PDA

View Full Version : Help - Car Problem

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone,

Today, when maria started her car (VW golf 1.6, Mk 4), it was accompanied by a sound like a hoover. She turned off the engine, then when she restarted it, the sound had gone away.

She;s just coming home from work, and the same thing happened - she started the car, the engine was running but there was a noise like a hoover. She turned off the car, and restarted it, the hoover noise had gone.

Can anyone advise as to what is going on?

Mr Speirs
27-07-09, 01:14 PM
Overheating? The fan coming on?

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 01:23 PM
its from cold. it does sound like a fan, but it wouldnt make that much noise

Mr Speirs
27-07-09, 01:26 PM
Just re read original post and removed silly question.

Bibio
27-07-09, 01:29 PM
yup dodgy fan switch...

start car, open bonnet and look to see if the fan is going round when you hear the noise..

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 01:35 PM
ok, we'll take a look first thing when the car starts up from cold. Odd though that it should only happen on the first cold start, and not the second

Rorshach
27-07-09, 01:50 PM
might be the starter motor sticking "in gear" , second time it starts, gears shaft runs more freely so disengages properly... and it sounds like a hover too

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 01:59 PM
really? damn, that would be an expensive fix

Owenski
27-07-09, 02:03 PM
the cooling fan can be quite loud sometimes especially from the outside of the car.

+1 to what Bibo said

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 02:05 PM
it only happens from a cold start; when the car is switched off, then on, the problem goes though...

its very odd :( both my bike and maria;s car have got swine flu i think

suzsv650
27-07-09, 02:13 PM
might be the starter motor sticking "in gear" , second time it starts, gears shaft runs more freely so disengages properly... and it sounds like a hover too

I got this on the old dear's Meganne. Can i just swap out the starter motor? Or clean and Regrease?

Rorshach
27-07-09, 02:56 PM
may not be an expensive fix fella....have a buchers at a haines manual, they do reconditioned ones, and could be as simple as a couple of bolts and wires

its just like on a bike ...but bigger. confirm thats the problem first though

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 02:57 PM
will do, and will update this thread just incase someone else has a similar car problem, in which case we can all direct that person here

.org, fountain of knowledge

Rorshach
27-07-09, 03:06 PM
no probs....might just need hitting with a big hammer! ;)

the biggest problem is usually getting to the fecking thing!

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 06:03 PM

the biggest problem is usually getting to the fecking thing!

it might be a Dad Job :lol:

Spiderman
27-07-09, 06:06 PM

My car was making some funny noises one dayas our beat bobby was walking past he stopped to see what i was doing. Answer was scratching my head and wondering what the hell i could do to fix the noise.
he got his truncheon out and reched into engine bay and gave somethng a smack. Noise stopped. He explained it was the started motor and if i heard it do it again i must hit it hard just about there and it'll be fine.

Sometimes hitting thins is really the only sensible option :lol:

Alpinestarhero
27-07-09, 06:16 PM
My car was making some funny noises one dayas our beat bobby was walking past he stopped to see what i was doing. Answer was scratching my head and wondering what the hell i could do to fix the noise.
he got his truncheon out and reched into engine bay and gave somethng a smack. Noise stopped. He explained it was the started motor and if i heard it do it again i must hit it hard just about there and it'll be fine.

Sometimes hitting thins is really the only sensible option :lol:

Starter solenoids, starter motors...they all seem to behave like 5 year olds. If they play up, give 'em a wack it would seem :lol:

Spiderman
27-07-09, 06:19 PM
yeh but giving your engine parts a well deserved backhander wont have your neighbours ringing the cops. Give a 5 yr old the same treatment and you'd be suprised at just how many cops show up. I know i was.

Rorshach
27-07-09, 09:11 PM
i used to have a number of "persuaders" for these sorts of jobs