BanannaMan
28-07-09, 04:59 AM
No right or wrong answers here..
Just curious as to what others do...

So How do turn your bike off???

(I use the key)

xXBADGERXx
28-07-09, 05:21 AM
Key only . I used to use the Killswitch and the key , but for some reason my bike instructor on my DAS told me off for using kill switch and gave me a valid reason for it (which I have forgotten since) and have used key only since then .

Richie
28-07-09, 05:27 AM
key from now on....

Aparently the kill switch on the Aprilia RST is a week point, So I was told.

on the SV I used the kill switch and Key. only because of the alarm would set after 30 seconds and I was still mucking about with other things, ie getting helmet & gloves off.

BanannaMan
28-07-09, 05:36 AM
I have a mate who is so emphatic about using the killswitch, everytime we go on a rideout, I know before the day is over he will sneak over to my (parked) bike and turn the killswitch off . :rolleyes:

glsuk1970
28-07-09, 06:00 AM
Key only . I used to use the Killswitch and the key , but for some reason my bike instructor on my DAS told me off for using kill switch and gave me a valid reason for it (which I have forgotten since) and have used key only since then .

Mine did exactly the same but didn't give a reason and I had far too much already going on in my tiny brain, I didn't have enough remaining capacity to ask him why.

I use the key but as a gross act of defiance towards my instructor, I might start using the kill-switch. That'll learn 'im.

Bri w
28-07-09, 06:35 AM
If you use the kill switch you may leave the key in the ignition and walk away.

I switch off with the key, and take it out at the same time - Pavlov's dog.

Personal choice i guess

STRAMASHER
28-07-09, 06:55 AM
Key.

But i'll use the killswitch with it still in gear if I'm parking it on a slope or dodgy ground.

Thankfully I have never stopped it by riding into another vehicle although THEY have used ME to slow down/stop on numerous occassions!

Last time was waiting for a ferry, when some Dutch dude rammed us. Kept it upright and was undamaged.

My topbox and rack scored and dented the bonnet (hood;)) on his new Vectra (small compact saloon;) ). Result.

Servo brakes and idiots don't mix!

keithd
28-07-09, 07:20 AM
always with the key

Alpinestarhero
28-07-09, 07:26 AM
Key, the killswitch is there for an emergency, hence kill-switch, where as the ignition has an "on" and an "off"

also, it reminds me to grab my key :D

Alpinestarhero
28-07-09, 07:27 AM
btw, LOL at crashing it into a tree or nearby building :D

works if you crash into a car too

Viney
28-07-09, 07:30 AM
Crashing into a tree or building if find usualy works. In the falire of that, and there are no trees or random buildings around i use the kill switch to stop my bike then off witht he key. Always have and always will. It annoys the hell out of Verna when i use her bike, she sits there for miutes trying to work out why her bike wont start! Ooops, sorry :)

lukemillar
28-07-09, 07:38 AM
Key, the killswitch is there for an emergency, hence kill-switch, where as the ignition has an "on" and an "off"

Not necessarily. My Gas Gas owners book says to turn the engine off with the kill button (there is no switch) NOT the key as it can damage the ECU. NB this is bike specific as Daytona 675's had recall for a fuel pump realy that could fry your ECU IF you turned the engine off using the kill switch!

So, in summary - Do what your owners book says :)

keith_d
28-07-09, 07:41 AM
I usually use the key, but I had to select the keith_d option after putting the bike in gear with the stand down on Friday.

Keith.

Messie
28-07-09, 07:48 AM
I always use the key to turn it off. Why not?

It's others at traffic lights who use the kill switch to turn it off for me. I guess they want to help me save fuel.

hovis
28-07-09, 08:14 AM
you missed

stall in first gear, which is mostly do, or the key,

Jdubya
28-07-09, 08:18 AM
Sidestand, then key...

Just kidding. Always key.

Quedos
28-07-09, 08:19 AM
Key - i forget my key otherwise
killswitch is only there to aid pratical jokes at red lights (mr CC)

Owenski
28-07-09, 08:25 AM
Always with the key,
leaving the key in the ignition I never do but at least a couple of times a month my bike sits out side work with the key in the seat lock.

simesb
28-07-09, 08:37 AM
I always use the kill switch - just force of habit. Never left keys in bike either - touch wood. In fact, I always put the key in the bike when I working around it so I always know where it is.

Ed
28-07-09, 08:48 AM
sidestand in gear

Paul the 6th
28-07-09, 08:54 AM
I always use the kill switch - just force of habit. Never left keys in bike either - touch wood. In fact, I always put the key in the bike when I working around it so I always know where it is.

same here, when I was doing my DAS, the instructors put alot of emphasis about being in control of the bike whether you were sat on it or pushing it around, so before you even swing your leg over you should get hold of the front brake lever etc... I usually leave the bike in gear as a kind of handbrake (even if I'm on flat ground) and the alarm arms after 30 seconds, so the kill switch serves both purposes... The other option would be to turn the key off and then back on again until I've finished messing around but the FI would prime.

So kill switch it is :) oh and I've never left my keys in the ignition :razz:

Graciepants
28-07-09, 09:13 AM
i always use the key - unless i cant find neutral, then i get lazy and use the sidestand lol

i've left my keys once - but others have left my bike 3 times with the keys in the ignition when working on it, but thats still my fault, even if i asked if he's left the keys there and he says no!

Quiff Wichard
28-07-09, 09:22 AM
if I riding alone.. which now is NEVER .. KEY
but with mandy on pillion I need stability of bike and both hands on bars so in gear and side stand.. then she gets off..
then I find neutral .. green light comes on reminds me keys are in
keys off and on my lanyard..

dont leave my keys in..

but then my OCD helps with that. cos I check 40 times before leaving the bike..

Jayneflakes
28-07-09, 09:56 AM
I find with my little Henry the Honda, he quite often turns himself off. :(

He does this when I pull away from lights and sometimes even on roundabouts. #-o

There is a funny turny knob under the fuel tank that has a rubber hose that goes to this thing bolted on to the side of the engine and if I turn that knob to the down position, Henry works again! Miraculous. :D

:smt003 I feel like a right dip stick when it cuts out in traffic because I forgot to turn the fuel on!:smt110

dizzyblonde
28-07-09, 10:23 AM
At my parents, sidestand in first, steeeeep hill. Normally key, but after nightshift, kill switch, so not to disturb neighbours. Trying to negotiate gates at 6am needs both hands, so thumb on killswitch.

TC3
28-07-09, 11:37 AM
side stand in gear

PsychoCannon
28-07-09, 11:38 AM
Key always, I was taught the same that killswitches can fail when used regularly and if they fail "on" then :)

With the new bike I'm regularly and unintentionally using 1st gear to switch it off as it's taking some getting used to lol.
The side stand is also another favourite.

I try not to use other cars, done that a few times and it's very effective but not so easy to pull away again after once you've seen to your business =p/

Spiderman
28-07-09, 11:46 AM
Depends really but its hardly ever with the key.

if i can pull up somewhere that i can then ride off from again, ie the pavement bit outside my local supermarket, then its sidetand down while in gear and clutch in as i roll to a stop and just step off and grab the keys.
If i have to faff about and turn it round to park it with back wheel to kerb then its killswitch.
No idea why i dont use the key tbh, I just dont.

custard
28-07-09, 11:53 AM
in gear, sidestand. means the lights stay on so you can find the padlock on the garage.

xXBADGERXx
28-07-09, 05:35 PM
Keys are in the lead with a 45/3 average of other options .
2 x Keith_d`s ................. does that mean they leave the bike running til they wake up or the Petroleum puffs out ?

-Ralph-
28-07-09, 05:41 PM
Kill switch, it's a (very) old habit from riding off road bikes with no key...

Speedy Claire uses her kill switch :smt077

Shellywoozle
28-07-09, 07:01 PM
Side stand in gear, then I take key out. Lazyness I suppose.... stemmed for lack of confidence and not reaching ground. Got me stability as quickly as I could then turned the thing off LOL

Dave20046
28-07-09, 07:42 PM
Killswitch usually (more so ont curvy) or a combo as I leave the killswitch in the off position when I'm leaving hte bike for some time. For two reasons, may confuse a brainless **** that tries to nick it and (this i probably more superstition) I've been caught out by a drained batter before and benelli reccomend leaving the killswitch off on their bikes to minimise risk of the battery draining so couldn't see any harm in applying it to the sv

Thingus
28-07-09, 08:09 PM
I use the key every time, i know i'd forget it if i use anything else. If i'm at the house i'll leave it in neutral but i'm out and about i'll whack it in gear after i've turned it off.

The only time i leave the key in is when i forget to take it out of the underseat lock thing. 3 times i've done that now in public.

Dave20046
28-07-09, 08:10 PM
The only time i leave the key in is when i forget to take it out of the underseat lock thing. 3 times i've done that now in public.
I've done that so many times it's unbelievable