PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist OFF

DavieSV
22-07-09, 09:55 PM
After a ride tonight, we sat out side a pub having a pint before heading home. The Pub faces a T junction. A Corsa parked on the side road only 10 yards from the end of the road. The enterance to the road are big sweeping arcs and he parked just where the kerbs straightened up.

A cyclist came around the corner and the idiot opened his door just to catch the cyclists left handle bar and shoulder.

The cyclist didn't land untill the center line & rolled into the oncoming lane about 20 yards down the road.

As we left, the ambulance was in attendance and the man seemed OK.

The problem was, they sent a ambulance with only one paramedic on board, so he had to radio through for another ambulance before they could streacher him into the back:(

madness
22-07-09, 10:14 PM
The problem was, they sent a ambulance with only one paramedic on board, so he had to radio through for another ambulance before they could streacher him into the back:(

That sounds like a cost cutting exercise. The paramedic in a car is great for getting there fast, but as in this case it doesn't always work.

punyXpress
22-07-09, 10:15 PM
I bet the cyclist now knows ALL about counter-steering!

Quiff Wichard
22-07-09, 10:23 PM
shame..

but

the cyclist like us bikers should always leave a door width for that very reason eh..

Kilted Ginger
22-07-09, 11:58 PM
hope you gave a witness statement details

zsv650
23-07-09, 12:39 AM
shame..

but

the cyclist like us bikers should always leave a door width for that very reason eh..
haha try doing that with traffic following you instant death.

Speedy Claire
23-07-09, 06:15 AM
Poor bloke and I hope he`s not too badly injured. They seem to do this... send one paramedic ahead to assess or triage the casualty then they send the relevant crew.

fizzwheel
23-07-09, 07:31 AM
Nasty

I've nearly been taken out twice like that. Its not fun. Quiff's right I you should I do leave a door width, but some car doors especially on something like a 3 series BMW are really long and no way can you leave enough room otherwise you'll be out in the other lane if the road is a bit narrow.

Roads would be a lot better if we all looked out for each other and showed a bit of tolerance to.

Viney
23-07-09, 07:36 AM
I saw a bloke go over a bonnet once in Croydon. He done about 3 forward rolls, got up and bowed! I laughed :)

Many years ago when i were a lad (Say in yorkshire accent...dunno why) a mate hit an opening car door full on on his BMX, and whent throught the window of the door...lucky enough it was open!

Filipe M.
23-07-09, 09:42 AM
Happened to me before, had a very lucky escape as I managed not to break anything. Thank **** I always wear a lid, the thing I remember more clearly is my body hitting the ground shoulder first and my head pivoting around my neck smashing sideways into the cobbles. The words "OUCH, that would have been nasty without the lid on..." instantly crossed my (intact!) mind.

Score?
Me: 1 lid + 1 handlebar extension binned
**** in van: 1 broken finger :laughat: he was still holding the door's handle when I slammed into it :lol:

Jabba
23-07-09, 11:05 AM
Score?
Me: 1 lid + 1 handlebar extension binned
**** in van: 1 broken finger :laughat: he was still holding the door's handle when I slammed into it :lol:

:lol:

As a newly reborn cyclist, I'm beginning to have sympathy for cyclists where previously there was none :rolleyes:

Filipe M.
23-07-09, 11:08 AM
:lol:

As a newly reborn cyclist, I'm beginning to have sympathy for cyclists where previously there was none :rolleyes:

Don't let Soulkiss hear you! :-$

Lozzo
23-07-09, 12:59 PM
I'll bet the cyclist isn't insured for the damage he's done to the car

Biker Biggles
23-07-09, 02:59 PM
That sounds like a cost cutting exercise. The paramedic in a car is great for getting there fast, but as in this case it doesn't always work.

Not cost cutting as all those resourses cost more than just an ambulance sent in the first place.
What it does do is meet a pointless government target by getting someone there within so many minutes,even if they cant actually do the job.:smt017

Thats why NHS costs are going up so fast while actual achievements are only grovelling up slowly.miles behind.A classic case of the law of diminishing returns.

Holdup
23-07-09, 05:06 PM
I always remember i was quite young, 5 maybe? idk but i was in back of my Mums car and a cyclist was on the pavement bout to ride across the road at a juction so he could continue on his journey, didnt see my Mums car at first, then he did and grabbed the front anchors and went straight over the handle bars landed right on his face got up siad he was ok and rode off...