PDA

View Full Version : James May is awesome - FACT

fizzwheel
27-07-09, 09:06 AM
I'm starting to think this guy is becoming as Legend, not in the same way as Clarkson but in a much more interesting and diverse way

He's planning on building an entire full size house from Lego

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8168892.stm

Von Teese
27-07-09, 09:10 AM
Agreed!

Saw his plasticine garden at Chelsea?...Brilliant!

Bluewolf
27-07-09, 09:12 AM

plowsie
27-07-09, 09:26 AM
Quality. Word has it, he spoke to a woman on last night's Top Gear.

Von Teese
27-07-09, 09:28 AM
Saw that, it was hilarious!

Viney
27-07-09, 09:42 AM
Him with the glamour model last night on top gear was hilarious, staged but hilarious. Lets face it, calrkson is becoming the dull on. Hammond has crashed a car at 400mph and lived, May has been to the edge of space! I like james may and his simple down to earth explinations of stuff, and what seems like genuine enthusiasm for the subjects in which he talks upon. He reminds me a bit of Johnny ball.

the_lone_wolf
27-07-09, 09:48 AM
Lets face it, calrkson is becoming the dull on. Hammond has crashed a car at 400mph and lived, May has been to the edge of space!

Clarkson's too old to do this kind of stuff now, back when he was younger he did some full on stuff...

SoulKiss
27-07-09, 09:51 AM
Him with the glamour model last night on top gear was hilarious, staged but hilarious. Lets face it, calrkson is becoming the dull on. Hammond has crashed a car at 400mph and lived, May has been to the edge of space! I like james may and his simple down to earth explinations of stuff, and what seems like genuine enthusiasm for the subjects in which he talks upon. He reminds me a bit of Johnny ball.

Johnny Ball is cooler than James May, mainlty because James May has not bought me a pint, and Johnny Ball has :)

It was a Guiness btw :)

Quiff Wichard
27-07-09, 10:00 AM
James May is very very interesting and he is a good presenter- on his own shows where he has more power.. he comes across as the poor relative on top gear and sorta bullied by Clarkson..

watch his wine show with Oz Clarke it is both funny and informative and the space ones speak for themselves

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 10:03 AM
I am a huge fan of james may. I want to grow up to be like him. Interesting only to people who actualy wish to understand something, rather than just know about it

Like that oaf Jeremy Clarkson...

(...although JC is quite funny)

Kinvig
27-07-09, 10:42 AM
He seems a bit OCD or autistic or something....!

Thingus
27-07-09, 10:48 AM
Jeremy didn't really change, he's the same ol' witty guy he has ever been, but the other two have really started coming into their own. It's a 3 man show now, woo.

I like May aswell, very smart humour that's still bloody funny, not many can do that :p

Spiderman
27-07-09, 11:13 AM
Another vote for May form me. If any of you missed it his adventures with TV's Oz Clarke first on a wine education for James and then on a beer education for Oz were also well worth watching.
And they were on Dave too, so will be repeated plenty of times i'm sure :)

gruntygiggles
27-07-09, 11:27 AM
James May is one of the few distinguished and educated presenters that has the ability to appeal to everyone through the fact that he has passion for his chosen subjects and his brilliant and subtle wit. Another of his breed is Stephen Fry. 'Tis true, top gear is a three man show now. I love JC and always will, but Hammond and May are certainly not the support presenters anymore.

That edge of space programme was amazing and as my dad will be going up to 60,000ft next year in an EE Lightning, he'll be at the edge of space too......so very interesting and no better presenter for it I don't think.

All hail James May!

dirtydog
27-07-09, 02:02 PM
Anyone read about why he got sacked from Autocar magazine??

Spiderman
27-07-09, 02:09 PM
No. Is it juicy gossipy type stuff? If so we need a link.

fizzwheel
27-07-09, 02:12 PM
Quality. Word has it, he spoke to a woman on last night's Top Gear.

*clears throat*

Some say, he talks to girls and that he runs on TV...

Richie
27-07-09, 02:21 PM
Anyone read about why he got sacked from Autocar magazine??

In an interview with Richard Allinson on BBC Radio 2, May confessed that he was fired in 1992 from Autocar magazine after putting together a hidden message in one issue. At the end of the year, the magazine's "Road Test Year Book" supplement was published. Each spread featured four reviews and each review started with a large, red letter. May's role was to put the entire supplement together, which "was extremely boring and took several months". He went on to say:

So I had this idea that if I re-edited the beginnings of all the little texts, I could make these red letters spell out a message through the magazine, which I thought was brilliant. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was to the effect that "You might think this is a really great thing, but if you were sitting here making it up you'd realise it's a real pain in the ****". It took me about two months to do it and on the day that it came out I'd actually forgotten that I'd done it because there's a bit of a gap between it being "put to bed" and coming out on the shelves. When I arrived at work that morning everybody was looking at their shoes and I was summoned to the managing director of the company's office. The thing had come out and nobody at work had spotted what I'd done because I'd made the words work around the pages so you never saw a whole word. But all the readers had seen it and they'd written in thinking they'd won a prize or a car or something.

May's original message, punctuated appropriately, reads: "So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up. It's a real pain in the ****.

I'm a James May fan, and I'm not afraid to say it so public.

Spiderman
27-07-09, 02:24 PM
hahaha, thats so not worth firing someone over is it?

Found this http://www.flickr.com/photos/8443340@N06/sets/72157600242068267

Owenski
27-07-09, 02:32 PM
Oddly enough I noticed last night that for the first time its was a 3 presentor program too! Normally its JC and his 2 buddies, (which is fair enough seen as it is JC's show it was built around him after the collapse of the original top gear).
James May was awsome last night during the challenges although I thought that might have something to do with the stunner and the elevated camera angle in his car. Od to think that the other 2 cars had dash mounted cameras ;)

Richie
27-07-09, 02:33 PM
he's a genius.

thedonal
27-07-09, 02:41 PM
In an interview with Richard Allinson on BBC Radio 2, May confessed that he was fired in 1992 from Autocar magazine after putting together a hidden message in one issue. At the end of the year, the magazine's "Road Test Year Book" supplement was published. Each spread featured four reviews and each review started with a large, red letter. May's role was to put the entire supplement together, which "was extremely boring and took several months". He went on to say:

So I had this idea that if I re-edited the beginnings of all the little texts, I could make these red letters spell out a message through the magazine, which I thought was brilliant. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it was to the effect that "You might think this is a really great thing, but if you were sitting here making it up you'd realise it's a real pain in the ****". It took me about two months to do it and on the day that it came out I'd actually forgotten that I'd done it because there's a bit of a gap between it being "put to bed" and coming out on the shelves. When I arrived at work that morning everybody was looking at their shoes and I was summoned to the managing director of the company's office. The thing had come out and nobody at work had spotted what I'd done because I'd made the words work around the pages so you never saw a whole word. But all the readers had seen it and they'd written in thinking they'd won a prize or a car or something.

May's original message, punctuated appropriately, reads: "So you think it's really good, yeah? You should try making the bloody thing up. It's a real pain in the ****.

I'm a James May fan, and I'm not afraid to say it so public.

According to an ex-employee in my office who used to work at Autocar at the same time as him, he was an arrogant stroppy git- was incredibly rude and demanding to other staff and expected to be treated preferentially and when he got news of his employment on Top Gear, demanded an inflated salary at Autocar for his notice period.

You can imagine what they said to that, can't you?

So apart from being entertaining on telly, clearly well educated and quite possibly quite intelligent too (they're not the same), he might actually be a bit of a c**k (I say might- obviously the info I've got is gossip and 3rd hand)

thulfi
27-07-09, 02:59 PM
no doubt.....he's the man..
anyone see him on fri night with jonathan ross?..when explaining things he just couldn't help going into things that seemed like great detail to most people - but to him he was prob just quickly trying to summarise things up for most the viewers - clever chap!

thedonal
27-07-09, 03:21 PM
Ah no- the real trick is explaining something complicated to someone that seems in the end clear and simple to the listener.

Anyone who knows a subject well can go off into detail about it that is baffing to the uninitiated. The really clever ones understand an outsiders lack of knowledge and can get the message across in layman's terms...

And of course, the real skill is knowing at which point the listener stops listening!

MrTom
27-07-09, 05:27 PM
JAMES MAY IS NOT AWESOME!!!! -FACT*

I am working on this TV series for him, not the lego house but another crazy idea he's had.
Our little project has gone massively over time, and probably budget too. It has cost me so much of my own money and time in what is supposed to be my last ever summer holiday having finished my masters!

James has had 4 other silly ideas too, you may have already heard about the plastacine garden, that will be in the series too.

If anyone is around liverpool on the 8th of Aug, I believe our project will be a public event that day, should be quite exciting:).

*Actually, he's not that bad, quite a nice bloke in person, just needs to stop inflicting his crazy ideas on innocent people!

custard
27-07-09, 05:39 PM
has anyone used the words pompous or fatuous yet?

the_lone_wolf
27-07-09, 05:50 PM

We discussed Clarkson back on page one...;)

custard
27-07-09, 05:51 PM
We discussed Clarkson back on page one...;)

:)

my bad, will read the rest of it.

Ploppy
27-07-09, 07:24 PM
James may is a LEG-end!. I watched the oz and may's drink to Britain which was ace :)

Long live May!

-Ralph-
27-07-09, 07:42 PM
Ah no- the real trick is explaining something complicated to someone that seems in the end clear and simple to the listener.

Anyone who knows a subject well can go off into detail about it that is baffing to the uninitiated. The really clever ones understand an outsiders lack of knowledge and can get the message across in layman's terms...

And of course, the real skill is knowing at which point the listener stops listening!

You must be an IT consultant!?

Specialone
27-07-09, 08:59 PM
Well i agree with everybody, i have always thought he was brilliant as soon as he came on telly.
The thing i liked about him is he didnt try and conform with hamster and jc, he was his own man, his own style however wierd.
He was often ridiculed by the other two and still is to a certain extent, but he does his stuff his way and dont care who disagrees.
All of his programs have been brilliant.
On tg last night, i must say the bird he was with was very appealing, nice hair lol.
You know how he was being the butt of gay jokes especially by jezza, well he's got a bird at last which was revealed a few weeks ago who i think is a balerina.

thedonal
27-07-09, 09:03 PM
You must be an IT consultant!?

No. Regulatory Affairs. Similar gubbins- just laws, not tech...

The Basket
27-07-09, 10:34 PM
James May made the Citroen Ami 8 look brilliant.

Lou M
28-07-09, 08:46 PM
You know how he was being the butt of gay jokes especially by jezza, well he's got a bird at last which was revealed a few weeks ago who i think is a balerina.

He's actually been with his partner many, many years, Sarah someone, can't remember her surname. And she's a journalist who is a ballet critic.

Just to set the record straight!!;)

Specialone
28-07-09, 09:07 PM
He's actually been with his partner many, many years, Sarah someone, can't remember her surname. And she's a journalist who is a ballet critic.

Just to set the record straight!!;)

Cool,thanks for that, i didnt know, i assumed he liked living on his own.
Why they needed to suggest he was an uphill gardener i dont know.

Red Herring
28-07-09, 09:33 PM
I'm a big fan of Top Gear and the chemistry between the presenters is part of what makes it work, but don't confuse TV with reality. I bumped into Clarksone once at the Nurburgring and again when I got into the audience on the show, and on both occasions I was left disappointed. It's far more staged than you would imagine.

Specialone
28-07-09, 09:37 PM
I'm a big fan of Top Gear and the chemistry between the presenters is part of what makes it work, but don't confuse TV with reality. I bumped into Clarksone once at the Nurburgring and again when I got into the audience on the show, and on both occasions I was left disappointed. It's far more staged than you would imagine.

I think deep down we all know this, like the other presenters dont know something thats 'revealed' on the show about a new model of car coming out or whatever.
It was probably talked about in the meeting and rehearsal beforehand.

Kinvig
28-07-09, 09:41 PM
I think deep down we all know this, like the other presenters dont know something thats 'revealed' on the show about a new model of car coming out or whatever.
It was probably talked about in the meeting and rehearsal beforehand.

I can forgive them that as that sort of banter probably happened pre-show when they were gathered round discussing the cars....but yup, it does feel really staged at times.

I *want* to believe that JM was a complete nerd in front of the glamour model co-driver, but I just can't accept it.

Specialone
28-07-09, 09:44 PM
I can forgive them that as that sort of banter probably happened pre-show when they were gathered round discussing the cars....but yup, it does feel really staged at times.

I *want* to believe that JM was a complete nerd in front of the glamour model co-driver, but I just can't accept it.

Yeah but she was nice though and i prefer brunettes normally as well lol.

ixlr8
29-07-09, 06:37 AM

Anyone used the words Asperger's yet? (odd preoccupations, socially less aware/responsive, etc)

andywilson460
02-08-09, 11:19 AM
I went along yesterday and it was great fun. Everyone was building lego blocks in shifts to make up the structure. We were lucky enough to get tickets to help out. I have posty some pictures (only iPhone quality, sorry) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9812519@N06/sets/72157621913883942/

It should be open to the public for the next 3 weeks at Denbies Vine Yard in Dorking, Surrey. They run a tour which will go past the construction site --- think it is about £4.00 for tour - might be fun for the family

MrTom
07-08-09, 09:44 PM
TOMORROW!!!

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?p=1997151#post1997151