debate has been about the s/faired sv, or does that not matter:confused:

cheers

Shell

Jamiebridges123
25-05-09, 03:42 PM
The unfaired has a different sprocket size, just specify a "non s" one.

jimmy-james
12-06-09, 10:28 AM
I just purchased a DID normal coloured Premium Xring chain and Powerite carbon steel sprockets for 79.95 with free delivery. Whats the deal with you lot finding silly expensive kits which do the same job? I dont get it, you must have money to burn!

ricky
12-06-09, 11:00 AM
I just purchased a DID normal coloured Premium Xring chain and Powerite carbon steel sprockets for 79.95 with free delivery. Whats the deal with you lot finding silly expensive kits which do the same job? I dont get it, you must have money to burn!

was that from a ebay seller :)

xXBADGERXx
12-06-09, 03:07 PM

Note your mileage then come back to us with the final mileage when you change the Sprockets or Chain . We shall see if the extra pennies are worth it or you have managed to find a good bargain versus mileage , will be interesting to see if it was worth it or not .

yorkie_chris
12-06-09, 03:09 PM
DID premium... what grade?

rowdy
12-06-09, 03:10 PM
You were had, got mine for 69.99:D.

ricky, they are on ebay (D & K motorcycles) but they are mail order too.
Have heard a few people slate them but I'm happy, although don't know how long the sprockets are likely to last.

rowdy
12-06-09, 03:14 PM
What number refers to the grade?

My chain is DID 525VX-108ZB, does the 525 refer to the grade?
Please excuse my ignorance.

yorkie_chris
12-06-09, 03:25 PM
525 is pitch, 108 is number of links. VX is the grade.

I think that is lower than recommended but I'm not at all sure. I'm not familiar with DID marking as I use tsubaki stuff.

jimmy-james
12-06-09, 03:29 PM
was that from a ebay seller :)

Yes but i purchased it over the phone to them, they were in Scotland somewhere.

Note your mileage then come back to us with the final mileage when you change the Sprockets or Chain . We shall see if the extra pennies are worth it or you have managed to find a good bargain versus mileage , will be interesting to see if it was worth it or not .

I cant comment on how long it will last, but the SSS and JT combo i had last time was pants.

525VX 110ZB i presume that's what you meant. Apparently its OEM spec.

You were had, got mine for 69.99:D.

ricky, they are on ebay (D & K motorcycles) but they are mail order too.
Have heard a few people slate them but I'm happy, although don't know how long the sprockets are likely to last.

Mines a different model to yours so i'm not sure which is better.

Surely a chain is just a chain to a certain extent DID is the one Suzuki recommended me so thats why i got it.

rowdy
12-06-09, 04:07 PM
Only difference is yours is one link longer.

Only time will tell I guess but if it keeps me on the road thats the main thing for me.

jimmy-james
12-06-09, 04:40 PM
Only difference is yours is one link longer.

Only time will tell I guess but if it keeps me on the road thats the main thing for me.

Exactly what i was thinking. Gold chains look nice but its not worth the extra 20 the shop were asking. The injector pump on my VW T4 has died 2 weeks before i go for a trip around Europe in it so that is my priority at the moment.

MrMoonface
12-06-09, 07:07 PM
I've just bought a tsubaki chain and renthal sprocket. Mine are pretty much at the end of there life! (Not to mention look tatty as hell!) I'll let you know how i get on with them...just need to get them fitted now!

jimmy-james
12-06-09, 11:23 PM
I've just bought a tsubaki chain and renthal sprocket. Mine are pretty much at the end of there life! (Not to mention look tatty as hell!) I'll let you know how i get on with them...just need to get them fitted now!

If you are fitting them yourself loosen the rear sprocket bolts and the front sprocket bolt before you remove the wheel and the old chain. Then its a simple job of cutting the old chain off, fitting the new sprockets and finally the chain.

I did mine today and it was much easier than the first time. Got the link on and took it up the my local dealer where they riveted it for me for free.

Good luck :)

MrMoonface
14-06-09, 07:35 PM
If you are fitting them yourself loosen the rear sprocket bolts and the front sprocket bolt before you remove the wheel and the old chain. Then its a simple job of cutting the old chain off, fitting the new sprockets and finally the chain.

I did mine today and it was much easier than the first time. Got the link on and took it up the my local dealer where they riveted it for me for free.

Good luck :)

Don't fancy fitting this myself! I'm not very mechanically minded to be honest! I'm gonna find somewhere reputable near me to fit it them alongwith my new discs / pads / hoses!:)

newts924
20-06-09, 10:38 AM

I have a K6 would these be ok for my model.

Sorry for being thick again but i don't have a clue :smt104

rowdy
20-06-09, 11:09 AM
I have a K6 would these be ok for my model.

Sorry for being thick again but i don't have a clue :smt104
Yes as long as you order for a k6 and specify whether it is faired s model or naked as they are different lenghts.

newts924
20-06-09, 01:59 PM
Yes as long as you order for a k6 and specify whether it is faired s model or naked as they are different lenghts.

Ok thanks for your help ;)