PDA

View Full Version : Wooton Bassett - respect

appollo1
28-07-09, 09:25 PM
Just watching the news at 10 and the story of the latest troops that were killed being repatriated to the UK.

I know from the news there is always a good turnout by the residents in WB but this is the first time I have seen a news report on the matter lasting more than 45 seconds. I am amazed and got quite choked up when I just saw this report. The silence in the crowd lining the street was absolutley astounding.

Wooton Bassett I salute you.

In a difficult and emotional time for the friends and families the respect shown is amazing.

RIP fallen comrades.

stewie
28-07-09, 09:28 PM
Im always heartened by the large number of mp,s that turn up to show their respects.

Ian P
28-07-09, 09:32 PM
Hats off to the residents of Wooten Bassett, lets just hope and pray no more of our troops will come home too this.
God bless all brothers in arms

Specialone
28-07-09, 09:34 PM
Just watching the news at 10 and the story of the latest troops that were killed being repatriated to the UK.

I know from the news there is always a good turnout by the residents in WB but this is the first time I have seen a news report on the matter lasting more than 45 seconds. I am amazed and got quite choked up when I just saw this report. The silence in the crowd lining the street was absolutley astounding.

Wooton Bassett I salute you.

In a difficult and emotional time for the friends and families the respect shown is amazing.

RIP fallen comrades.

+1 they are a top village / town, i wish other towns had the same community spirit.
Although coleshill, just outside brum, near me had lost one of their residents in afganistan a while back, his funeral procession came through the high street and there was a big turnout.
So fair play to them as well.
Phil

appollo1
28-07-09, 09:38 PM
unfortunately Wooton Basset is the first village that the hearses have to travel through from RAF Lyneham.

It's nice to see some true respect, as Stewie says , where are the politicians to show their respect to the fallen - oh yeah they are now on holiday til October working out what they can claim for while away.

stewie
28-07-09, 09:39 PM
Hats off to em though, I watched it on sky news the other week when the 8 lads came home on the same day, very humbling.

Geoffrey
29-07-09, 07:14 AM
Hats off to the residents of Wooten Bassett
+1

the only problem now is the police are concerned as the gathering is turning more into a "i'm om tv" moment more than a passing of respect.

Baldyman
29-07-09, 05:15 PM
For those who don't know the British Legion is not only represented by local branches at these repatriations in Wootton Bassett, but also by the relatively new (nearly 5 years now) riders branch (RBLR) which is national and although mainly made up of ex and serving service personnel, it also welcomes civvy bike riders as members who also wish to support fund raising activities for our Armed Forces whether past or present.
We attend rallies, shows (and unfortunately repatriations at Wootton Bassett) where our bikes are slowly changing people's attitude to both the Legion and bikers in general and attracting younger supporters to a very worthwhile cause.
See here for more info http://www.rblr.co.uk/content/ (http://www.rblr.co.uk/content/)
http://www.rblr.co.uk/content/images/poppy_wristbands.jpg
"Lest we forget" wristbands are available at £1.80 each plus p+p, please support us.

Thanks for reading this far..........
"If you can read this, thank a teacher and the fact that it's in English then thank a soldier"

Regards
Leigh

Foxy
29-07-09, 05:50 PM
After the 8 soldiers were driven through Wootton Bassett they drove through Shrivenham passing the Defence Academy where everyone, including me, was out in force, some in full dress to salute and pay respect to our fallen heroes.

Sean_C
29-07-09, 06:09 PM
My girlfriend's grandpa and his British Legion branch also pay their respects. They're from Faringdon and I think they go to a lay by on the A420 to salute them as they drive past.