PDA

View Full Version : Cheap weekend away?

cF^
22-07-09, 09:08 PM
So i've used up all my holiday days at work but i'd still like to get away on the bike for a weekend somewhere, I'm just not sure where!
Can anyone reccomend a destination that's good for riding in, has nice scenery and is close(ish) to Oxford? I was thinking South Wales perhaps? I'm hoping wherever I can go I can find a cheap hostel or B+B for a couple of nights and get lots of riding done in the day.
Any ideas? :confused:

Essex of Essex
22-07-09, 10:37 PM
Hay on Wye, gives you access to lots of scenery and nice roads. You can give yourself a scenic run at it from Oxford and as they have the book festival you should be able to find plenty of B+B accomodation.

GeneticBubble
22-07-09, 10:41 PM
what i always thought would be fun, is just making sure i had enough money and just getting on the bike and going a direction and seeing where i end up at the end on the day, chances are there will be a B&B or hotel local to where you end up.

well thats what i would do anyway. ;)

Lozzo
22-07-09, 11:23 PM
Avoid Wales, it's full of welsh people and things that are laughingly refered to as policemen

Richie
22-07-09, 11:33 PM
just buy me beer and I'm 100% yours... now what was the question...

arr, try the Cheddar Gorge (http://www.cheddarcaves.co.uk/)area... nice

Bri w
23-07-09, 07:29 AM
what i always thought would be fun, is just making sure i had enough money and just getting on the bike and going a direction and seeing where i end up at the end on the day, chances are there will be a B&B or hotel local to where you end up.

well thats what i would do anyway. ;)

That's one of my fav ways. I've even done it without any kit, set off for a ride which has gone on a bit longer than anticipated, and gone and bought a toothbrush, jockeys etc.

Ed
23-07-09, 08:53 AM
South Shropshire:cool: Anywhere south of Shrewsbury is good, the area around Ludlow is simply fantastic.

kitkat
23-07-09, 09:14 AM
just follow the sunshine

Spiderman
23-07-09, 12:09 PM
Cotswalds are pretty and some nice roads too but i doubt you'd find cheapish B&Bs, can be a bit pricey at times.

SoulKiss
23-07-09, 12:17 PM
When you planning on getting away?

If its next weekend, may I suggest Essex (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=131877)?

cF^
23-07-09, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately next weekend i'm busy otherwise I'd love to go to the AR! Maybe next year eh? :(
Hoping to go in a few weeks time, mid to late august probably.
Is Wales REALLY full of policemen? It does seem like a nice place to head to. I may do what people suggest and just ride until I stop somewhere, seems like a nice way to do it, although I'd like to have a reigion in mind.
Cheddar looks like fun, although i'm skeptical as to how long that road lasts, seems like a long way to go for a 5 minute fun run through a gorge =p

Speedy Claire
23-07-09, 04:57 PM
My suggestion for a cheap weekend away would be to join the AA. First of all join up for £7 per month by direct debit which gives you instant membership. Secondly log onto

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/saver_rooms/

and have a look at the hotels where the cheapest £19 rooms are then decide on your location, book the rooms and go. On the final day of your holiday remove your gear lever and attach a broken one then ring the AA for relay home thus saving you the expense of the return journey home. Once home replace the broken gear lever with the non broken one and cancel your AA membership :D

Spiderman
23-07-09, 05:00 PM
Quality idea Claire :lol: Girl after my own lazy, cheapskate heart.

littleperson
23-07-09, 06:37 PM
If you cant get a Travelodge room try laterooms .com you can get some good deals from them