PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Mod 2 2moz. No lessons. Advice?

Noble Ox
28-07-09, 08:45 PM
Apart from the obvious... go cry in the corner and get some lessons you silly tw*t!

Passed Mod 1 yesterday. Was planning on booking some lessons and then Mod 2 in about 3 weeks after my Hols, but a space came up and I need to pass for work in Sept.

So I need all the advice and luck in the world!!

Recently passed driving test which should help.
Just confused about life savers and where to look.

Is this correct?

Turning right:
Both mirrors (obvious head movement)
Right life saver.
Right indicator.
Right life saver before changing direction.

Same for left.

Im unsure about when moving from stopped... is it both shoulders or just RHLS? and when stopping/slowing do I life save?!

Also I want to go straight ahead at roundabout so I dont indicate when approaching junction. Where do I look before I stop at the junction?

Parked cars/cyclists - do I indicate to pass them?

Appriciate any usefull input :) and Il be saving lots of lives tomorrow!!! (life savers! ...No?!... Ok, my head is hanging in shame)

Thanks, Aran

the_runt69
28-07-09, 08:57 PM
Life savers should be done before any manoever, they should be to the side that the obvious danger will be. Before moving off hould be done more to the right than the left unless your turning left at a set of lights.

chompy
28-07-09, 09:02 PM
when moving from the lights check both. when you go straight at a round about dont forget to left life save before you come off

qwerf
28-07-09, 09:03 PM
Yeah, always do life savers before you change your position on the road! Remember to frequently check your mirrors also.

For moving off, id do both...better to be safe than sorry! When i did mine a week back i just checked over both.

cF^
28-07-09, 09:04 PM
I recently passed and IF i remember correctly.....

Right Turn (major to minor)-
Mirror checks
Signal
Manouver to the right so cars can pass on the left
Life Saver
Goferit

on a minor to major you keep a central position in the road.

Left is much the same but the missing the life saver is less likely to fail you straight away.

Moving off and stopping is just common sense, if you've got traffic both sides, a bike lane or stopped at lights, do both sides, if you're moving from the side of the road I tend to look up and down the road, as theres nothing coming from yer left side.

At the roundabout do you mean where do look before coming OFF the roundabout, if so, it's always your open side. It depends on how many lanes there are, if its spiraling, etc. Basically if there's a kerb to one side of you, it doesn't need to be checked.
If I was going straight over a 2 lane roundabout I'd approach in the left lane, cross over and check my right shoulder as I came off.

No need to indicate to pass parked cars or cyclists, just shoulder check before moving out and before moving back in.

Hope that helps, and hope none of that's incorrect. I only passed a couple of months back so it's all fairly fresh in my brain :) It's all fairly common sense. Good luck!

Specialone
28-07-09, 09:28 PM
I recently passed and IF i remember correctly...

At the roundabout do you mean where do look before coming OFF the roundabout, if so, it's always your open side. It depends on how many lanes there are, if its spiraling, etc. Basically if there's a kerb to one side of you, it doesn't need to be checked.
If I was going straight over a 2 lane roundabout I'd approach in the left lane, cross over and check my right shoulder as I came off.

Hope that helps, and hope none of that's incorrect. I only passed a couple of months back so it's all fairly fresh in my brain :) It's all fairly common sense. Good luck!

I was taught to life save left shoulder on exiting some roundabouts as well for cyclists etc on my inside.
I always thought that was crap as you would generally be looking in that direction anyway and should be able to see before you exit.

cF^
28-07-09, 09:35 PM
I'd life saver left if I was turning right at the roundabout as that would be my open side as I crossed to the exit.
I do distinctly remember one of my instructors deliberately trying to show us how 'looking at the gutter' looked ridiculous when coming off roundabouts. Guess it's not a major issue :)

keith_d
28-07-09, 09:51 PM
From memory...

Check mirrors
Right indicator
Lifesaver before changing position
Move to the centre of the road
(stop if necessary)
Lifesaver before turning
Turn
Cancel indicator (trust me you can fail for leaving them on...)

Keith.

keith_d
28-07-09, 09:55 PM
Or in real terms...

Check mirrors
Right indicator
Check for ped-boys trying to sneak past
Block 'em by taking the centre of the road
Stop
Check again and wait 'til they're on the other side of the road trying to pass
Turn in front of 'em and leave them stranded facing an oncoming truck
Cancel indicator

:-)

Noble Ox
29-07-09, 01:38 PM
Thanks all for your help.... it worked!!! :D so chuffed!

Passed with 6 minors!

Bring on the SV :p

RichT
29-07-09, 01:41 PM
Well done that man.

_Stretchie_
29-07-09, 02:05 PM
Well done mate

ArtyLady
29-07-09, 02:17 PM
WEll done!! :D did you have any lessons at all?

Noble Ox
29-07-09, 02:20 PM
:) Thanks guys.

Non at all - Got insured on m8s 125 (£20 a month) watched a video on youtube and asked for the orgs advice. Was calm not nurvous as I had nothing to loose.

ArtyLady
29-07-09, 02:21 PM
I'm impressed! :notworthy: :cool: :D

custard
29-07-09, 02:29 PM
run that up my flag pole and salute it.

good work fella!

cF^
29-07-09, 04:19 PM
Nicely done, enjoy the new lifestyle :)

SVStorm
29-07-09, 06:04 PM
Congrats!! Not an easy task to pass without lessons :) You must be a natural

Specialone
29-07-09, 07:01 PM

Passed with 6 minors!

Well done, i couldnt have done it without no tuition.
Phil

Bluefish
29-07-09, 07:14 PM
well done vr. ;)

the_runt69
29-07-09, 08:17 PM
Congrats

Alpinestarhero
30-07-09, 09:04 AM

Passed with 6 minors!

Jammy git!! congratualtions :D

Ed
30-07-09, 10:05 AM
Well done you:D

Is there not something SERIOUSLY wrong with the system - passing with no lessons - you can now ride anything - with NO lessons?

Ox - I mean this kindly, FFS go get some proper training before you become a statistic.

Alpinestarhero
30-07-09, 10:14 AM
yea, good call - get some lessons. Passing a test does not make you a safe rider :) be carefull out there and use common sense (btw, im not saying your unsafe, but be realistic about the situation)

Noble Ox
30-07-09, 10:27 AM
Fair point - but lessons only teach you to pass your test. Experience is the key!

Ed
30-07-09, 10:57 AM
Fair point - but lessons only teach you to pass your test. Experience is the key!

Ox me duck, with respect you've had no training and you didn't know when to do a lifesaver until the other day when someone on here told you.

I'm not saying go do a Direct Access course - there is obviously no point - but I am saying go somewhere where they can observe your riding and devise a programme to address specific weaknesses. Don't say you haven't got any, because we all have them.

Miss Alpinestarhero
30-07-09, 01:25 PM
Id say well done but from the questions you asked I think you should seriously look into getting some lessons so that you're a safer rider (for yourself and others around you).

And IMO, lesson's dont just teach you how to pass. They teach you how to be a safe rider and use the road around you properly. A good example of where a lesson would have helped you is clearly shown in your question of "what do I do when I want to go straight at a roundabout"

Im not being intentionally rude because not everyone can pass with no lessons (including me).

ArtyLady
30-07-09, 01:28 PM
I think it proves my theory that passing a test is a pointless excercise - training and assessment is the key to safer riders :cool:

Alpinestarhero
30-07-09, 01:35 PM
Id say well done but from the questions you asked I think you should seriously look into getting some lessons so that you're a safer rider (for yourself and others around you).

And IMO, lesson's dont just teach you how to pass. They teach you how to be a safe rider and use the road around you properly. A good example of where a lesson would have helped you is clearly shown in your question of "what do I do when I want to go straight at a roundabout"

Im not being intentionally rude because not everyone can pass with no lessons (including me).

Ohhh going straigh on at a roundabout, how many people dont know the actualy highway code rules for that!

JediGoat
30-07-09, 01:51 PM
Congratulations, but if the irony hasn't slapped you in the face yet...let me point it out to you.

You do not know when to use a lifesaver? Amazing as this may sound, there is a reason it's called a 'Lifesaver' and not a 'CuddlyBunny'.

Please, go get some training, do bikesafe, anything.

Congrats again though ;)

Jo

Alpinestarhero
30-07-09, 02:22 PM
hmm, i like the term cuddly bunny better

Sally
30-07-09, 02:46 PM
If you're looking for something not very expensive, try doing a ERS course.
Enhanced Rider Scheme.
It's only a hour out with a instructor, he/she gives you a assessed ride, and if he/she deems you to be up to standard, he/she passes you, and it offers insurance discounts, 10-15%.
If he/she feels you need to work on an area, you just do another hour.
Theres no better thing than getting miles under you're belt, and FFS ride for you'reself, don't try playing keep up with more experienced riders. Statistic time.

Well done, without lessons I am well impressed.
Congrats mate, and keep it shiney side up. :)

Noble Ox
30-07-09, 03:51 PM
Ox me duck, with respect you've had no training and you didn't know when to do a lifesaver until the other day when someone on here told you.

I'm not saying go do a Direct Access course - there is obviously no point - but I am saying go somewhere where they can observe your riding and devise a programme to address specific weaknesses. Don't say you haven't got any, because we all have them.
I didnt disagree, jeeeeeeez!

And I was just making sure I passed the test!! I know perfectly well how to use a blinking round about (ive passed 2 theorys and 2 tests within a few months so... im obvoiusly doing at least SOMETHING right!!) Iv been riding safely for 2 years, but if what I usually do on the road is not exactly the correct procedure then I've failed!!

I was just a little confused because different people tell you different things!

This post doesnt have the title... 'Ive never riden a bike before teach me as my test is tomorrow' It was mearly asking advice on how to pass Mod 2... and not being rude, yes im gratefull for the advice, but a few posts on here wasnt the reason I passed. Give me some credit!!

But thanks for the praise - Im real chuffed!!! :)

Ed
30-07-09, 04:27 PM
:silent: