PDA

View Full Version : swine flu - get out

kitkat
23-07-09, 09:13 AM
went to gp surgery yesterday to see about getting prescription for Libby as she is dairy intolerant and need to get special formula. anyway big sign as you walked towards front door -

"if you have swine flu symptoms please go home and phone your GP. Do not enter this building" bit harsh as its a doctors surgery then I went to local chemist to pick up prescription and they also had a sign on their door -

"if you wish to pick up a prescription for tamiflu (or whatever its called) (Sign didnt say that, I just cant remember its name) please go to tesco or farnborough"

hardly surprising people are dying from swine flu they cant get medical help or medicine.

Am I the only person that is not concerned about this pandemic or am I just being stupid and should I be panicing?

TazDaz
23-07-09, 09:19 AM
Am I the only person that is not concerned about this pandemic or am I just being stupid and should I be panicing?

No point in panicing now...and other than not leaving you're house there isn't much you can do to avoid it anyways!

I'll only start panicing when the death toll gets significantly higher...I'm sure more people would die from normal flu by now if it were winter! The only difference is that people are dying in summer...and back to the winter flu, I'm sure we'd all have traces of the virus in us if they tested anyways!

We have a new "wash hands" regime at work where you have to wash your hands every hour or something. Doesn't really work though as there are over 100 people on my floor and only 8 sinks! :)

I'm not even allowed at work this week because I had flu like symptoms and the doc "thinks" it may have been swine flu...at least it's paid sick leave though! :)

Gazza77
23-07-09, 09:21 AM
went to gp surgery yesterday to see about getting prescription for Libby as she is dairy intolerant and need to get special formula. anyway big sign as you walked towards front door -

"if you have swine flu symptoms please go home and phone your GP. Do not enter this building" bit harsh as its a doctors surgery then I went to local chemist to pick up prescription and they also had a sign on their door -

"if you wish to pick up a prescription for tamiflu (or whatever its called) (Sign didnt say that, I just cant remember its name) please go to tesco or farnborough"

hardly surprising people are dying from swine flu they cant get medical help or medicine.

I'm not concerned about it, however I can appreciate the need for caution. Special procedures have been put in place to deal with potential swine flu victims; there is no point in unecessarily spreading the illness unnecessarily. A bit harshly worded perhaps, but people tend to ignore advice in such cases and do what they want anyway...

keithd
23-07-09, 09:21 AM
im not picnicing yet, am doing what i normally do, i aint letting it effect my (playboy) lifestyle.

if i get it, i figure there's a 1% chance i'll die, thems aint bad odds.

kitkat
23-07-09, 09:23 AM
im not picnicing yet, am doing what i normally do, i aint letting it effect my (playboy) lifestyle.

thats cos its raining:p

Nicky S
23-07-09, 09:24 AM

lol i like that :P but swine flu .... a few of my friends family have got it and all they got told to do was stay in there room and dont leave the house untill it has gone ...

dosent sound fun

Tara
23-07-09, 09:34 AM
not panicing yet but i am concerned i've had a few sympptons and been told to contact my gp but i don't feel ill - i get hot and tired and have no energy anyway am nearly 7 months pregnant its how i am supposed to feel if i get a high temperature then i will contact the docs then but i am avoiding crowds and public transport

Von Teese
23-07-09, 09:43 AM
"if you wish to pick up a prescription..... please go to tesco or farnborough"

Where there will be a significantly higher number of people to infect than here!

Stig
23-07-09, 09:44 AM
Not really bothered by it at the moment. Did anyone see the series 'The Survivors'?

Grinch
23-07-09, 09:53 AM
Jax was told that she might have it, as she's displaying the symptoms. I told work as I might infected and they seemed not bothered at all. I haven't started oinking yet.

thedonal
23-07-09, 09:57 AM
In fairness, I think that the people who are susceptible to serious or fatal consequences of contracting H1N1 are likey to get the medical attention they need.

This is simply a way of preventing further spread of the virus. Normally, you can get diagnosed over the phone, as GPs aren't actively testing for Swine Flu now.

We have 2 'confirmed' cases at work now- one on each site. We've got guidelines and amusing 50s style posters going up- "Coughs and sneezes spread diseases". It amused me as a poster went up near my desk- I am probably one of the loudest sneezers in this hemisphere (or at least the office)!

We've just been told to wash our hands and if we suspect flu symptoms have a 14 day exemption from the usual sick leave, Dr's letter rules...

plowsie
23-07-09, 10:01 AM
I've seen horses with worse odds...

I wanna see on one of these signs someone write, 'how the feck do you want me to do that when I haven't got any credit on me phone!'

gruntygiggles
23-07-09, 10:19 AM
Not bothered and don't see the need to panic unless it evolves or mutates and there's no sign of that.

I don't blame the doctors or chemists for displaying those signs. Swine flu can be diagnosed over the phone and for the otherwise healthy patients, they won't be given anything, but be told to stay in, keep to themselves and keep good hygiene practices.

The people who are at risk are those with underlying health problems, that NEED to go to the doctors for various reasonsn and so by allowing Swine Flu patients into the surgeries, they are putting many other patients at risk. So....I think staying away from the docs is a good thing.

Also, the lady that died that had no underlying health problems may not be that straightforward. She may not have known she had something wrong, but who knows???

keithd
23-07-09, 10:22 AM
oh, and just to put your minds at rest, in Canada they've found a strain of the virus that is resistant to Tamiflu or whatever its called.

gruntygiggles
23-07-09, 10:24 AM
oh, and just to put your minds at rest, in Canada they've found a strain of the virus that is resistant to Tamiflu or whatever its called.

Lovely. It's a new strain, it's bound to change and develop for a while but I won't panic until I start seeing my neighbours flying...oink oink!

Rorshach
23-07-09, 11:38 AM
i have a flame thrower at work *just in case* of zombies.

couldnt be less bothered.....winter flu kills more people than H1N1. the WHO are more concerned about its communicability (cross species),spread and mutation, hence trying to knock it on the head with TAMIFLU...not what its currently up to here

gerbrox
23-07-09, 11:48 AM
My brother had the flu, he phones the doctors to be told that he had all the symtoms but he was asked if he was in contact with anyone with swine flu, he said he didn't so the doctor told him he probably didn't have swine flu, he went to t in the park couple of days later

How would my Brother know if anyone else had it that he might have been in contact with???

When they started doing diagnosis over the phone in glasgow the cases went up from 40 to 500 cases in one day, we glasgwegians know how to skive off!!!!!

Diagnosis is only going make every thing apear worse then it might be.

My wife is a non clerical manager and she was told that if it gets worse then I have to take care of kids etc as NHS staff regardless clerical or not take priority even if she's not meant to be working she'll be requeted to help handing up tamiflu etc.

Can anyone tell me how many people in summer die of normal Flu cos thats the only comparison you can make.

Personally not really worried, SKB are going to make £1 billion / year if they come up with a vacine (speaks volumes)

kitkat
23-07-09, 12:37 PM
i woke up this morning with pigtails, should I worry? lol

Neeja
23-07-09, 12:43 PM
Had it last week. Went into work Tuesday and felt like crap, so was ordered to call the GP as we've had 2 cases in the office so far. Doctor said I had the majority of symptoms, and I got sent home and told to not come back in until the symptoms had completely gone. Had to get a friend to pick up some Tamiflu for me from the chemist nearby.

Spend Wednesday cleaning the SV's calipers and sorting the braking system.
Spent Thursday playing xbox and reading.
Spent Friday playing xbox, brief interval to strip the rear subframe off the SV for a clean+respray before undertray fitting.
Spent Saturday respraying subframe and fitting undertray.
Spent Sunday playing Xbox.
Spent Monday playing Xbox.
Spent Tuesday playing Xbox.
Back in work Wednesday.

One of the least eventful weeks of my life. Never once felt any worse than just having a cold.

joshmac
23-07-09, 01:12 PM
No :-D

HTH

Viney
23-07-09, 01:21 PM
i woke up this morning with pigtails
What you call DD is no place for a U rated forum thank you

Spiderman
23-07-09, 01:31 PM
"if you have swine flu symptoms please go home and phone your GP. Do not enter this buildi

I was surprsied to hear on a mainstrean news progaramme last night a scientist criticizing the World Health Organisation and the drug makers of profiteering and creating a scare and a pamdemic "type" situation. he said he found it very worrying that the WHO were very keen to call this a pandemic when indepedant reserch scientists have said that the cases this flu has brough about are minor comapred to normal flus and colds for this time of year.
He described it as "an out of control juggernaut sent out by the WHO and Drugs companies to spread panic" :shock: Now this story didn't surprise me as i have read far more worrying and deeper reserach into this but i was shocked that this was allowed out on a mainstrean TV news programme as this type of talk has been about on plenty of other websites already....sadly those websites are always tarred with the "conspiracists" brush.

However, these stories are both very true...
The company that released contaminated flu virus material from a plant in Austria confirmed Friday that the experimental product contained live H5N1 avian flu viruses.

The contamination incident, which is being investigated by the four European countries, came to light when the subcontractor in the Czech Republic inoculated ferrets with the product and they died. Ferrets shouldn’t die from exposure to human H3N2 flu viruses.

And an official of the World Health Organization’s European operation said the body is closely monitoring the investigation into the events that took place at Baxter International’s research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria.

“At this juncture we are confident in saying that public health and occupational risk is minimal at present,” medical officer Roberta Andraghetti said from Copenhagen, Denmark.

“But what remains unanswered are the circumstances surrounding the incident in the Baxter facility in Orth-Donau.”

which has led to...
Journalist Files Charges against WHO and UN for Bioterrorism and Intent to Commit Mass Murder.
Specifically, evidence is presented that the defendants, Barack Obama, President of the U.S, David Nabarro, UN System Coordinator for Influenza, Margaret Chan, Director-General of WHO, Kathleen Sibelius, Secretary of Department of Health and Human Services, Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Department of Homeland Security, David de Rotschild, banker, David Rockefeller, banker, George Soros, banker, Werner Faymann, Chancellor of Austria, and Alois Stoger, Austrian Health Minister, among others, are part of this international corporate criminal syndicate which has developed, produced, stockpiled and employed biological weapons to eliminate the population of the U.S. and other countries for financial and political gain.

And thats a lot of people to go accusing unless you really are onto somethng i think.
All i know is i dont belive the hype of TV news and i dont trust the idea f all this pre-planning for an epedimic that isnt here.
FFS they cant pre-plan to keep the roads clear of snow when its blatantly obvious its gonna snow but they can find the time and money to set all this up for something they think (hope) is gonna spread like wildfire? Just dont sit right with me.

keithd
23-07-09, 02:28 PM
the WHO were very keen to call this a pandemic when indepedant reserch scientists have said that the cases this flu has brough about are minor comapred to normal flus and colds for this time of year.

yep, i heard this too. they said they'd been caught once before, but this time "they wont get fooled again"

plowsie
23-07-09, 02:35 PM
yep, i heard this too. they said they'd been caught once before, but this time "they wont get fooled again"
Dizzyness makes you feel like your on a 'magic bus' apparently.

On that note a Flu ridden friend of mine, went round his house, his room looks like a 'Teenage Wasteland'.

thedonal
23-07-09, 03:04 PM

On that note a Flu ridden friend of mine, went round his house, his room looks like a 'Teenage Wasteland'.

Just look out for your hygiene, to make sure "The Kids are Alright".

Owenski
23-07-09, 03:18 PM
As good as a free week off work sounds Neeja your going to look a total mug if you actually catch it now.
Its meant to be better to catch it sooner rather than later isnt it? Dont pay much attention to the headlines etc but I heard words to the effect that as more people pass on and contract the virus then more variations of it will mutate. Eventually everyone will have had contact/been infected and statistically its 1 in 200 will die where as common flu its 1 in 1000.
Some people seem to think, swine flu = death which amuses me. I do quite like the shaun of the dead style zombie nation though that'd be worth been around to see.

Bluewolf
23-07-09, 03:27 PM

dizzyblonde
23-07-09, 03:38 PM

Hey, how do you know what i feel like:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not too bothered about this flu thing to be honest. it wouldn't surprise me if the odd cough that my son has is the first signs, but he has asthma in winter, and hes not complaining about it.

However I would be concerned if it got near my dad, as his immune system is shot to pieces after a rather nasty kidney disease.

Neeja
23-07-09, 04:30 PM
As good as a free week off work sounds Neeja your going to look a total mug if you actually catch it now.

Err, wha?

I got a diagnosis from the doctors that I had it, which I believe. I had the symptoms, and one of the people I was in close-contact with at the office was confirmed as having it by swab before they started diagnosing over the phone.

The fact that I was still able to carry on basically as normal is meant to illustrate that, for the majority of people, it's no worse than a cold. It only becomes a problem once other health issues cause complications.

embee
23-07-09, 09:20 PM
The more people get it now the better, get it out of the way before the winter comes on.

Red Herring
23-07-09, 10:15 PM
My wife's a GP and has daily contact with it, despite the efforts she is going to to keep the suspect patients out of the surgery! Her biggest problem is dealing with the dozens of calls they are getting every day from people who think they have the bug and want the day/week off work. This is resulting in every surgery running mega late and quite a few other patients, with genuine serious issues, struggling to get seen.
Strangely enough in our house she's the only one yet to have it, and for some of us it's no big deal. I just felt lousy for a couple of days and didn't even miss work. Clearly for some people though it's a potential killer.

northwind
24-07-09, 05:26 PM

You're supposed to get diagnosed over the phone then send your "flu buddy" to get the vaccine... Cut down contact with other people. Quite sensible I suppose, you don't want all the chemists and doctors being ill too...

That must be a total pain, by the way, you with the wheat and her with the dairy, are there any meals that you can eat together? Boiled rice served with a nice glass of water? :smt104

joshmac
24-07-09, 11:25 PM
That must be a total pain, by the way, you with the wheat and her with the dairy, are there any meals that you can eat together? Boiled rice served with a nice glass of water? :smt104
Only get something that special on birthdays or Christmas ;)

ethariel
24-07-09, 11:43 PM
Well i had nearly 6 weeks off earlier this year with just a cold (well deep seated chest infection progressed to acute bronchitus and stopped just short of a hospital stay. So yep if i get it i could be a bit of a pi55er for me.

Used to just worry bout the winter months, now our meager summer **beeps** me over a barrell too!