PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to manners these days?

madness
24-07-09, 05:47 PM
Earlier today I was in the checkout queue at the supermarket. It was a fairly long one as only one checkout seemed to be working. There I was, waiting my turn, when 3 youths walked straight to the front of the queue, pushed in, paid for their stuff and left. The lass on the till did nothing, she probably didn't want any trouble. The old couple at the front of the queue also did nothing, presumably for the same reason. When I realised what the youths had done I was bl**dy annoyed, as were the majority of the queue. Everyone was muttering under their breath. Is there really any need for behaviour like this, nobody likes queuing, but this was just bad manners.

Bibio
24-07-09, 06:27 PM
very dodgy confronting youths like these as they may be 'methed up' and dont give a sh!t.. just let them get on with it and have a good laugh that their life is cr@p...

jamesterror
24-07-09, 06:30 PM
Lack of discipline in schools, I'll go with that for my pop at it.

Lozzo
24-07-09, 08:04 PM
Move to a less pikey area.

If a teenager did that round here and someone my age is likely to shove his head through the shop window

Sean_C
24-07-09, 08:12 PM
Heh. For better or for worse, I would've said something.. It really irks me when people don't have any common decency or are just downright rude.

dirtydog
24-07-09, 08:17 PM
Lack of discipline in schools, I'll go with that for my pop at it.

Ah I see so the parents aren't meant to discipline their children, it's all downto the schools. :rolleyes:

Graciepants
24-07-09, 08:17 PM
Move to a less pikey area.

If a teenager did that round here and someone my age is likely to shove his head through the shop window

cos thats not pikey-y behaviour?! ;)

DavieSV
24-07-09, 08:18 PM
That's why I go shopping with the misses

We have four boys between the ages of 25 & 18 and when they are all together thay can create chaos

They are not bad lads but after she has dealt with all their bickering for so long, no little toe rag will get away from her wrath..

..even if she is only five foot tall;)

gruntygiggles
24-07-09, 08:20 PM
I remember being in a little tecos, was just getting to the till and two young lads went under the queue rope to try and beat me to it. To this day I laugh at the fact that I think I was on auto pilot, but I treated them like the dogs....I just instantly pointed my finger at them and went, "SHHHTT" really sharp and loud while moving to block them.

They stopped immediately and just looked at me with "deer in the headlight eyes". I felt great, but if they'd done anything, I would have run....lol

davepreston
24-07-09, 08:25 PM
i ended up on the reciving end of a quite word from plod for stopping some gob****es jumping a cue in asda, funny thing was they had to pay for the freezer unit that was broken while i put them in it at speed lol

Lozzo
24-07-09, 08:26 PM
cos thats not pikey-y behaviour?! ;)

Nope, it's classed as education in the posher parts of Bedford

Milky Bar Kid
24-07-09, 08:27 PM
Was out for a meal the other night and noticed the difference in children. I am only 22 but when I was a child, my brother and I would go out with my parents and grandparents and have meals. We were always immaculate and our manners impeccable. The kids these days are screaming, running around under peoples feet and generally showing a lack of basic manners. No please, no thank you.

madness
24-07-09, 08:28 PM

Queue jumpers are annoying but I'm not sure I'd resort to that.

dirtydog
24-07-09, 08:31 PM
I see pretty much all kids are being tarred with the same brush here, not all kids are mannerless little oiks

madness
24-07-09, 08:36 PM
Now there's been a few posts I'll change the senario. Instead of a checkout queue, I'm in my car waiting at red traffic lights, and instead of 3 youths thers's 3 motorcyclists queue jumping. Still bad manners?

Lozzo
24-07-09, 08:37 PM
Now there's been a few posts I'll change the senario. Instead of a checkout queue, I'm in my car waiting at red traffic lights, and instead of 3 youths thers's 3 motorcyclists queue jumping. Still bad manners?

Different matter altogether. Motorcyclists filtering to the front do not hold you up when driving

madness
24-07-09, 08:39 PM
Different matter altogether. Motorcyclists filtering to the front do not hold you up when driving

Whether you're held up or not, is it good or bad manners to do it?

CoolGirl
24-07-09, 08:40 PM
I see pretty much all kids are being tarred with the same brush here, not all kids are mannerless little oiks

+1 - much as I complain about my lad, that's cos I'm his mum and I'm entitled to ;) but he's a very charming young man.

but it's not just the lower end of society that have forgotten their manners. I see quite a lot of poor behaviour from young people of the upper middle classes. For example, they will queue jump by pretending they've not to see you and think it's their priviledge to get served first. They push you out of the way to get on the tube, expect you to get out of their way if they're coming through a door etc. al the whiel usually brayingin to a mobile phone or at their companion (hence beign able to identify their origins).

I saw one get on the bus the other day and just walk past the driver. When he called her back for her to beep her travel pass, she said (in plummy tones) "Oh, do I have to pay?". Turned out she didn't have a pass at all and was ordered off the bus!

dirtydog
24-07-09, 08:45 PM
+1 - much as I complain about my lad, that's cos I'm his mum and I'm entitled to ;) but he's a very charming young man.

but it's not just the lower end of society that have forgotten their manners. I see quite a lot of poor behaviour from young people of the upper middle classes. For example, they will queue jump by pretending they've not to see you and think it's their priviledge to get served first. They push you out of the way to get on the tube, expect you to get out of their way if they're coming through a door etc. al the whiel usually brayingin to a mobile phone or at their companion (hence beign able to identify their origins).

I saw one get on the bus the other day and just walk past the driver. When he called her back for her to beep her travel pass, she said (in plummy tones) "Oh, do I have to pay?". Turned out she didn't have a pass at all and was ordered off the bus!

My 6yr old is very up on her manners and will prompt people to say thankyou or please and will even tell me off (for want of a better phrase) for not saying you're welcome after she has said thank you!

The thing is bad manners are present in all walks of life, as are most things

madness
24-07-09, 08:55 PM
Perhaps I've tried being a bit too clever here. I was hoping for a few 'Queue jumpers should be shot' type comments, but we've ended up comments about children. What I originally started this thread for was to get people thinking about the fact that most of us, as motorcyclists, do it at some time or another, and that it does annoy other road users.

Milky Bar Kid
24-07-09, 08:58 PM
I don't think people are getting at children, asI feel that childrens manners are as a result of their parents manners, or lack of. I think people are just using the children analogy as a way of highlighting the general lack of manners in society today.

And madness, yeah, I didn't get that1

petevtwin650
24-07-09, 08:59 PM
But filtering is allowed and an accepted practice. Queue jumping is alien to everything we English hold dear.

Milky Bar Kid
24-07-09, 09:00 PM
But filtering is allowed and an accepted practice. Queue jumping is alien to everything we English hold dear.

AHEM! not just English!

mikelcfc
24-07-09, 09:05 PM
yes, however a reason for havin a bike is for fun, however gettin places faster is also a part of it. i see your point that we(motorcyclists) may annoy car drivers, however, we do not, in any way cause disruption for them, we would only overtake them further on down the road, whereas the point you made in the supermarket, was of teenagers, jumping in a queue and making the people in the queue wait for longer.

the people i dislike onare the ones that,when there is a lane closure, go right to the cones and cut in as late as possible when the queue in the open lane tails back for a long way.

anna
24-07-09, 09:20 PM
Interesting thing, here in Portugual if you filter to the front of the que it is considered bad manners. If however you filter to the one before the front of the que, perfectly ok.

Lozzo
24-07-09, 09:31 PM
AHEM! not just English!

What do the Jockanese know about manners? They can't even keep their crap politicians to themselves

Lozzo
24-07-09, 09:36 PM
the people i dislike onare the ones that,when there is a lane closure, go right to the cones and cut in as late as possible when the queue in the open lane tails back for a long way.

Which is the proper way to filter in at a lane closure. It's pointless everyone filtering in together miles back, because all that does is extend the tailback further behind the roadworks.

What really bugs me are the simple minded truck drivers, and some car drivers, who hog the outside lane preventing anyone from filtering close to the cones. Who made them police officers for the day, or are they living out fantasies after having failed the aptitude test to become a traffic warden? I had one of these the other week, so I put two wheels up the central reservation and overtook him whilst making sure he saw I'd awarded him the order of the rigid digit. I took the number of his firm from the side of the van then called his boss and said he'd been driving like a w4nker.

madness
24-07-09, 09:36 PM
If you can safely pull up alongside the car at the front of the queue, and then beat it away from the lights, then I can't see anything wrong with that, or with filtering in stationary or slow moving traffic, as long as you're not forcing your way through. However, I'm not so sure about pulling up in front of the queue, especially when you have to cross the white stop line to do so. I regularly see that being done. Having had a car licence for 25 years and a bike licence for only 6 months, I probably look at this differently to the average biker.

Ed
24-07-09, 09:57 PM
Oh not more 'blame the parents, no, let's blame the teachers, no let's blame social workers' stuff...

Isn't it really time that individuals accepted responsibility for their own actions. I mean is my 22 years dead father who hated motorbikes really responsible for me filtering at traffic lights?

Graciepants
24-07-09, 09:58 PM
Isn't it really time that individuals accepted responsibility for their own actions. I mean is my 22 years dead father who hated motorbikes really responsible for me filtering at traffic lights?

yes :smt116

on a serious note though - surely we get annoyed at queue jumpers cos we ave to wait longer, whereas in filtering we dont hold people up?

petevtwin650
24-07-09, 09:59 PM
What does annoy me is when a bike has filtered to the front, then is very shabby at pulling away when the lights go off red.

Not bad manners though, just not good PR.

Ed
24-07-09, 10:01 PM
on a serious note though - surely we get annoyed at queue jumpers cos we ave to wait longer, whereas in filtering we dont hold people up?

You'd better ask darylB, he has a knack of stalling at traffic lights:rolleyes::D

Lozzo
24-07-09, 10:10 PM
Oh not more 'blame the parents, no, let's blame the teachers, no let's blame social workers' stuff...

Depends if his funeral cortege is still slowly winding its way to the cemetry

Sid Squid
25-07-09, 06:47 AM
Without a doubt, definitely.

He took your teddy away when you were four - causing you to harbour deep feelings of resentment and thus your desire to ride a motorcycle is a simple counter reaction to his dislikes. (Or some other such ludicrous psychobabble.)

muffles
25-07-09, 06:57 AM
If you can safely pull up alongside the car at the front of the queue, and then beat it away from the lights, then I can't see anything wrong with that, or with filtering in stationary or slow moving traffic, as long as you're not forcing your way through. However, I'm not so sure about pulling up in front of the queue, especially when you have to cross the white stop line to do so. I regularly see that being done. Having had a car licence for 25 years and a bike licence for only 6 months, I probably look at this differently to the average biker.

What's the difference between pulling up next to a car at the front of the queue, and pulling up in front of a car at the front of the queue? Realistically, I can't see a difference - as long as you get away quickly enough (not hard on a bike) you aren't going to be holding them up.

madness
25-07-09, 07:54 AM
What's the difference between pulling up next to a car at the front of the queue, and pulling up in front of a car at the front of the queue? Realistically, I can't see a difference - as long as you get away quickly enough (not hard on a bike) you aren't going to be holding them up.

It's the subtle difference between the car driver thinking 'Bl**dy hell!, I've got a biker alongside, he'll be wanting to beat me away from the lights'

or

'You ignorrant f*cking b*st*rd!'

muffles
25-07-09, 09:03 AM
It's the subtle difference between the car driver thinking 'Bl**dy hell!, I've got a biker alongside, he'll be wanting to beat me away from the lights'

or

Probably just have to agree to disagree then - if a driver's going to think 'You ignorrant f*cking b*st*rd!' if you filter in front of him, he's going to think exactly the same if you filter to the side of him. All IMO of course.

(car driver of 11 years and biker of 3)

Graciepants
25-07-09, 09:07 AM

or

personally i think its the subtle difference of a car driver thinking "you ignorrant blah blah" if you pull in front of him

or

perhaps not even realising you're there if you're next to him

Wideboy
25-07-09, 09:31 AM
lack of discipline, every time i stepped out of line when "i were lad" my dad used to give me a good whack, still does....... i turned out alright...... ish

do the job their parents didn't. Grab them by the neck and smash their faces on the counter all the while repeatedly shouting at them "its rude to push in" ,should do the trick

joshmac
25-07-09, 11:07 AM
Thanks for that mate. Really pi*ses me off sometimes when that happens

perhaps not even realising you're there if you're next to him
That's why baffles should go in the bin ;)

Graciepants
25-07-09, 06:26 PM
That's why baffles should go in the bin ;)

that would explain alot -my bike is still being choked :(

joshmac
25-07-09, 07:16 PM
Release the beast then ;)

maviczap
25-07-09, 07:23 PM
lack of discipline, every time i stepped out of line when "i were lad" my dad used to give me a good whack, still does....... i turned out alright...... ish

do the job their parents didn't. Grab them by the neck and smash their faces on the counter all the while repeatedly shouting at them "its rude to push in" ,should do the trick

I was tempt to do this tonight to some ferral youths, one who'd decided to scare the Sh*& out some tiny Chinese woman, and then stood in a mock Kung Fu pose as she remonstrated with him.

dirtydog
25-07-09, 07:58 PM

That's quite alright young whippersnapper ;)

You still have baffles in your can? You wierdo!

Sir Trev
26-07-09, 09:45 AM
How about the other way round? Entering the petrol station after filling the car a few weeks ago there are half a dozen tills (motorway services) and I head for the nearest till which only had the chap being served at it. He turned to leave just as I got there and before I could say my pump number I was yelled at by a bloke who dashed over from the other side of the bank of cash desks demanding I should "join the queue". I asked him if the staff had asked people to make one queue and if he thought he was in the Post Office? Having been there so many times I know there is no queing system in place and you go to whatever desk you want to. He had just decided on his own that there should be one queue and thought everyone should do the same.

Slightly different one at The Ace once... Hot day so I wandered up to an almost empty bar and ordered a drink. Turned to leave and then realised there was a long queue formed up at the far end of the bar, in the shadows, where nobody could see it unless they looked for it. Nobody said anything until after I'd got my drink and nobody had directed me to it as I walked in.

Another one (I'm on a roll). Check-in at Heathrow and we are in a PO style roped queue. Lost looking bloke wandering about suddenly notices the mass of BA signage and walks up to the first desk he sees. I yell at the staff to stop serving him and to send him to the queue like the rest of us were. Bloke was so embarassed he did so very quickly and the others in the queue looked at me in amazement (idiots).

Lastly (promise) if you want to see queue junping at it's best take a Lufthansa flight and sit near the gate in the departure lounge. Watching the Germans all trying to jump each other in the queue to be first through the gate and on to the airbridge is hillarious!!

Holdup
26-07-09, 10:16 AM
Was out for a meal the other night and noticed the difference in children. I am only 22 but when I was a child, my brother and I would go out with my parents and grandparents and have meals. We were always immaculate and our manners impeccable. The kids these days are screaming, running around under peoples feet and generally showing a lack of basic manners. No please, no thank you.

+1 i know what you mean, exactly the same.

Swin
26-07-09, 10:56 AM
I've always taken great pride in the fact that my boys (now 10 and 8) are very well behaved and have excellent table manners. We take them out for meals regularly (they both love indian food, which is handy) and one thing both my wife and I hate are kids who run amok in restaurants, so we have insisted on manners - they do us proud, they really do!

On the subject of filtering to the front of lights etc, I do it all the time on the commute into London, but not so much in my home town, unless there's a big queue - I've had car and bike licence for over 20 years now and it certainly doesn't annoy me if a bike filters past when I'm in the car. Surely it's better for the bikes to get out of the queue rather than add to it?

Sean_C
26-07-09, 11:02 AM
I've always taken great pride in the fact that my boys (now 10 and 8) are very well behaved and have excellent table manners. We take them out for meals regularly (they both love indian food, which is handy) and one thing both my wife and I hate are kids who run amok in restaurants, so we have insisted on manners - they do us proud, they really do!

On the subject of filtering to the front of lights etc, I do it all the time on the commute into London, but not so much in my home town, unless there's a big queue - I've had car and bike licence for over 20 years now and it certainly doesn't annoy me if a bike filters past when I'm in the car. Surely it's better for the bikes to get out of the queue rather than add to it?

If we misbehaved, it was quite likely we'd get a thick ear. It's taught me well, I have good manners, and I expect others to be the same. I hate seeing kids/teens/anybody with bad manners, so when I have kids you can be sure they'll behave, or end up with a lesson to learn. Strangely, my younger sister is one of those who just didn't care about manners, etiquette or anything like that, and she was treated just the same as me.

madness
26-07-09, 11:05 AM
Bikes filtering to the front of queues came up in conversation at work recently and I was surprised just how many car drivers get annoyed by it and think it's bad manners. I've got to admit that I've done it, but I don't do it all the time. My filtering/overtaking depends on many variables, such as whether I'm in a hurry, whether I'm by myself, what mood I'm in, whether I can ogle any fit babes while I'm queing etc.

Sean_C
26-07-09, 11:10 AM
I wonder how many of the drivers that think it's rude/bad manners to filter to the front would sit in a queue if they were on a bike, be it pedal power or a motorbike...
I agree you can filter to the front and do it nicely, or be a bit of a twot about it, I don't see why car drivers should be annoyed if you do it nicely. It's not like we hold them up.

Davido
26-07-09, 03:08 PM
Which is the proper way to filter in at a lane closure. It's pointless everyone filtering in together miles back, because all that does is extend the tailback further behind the roadworks.

What really bugs me are the simple minded truck drivers, and some car drivers, who hog the outside lane preventing anyone from filtering close to the cones. Who made them police officers for the day, or are they living out fantasies after having failed the aptitude test to become a traffic warden? I had one of these the other week, so I put two wheels up the central reservation and overtook him whilst making sure he saw I'd awarded him the order of the rigid digit. I took the number of his firm from the side of the van then called his boss and said he'd been driving like a w4nker.

My hero.

Sally
26-07-09, 03:22 PM

Were all yobs aparantly..

New word for the younger generation.. :(

Media/press induced.

Agree with WB, my dad and mum used to give me a whack if I was being a *****, they still do.

dizzyblonde
26-07-09, 03:31 PM

I can't stand this either. If my son did that he'd get a good clip round the earhole, or his backside whooped, and I really don't care who is watching, or who of you don't like that discipline. I bring my son up in the same way as my parents did with us kids. I am not ashamed to discipline my child, nor teach him right from wrong or indeed manners. At school all the teachers love him to pieces, as hes one of the very few that are a joy to teach and mind their Ps and Qs. It is indeed a dying thing these days to see well mannered kids, and it shows with the slightly older generation of chavvy gobby yobs with tracky bottoms pushed in their socks....well it does round here at least.

joshmac
26-07-09, 03:37 PM
young whippersnapper ;)

You still have baffles in your can? You wierdo!
My dad uses that word :lol:

+1, how odd :razz:

jamesterror
26-07-09, 03:42 PM
Ah I see so the parents aren't meant to discipline their children, it's all downto the schools. :rolleyes:

Bit of a late response to my comment after you quoted, but when in full time education 6 - 8 hours a day at school I'm sure schools do play a key role during term time?

joshmac
26-07-09, 03:43 PM
Bit of a late response to my comment after you quoted, but when in full time education 6 - 8 hours a day at school I'm sure schools do play a key role during term time?
Yeah but if someone's parents haven't taught them good manners they're just going to stick two fingers up (so to speak) and be rude if a teacher tells them to do something they don't like..

jamesterror
26-07-09, 03:49 PM
Yeah but if someone's parents haven't taught them good manners they're just going to stick two fingers up (so to speak) and be rude if a teacher tells them to do something they don't like..

Yeah I guess, but I'm sure aspects of manners and respect should be influenced within schools.

The schools I went to were made up of middle-class folk, and were all fairly respectable probably why I see it as an aspect which could be encouraged and taught in schools, but guess its more of a parents influence.

Wideboy
26-07-09, 05:17 PM
i have no problem with bikes filtering and even move out of the way to give them more room, the fact that car drivers get annoyed at filtering is laughable, its the "well i cant do it so why should he/she" mentality. I always filter to the front of ques/junctions/lights/ect even if im not in a rush simply because i can :lol: and the cage driver would do exactly the same as me if they were sat on 2 wheels, so why would he/she in a car get annoyed, even if he/she in the car is sat at the front of the junction, by the time they've gone into 1st or lifted the clutch the bike is already past the junction and on its way.

muffles
26-07-09, 08:22 PM
I've been thinking about this manners thing, and filtering...the problem is, it's just someone's opinion. I think I need to take the approach that there needs to be justification as to why it is bad manners - if I filter past a car, in front of him at the lights, what impact does it have to them? I "jumped the queue", but if that won't change anything apart from their perception (i.e. they will arrive at the same time, etc), there is no justification (IMO).

I guess this approach could apply to loads of different scenarios.

BernardBikerchick
26-07-09, 08:25 PM
Earlier today I was in the checkout queue at the supermarket. It was a fairly long one as only one checkout seemed to be working. There I was, waiting my turn, when 3 youths walked straight to the front of the queue, pushed in, paid for their stuff and left. The lass on the till did nothing, she probably didn't want any trouble. The old couple at the front of the queue also did nothing, presumably for the same reason. When I realised what the youths had done I was bl**dy annoyed, as were the majority of the queue. Everyone was muttering under their breath. Is there really any need for behaviour like this, nobody likes queuing, but this was just bad manners.

personally i would have farted in their faces then chucked olives all over then ..... finishing off with a smack in the face, knee in the nads !! can't stand them !!!!!

Von Teese
27-07-09, 09:25 AM
personally i would have farted in their faces then chucked olives all over then ..... finishing off with a smack in the face, knee in the nads !! can't stand them !!!!!

Having met you I do not doubt any of the above at all, however it may work to your disadvantage because its likely that being beaten up by such a hot chick is the stuff of dreams for them lol!

SoulKiss
27-07-09, 10:19 AM
and it shows with the slightly older generation of chavvy gobby yobs with tracky bottoms pushed in their socks....well it does round here at least.

And there was me thinking you would have been brought up to show more respect to grandparents... :)