PDA

View Full Version : Self-employed & paying tax? Don't forget!

Cazza
28-07-09, 09:48 PM
Agh! I've just realised that the lovely people at HMR&C require a 'payment on account' by this Friday 31st July.

Don't forget if you need to do this too!

Specialone
28-07-09, 09:49 PM
Agh! I've just realised that the lovely people at HMR&C require a 'payment on account' by this Friday 31st July.

Don't forget if you need to do this too!

Paid mine last week, sad times:(

Mr Speirs
28-07-09, 09:59 PM
Paid mine last month. Barstewards.

keith_d
28-07-09, 10:00 PM
Yup - but don't worry, Gordon's already spent it before you write the cheque.

stewie
29-07-09, 09:26 AM
Heres a question some of you might be able to answer, I have a full time job, I work 4 on 4 off perm nights, on my 4 days off I want to do some work for myself, at what point do I need to notify the tax people ? in other words is there a limit to what you can earn before you have to pay tax on your secondary income ? bearing in mind its just a bit of casual and may not lead to anything special
Thanks
Stew

SoulKiss
29-07-09, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=stewie;1987159]Heres a question some of you might be able to answer, I have a full time job, I work 4 on 4 off perm nights, on my 4 days off I want to do some work for myself, at what point do I need to notify the tax people ? in other words is there a limit to what you can earn before you have to pay tax on your secondary income ? bearing in mind its just a bit of casual and may not lead to anything special
Thanks
Stew[/QUOTE

From the very beginning.

You dont get a second allowance for a second job - your income, no matter from how many sources, is still your income.

You will also need to inform your permanent employer I believe.

stewie
29-07-09, 09:54 AM
Well thats a non starter telling my firm, they will say it contravenes my working time directive and could put there operators license at risk,standard answer Im afraid, thanks anyway David :D

SoulKiss
29-07-09, 10:01 AM
Well thats a non starter telling my firm, they will say it contravenes my working time directive and could put there operators license at risk,standard answer Im afraid, thanks anyway David :D

I dont think the law says you need to tell them, but there is probably something in your contract.

Sudoxe
29-07-09, 11:09 AM

You don't have to tell them, you do tell the inland revenue who will adjust your tax code, or give you a self cert form for you tax at the end of the year.

Dan