PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or Xbox 360

wizurd
22-07-09, 09:18 PM
Evening,

I'm looking at getting one of these soon. However i really can't make up my mind as to which is the best console at the moment.

Can anyone thats got these or played on both give me their choice as to which is best and why?

Whats the online features like on both of these? I had Xbox 360 a while back and found the Xbox live good but no idea how it compares on the PS3.

Cheers

zsv650
22-07-09, 09:24 PM
i have both and the answer is there both as good the controller on the xbox is far far superior though live is good but psn just get's better day by day as more people buy ps3's graphic's again little between them probably if i had to say which look's better i'd go xbox for third party game's and ps3 for exclusive's(killzone 2 anyone) as a multimedia station ps3 is a belter bluray bluetooth built in wi fi the lot mind you i've found the xbox hooking up to pc a usefull feature reliability is ps3's trump card though but apparently the newer xbox's have sorted the issue's and i own a new one so i'll have to wait a bit to confirm if their telling porkies or not.

vannus
22-07-09, 09:24 PM
online xbox is much better but you pay on ps3 not so good but free.
ps3 is also blu-ray but better selection of games on xbox. Just depends purely on personal preference.
I also have both and both can stream audio and video from my pc. Xbox is in sons room PS3 is mine and is mainly used as a blu-ray/movie player.

pookie
22-07-09, 09:30 PM
also take into account that xbox is really noisey, like driving thru a tunnel at 60mph with the windows down.

cF^
22-07-09, 09:32 PM
I'd say the Xbox360. In my opinion it's got a far better catalogue of games as well as a much better selection of games on XBLA compared to the PSN. It's probably best to compare the exclusive titles and see if any of them sway your decision though.

I'm a games tester so get far too much time on both platforms and I much prefer the Xbox controller as it is more comfy and the analog sticks give more feedback than the Ps3 ones.

Rumours are circulating that both platforms may get a price cut in September so if you can wait till then you may get a better deal :)

I own neither however, as I prefer doing my gaming on the PC :)

zsv650
22-07-09, 09:35 PM
ps3 approx £182 according to gm i heard.

ThEGr33k
22-07-09, 09:39 PM
also take into account that xbox is really noisey, like driving thru a tunnel at 60mph with the windows down.

Thats the DVD drive. Install the games to HDD and its pretty much silent ;) elite for the win :D

zsv650
22-07-09, 09:43 PM
arcade console ftw that way when it inevitably break's you won't lose as much.

GeneticBubble
22-07-09, 09:50 PM
BOTH! if not get an xbox..simply because i have one aswell :thumbsup:

DarrenSV650S
22-07-09, 10:03 PM
Neither. You won't play it after a couple of months lol
I've got a 360 but I'd go for the PS3 just because the online stuff is free

wizurd
22-07-09, 10:07 PM
cool - thanks for the advice so far. If there might be reductions in Sept then i'll wait to then although don't really wanna take that long :-)

I prefer the controller on the xbox 360 i think compared to the PS3 although as mentioned the noise is a pain from what i remember.

wizurd
22-07-09, 10:08 PM

lol i'll make an effort to spend as much time on which ever one i pick lol

arcdef
22-07-09, 10:19 PM
i prefer the playstation, better over all console (dare i say the 360 is dated now :O ) and also the games coming out in a year on the ps3 wont even be able to operate on the xbox (so they say.....)

However!!!

due to the fact everyone i know owning an xbox i will soon be buying one just so i can play them online.

Specialone
22-07-09, 10:33 PM
Personally, having to pay for gaming online is a joke, also they have had horrendous reliability problems with the 'ring of death' issue, older ones you had to have an extra gizmo to play online you couldnt just go on straight away like the ps3.
I hate the controllers, contrary to what other users say, IMO go with ps3, sony have always won the console battle since it all started, many try but none succeed.
Phil

zsv650
22-07-09, 10:49 PM
i reckon that sega will make another console that'll be the killer one to have now they build reliable console's my dreamcast still working i think it's about 10 years old now megadrive 1 from early 90's still going let's see ps3 or xbox live that long.

lukemillar
22-07-09, 11:30 PM

That's me! I don't own any console at the moment. I buy one and a couple of games, get bored after a few months and then it collects dust, so I sell it.

I'm sort of reaching that "wouldn't mind buying on again", but I know exactly what is going to happen, so maybe I shouldn't bother!

DarrenSV650S
22-07-09, 11:32 PM
I prefer pc games, even though I can only play old games on my laptop

zsv650
23-07-09, 12:33 AM
I prefer pc games, even though I can only play old games on my laptop
find cutthroat's for your lappy the most amazing addictive game i have played for pc and it's really low specced so should run peice of **** don't know if it'll be compatible with vista though it is old.:)

DarrenSV650S
23-07-09, 12:40 AM
Is that a strategy type thing? I used to play master of olympus- zeus years ago until it got too easy. I'm on df black hawk down now

zsv650
23-07-09, 12:42 AM
no it's a pirate type game where you plunder ship's recruit your crew plunder more ship's buy some cannon's plunder some ship's got the picture yet haha.

metalangel
23-07-09, 06:48 AM
Definitely the 360. Install the games to the hard drive and they load fast and the system is a lot quieter, there's a far better selection of games, there's huge amounts of excellent stuff to download on the Live Arcade, the controller is better... yes, Live Gold (online play) does cost but if you're going to be buying a £100 console with £40 games you *can* afford a £35 yearly subscription.

Everyone I know who has a PS3 does like it, but everyone I know who has both barely touch their PS3.

TazDaz
23-07-09, 06:54 AM
PS3 as soon as Gran Turismo comes out...!

I had a 360 and sold it purely because of the noise it made. PS3 is also more complete out of the box as you don't need to buy a wireless adapter, not to mention the flexibility (Linux).

STRAMASHER
23-07-09, 06:57 AM
Just got a PS3 cos nobody else does Gran Turismo. And they are the best racing games ever. Hurry up 5.

Any Xbox game more than likely comes out for PC too. So I don't get the point in having it.

Its replaced my DVD (upscales your ol' DVDs to 1080) and is also a Blu-ray player. (Only got The Story Of Anvil at the mo', so does not exactly show blu-ray off, compared to some flashy hollywood film)

VERY happy with it.

hindle8907
23-07-09, 08:55 AM
I have both, well i have 2x PS3 and 3x xbox360 lol (and a Wii), ps3 and 2x 360 in living room and ps3 and 360 in the chill out room , One of the xbox360s in the living room is modded to play backup games so i don’t go online with that one in in case my account gets banned. hence having 2 in the living room .

Xbox’s are good consoles and you get a much better online experience than the ps3 imo.

but the ps3 has more future potential and your getting a blue ray player as well which is a added bonus ....

but all in all they are both very good consoles and both have official games that only come out for each console hence why i have both but in Graphics comparison they both superb .... Metal Gear Solid on the PS3 is amazing and i would say has got the best graphics on a game i have ever seen .
But Gears of war 1 + 2 are both amazing games on the Xbox360 so it’s a hard situation .

But all in all if you can afford both get em both :D

IF not I duno I couldn’t pick now that I have both it would be like choosing between my SV650 and my Other half lol …

but as one of my xboxs is modded i save a shed load of money on games im not going to play online . so it paid for its self after i burnt 3 games off ...

just rent them from block buster ... use a samsung keron drive to make a rip of the game .. then use a Dual layer DVD burner to burn the Disk its kool .

SoulKiss
23-07-09, 09:31 AM
I'm a pirate chav and I'm ok,
I game all night and download all day

He's a pirate chav and I'm ok,
he games all night and downloads all day

I cut down noobs. I hump their corpse.
I love my PS3.
On Wednesdays I play GTA'
Oh how I long for Xbox Hot Coffee.

:)

Alpinestarhero
23-07-09, 09:38 AM
Just got a PS3 cos nobody else does Gran Turismo. And they are the best racing games ever. Hurry up 5.

google forza motorsport 3....they've managed to model tyre-flex! Gonna be vastly better than GT5, which is gonna have lots of variations of skylines anyway :lol:

Xbox, Xbox, Xbox!

hindle8907
23-07-09, 09:39 AM
im not a chav lol and i still buy orignals for the xbox360 if i know im going to play them online .
and i still buy Ps3 games ...
but if games wasnt so over priced i wouldnt do this but im sure iv read in a post by you .... Soulkiss ......

My pc is downloading 247 and i have over 3tb worth of stuff lol ... so what are you downloading ?? thats the question lol ...;)

hindle8907
23-07-09, 09:40 AM
+ 1 on the Forza

forza owns !!! well better than GT .... and the xbox360 wheel is amazing on forza .

SoulKiss
23-07-09, 09:41 AM
im not a chav lol and i still buy orignals for the xbox360 if i know im going to play them online .
and i still buy Ps3 games ...
but if games wasnt so over priced i wouldnt do this but im sure iv read in a post by you .... Soulkiss ......

My pc is downloading 247 and i have over 3tb worth of stuff lol ... so what are you downloading ?? thats the question lol ...;)

Same as everyone - Linux Distributions, there are a lot of them and I like to maintain my archive.

Honest officer :)

hindle8907
23-07-09, 09:42 AM
and tbh i hardly have time to play on any of my consoles i think its been months since i sat down and played .....

Alpinestarhero
23-07-09, 10:09 AM
+ 1 on the Forza

forza owns !!! well better than GT .... and the xbox360 wheel is amazing on forza .

Yes, yes it is! My bro got the steering wheel and a frame thing with a seat to mount it all onto. It cost (him) alot but i really (really) enjoy playing on it. Even my dad, who has never had a go on a computer console before, jumped on and (slowly) drove a honda civic around the nurburgring, with a big grin. He was trying to find the spot he wa watchinfrom, but when he got a bit excited and got into a weave and crashed, he gave up :smt046

IMO, i prefer the Xbox 360. The games avaliable are more appealing to me and the online community would seem far better (my mate, who has a PS3 and an xbox 360, complains about the online community for the ps3. His generally gets unused except to watch Blueray films)

hindle8907
23-07-09, 10:26 AM
yeah the xbox360 online is much better but that comes at a cost where as the Playstion network is free so you pay for what you get really .

ThEGr33k
23-07-09, 10:38 AM
PC All good! :D

mcsmarts
23-07-09, 11:07 AM
i can sell ya a 360 that will play back ups ;-)

wizurd
23-07-09, 11:23 AM
thanks for the replies! i thought there would be quite a few. Well its probably going to be the xbox360 looking at it. As some have said i reckon the PS3 will be better down the line. I don't really need a blueray player so not bothered about that but the online gaming does matter. While it means paying for it on the xbox 360 i don't mind if the whole online experience is better. Right, going to have to look at deals now.

O and on the pc front i'm also sorting that as well cause have played online on pc's before now (BF1942 and Desert Combat mod) and loved it. So xbox 360 and pc.

zsv650
23-07-09, 11:26 AM
thanks for the replies! i thought there would be quite a few. Well its probably going to be the xbox360 looking at it. As some have said i reckon the PS3 will be better down the line. I don't really need a blueray player so not bothered about that but the online gaming does matter. While it means paying for it on the xbox 360 i don't mind if the whole online experience is better. Right, going to have to look at deals now.

O and on the pc front i'm also sorting that as well cause have played online on pc's before now (BF1942 and Desert Combat mod) and loved it. So xbox 360 and pc.
if you are going for a 360 keep your receipt and any other form's of proof of purchase that way when it get's rrod it's a simple call for a fix or replacement.

wizurd
23-07-09, 11:33 AM
i thought they'd sorted all those failures on the xbox 360 now?

zsv650
23-07-09, 11:36 AM
hopefully they have or so they say they have if possible get the mfr of the back of the console should be 09 so you get the full three year's (i think it is)on rrod.