PDA

View Full Version : Today I have mostly been...

Ed
15-12-09, 09:27 PM
...on a tour of the Triumph factory at Hinckley:smt041

Went with a bunch of peeps from the 675 site.

The derision I had to endure in the office, because I was going on the bike and it was cold and raining:roll: Including from the fairest of fairweather bikers, who shall remain unidentified:D 's obvious innit - visit a Triumph motorcycle factory, turn up on a Triumph motorcycle.

Met Andy S (from the 675 site) at J1 M54, onto the M6 - 50 limit and specs cameras but they were backward facing;) but lanes so narrow that we couldna get past. Like that to Wolverhampton, then heavy traffic to just past the M42, next 15/20 miles to the M69 well we had to filter for England. First time I've done it on a motorway.

Got there just in time. Went into their video room for a short vid about Triumph history, then onto the factory floor with ear defenders with radio receiver so we could hear Steven, our guide. First impression - it's so clean that you could eat your dinner off of the floor. I mean, spotless. No oily rags, no piles of empty boxes, no junk, everything has its place.

Started in the machine shop, where they machine odd looking lumps of metal into precision engine components, and then powder coat them. It's really awesome, all these high tech machine tools. Fantastic results - they have some on display, a typical unmachined camshaft that vaguely might be something, and the intermediate stges, and then the finished product complete with oil holes and everything:cool: The factory output is limited by what they can machine. The shop is working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Machining engine bits doesn't sound that exciting, but the transformation is amazing:cool: and then they quality check them with laser guides, and anything less than perfect goes in the reject pile.

And then we went into the production area. This is just fantastic, forkies bring the machined parts from the machine shop into the production line. They have two engine lines. Why only two? It's because they use sequential production, ie they manufacture different engines in sequence on the same line. So we saw Thunderbird, Rocket, Striple and 1050 engines being assembled, all on the same line. Watching the technicians building these was fantastic. And then the engines go into the frames, and bit by bit all the parts are added on, until it finishes in the dyno area where they do a short test of the bike. Guide Steven told us everything that was going on, I didn't want it to end.

They had thousands of bikes in boxes on pallets, stacked 7 high - they are gearing up for spring sales. The factory was very busy, no sign of Triumph bikles not selling. Steven put this down to Triumph building excellent quality bikes (I have to agree:D) with targeted products (twins and triples) and top notch marketing.

What a fantastic afternoon. It costs £10, you have to book ages in advance. It's well worth it:thumbsup: I wish we could have seen the R&D department!!!

Cold and miserable ride home on the A5 from Hinckley but I'm so on a high from the factory that I've all but forgotten that my fingies near fell off;)

phil24_7
15-12-09, 10:54 PM
Sounds like fun, glad you enjoyed your day.

DarrenSV650S
15-12-09, 10:57 PM
All that writing and no pics???

Fizzy Fish
15-12-09, 11:23 PM
sounds like a good trip Ed, must go myself at some point

Oh and +1 for the pics!

Iansv II
15-12-09, 11:24 PM
From all accounts Triumph had a great year, Last time I visited a dealer they were ordering bikes for people with a lead time of Feb/Mar 2010 for stock... Would love to visit the factory one day

Spokey
15-12-09, 11:43 PM
sounds like a good trip Ed, must go myself at some point

Oh and +1 for the pics!

see here for some pics ... they don't allow camera's in the factory though ...

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=120739&highlight=spokey&page=2

when I went anyway

Spokey

skeetly
16-12-09, 12:02 AM
£10

/Books

-Ralph-
16-12-09, 12:44 AM
Did the same a few weeks ago, Triumph are a customer of mine. Who showed you round? It's the fact that they produce all the bikes on the same line that amazed me too.

squirrel_hunter
16-12-09, 01:05 AM
Do they give away free samples at the end?

Richie
16-12-09, 06:09 AM
I tried to book a tour around there a couple of years back, As my dad organized the Furness Classic bike lot trip round there, But they only do tours for potential buying customers and not a load of Army mechanics...

Arr well.
Glad you had a good time Ed.

Any photos?

rictus01
16-12-09, 06:34 AM
I tried to book a tour around there a couple of years back, As my dad organized the Furness Classic bike lot trip round there, But they only do tours for potential buying customers and not a load of Army mechanics...

Arr well.

Any photos?

Not actually true as the RAT clubs organise trips, so former buyers to, although my first vist was on the bike as it should be, last time they wouldn't allow it and everyone had to get on a coach from the dealers, apparently the factory weren't allowing bike groups at the time, mind you that was a few years ago.

Cheers Mark.

Ed
16-12-09, 10:21 AM
I have a few pics, I haven't downloaded them yet as that was a step too far - I was just too spent last night. I'll do it this evening. But they don't allow cameras in the factory so there are no pics of inside. Shame, as the production methods are really interesting, and the machine shop is impressive.

Guide was Steven Hacklett. Top bloke, highly enthusiastic. It was a shame that they don't sell a wider range of stuff at the factory, the choices were a mug, a T shirt or a patch for a jacket. There's a mock up dealership and they don't mind you climbing over the bikes, but you can't buy any of the kit on display. Just as well!!! So I came home with just a freebie Triumph baseball cap.

squirrel_hunter
16-12-09, 10:36 AM
So I came home with just a freebie Triumph baseball cap.

Not exactly the freebie I would have wanted, but it sound like a good day out. How does one book?

Ed
16-12-09, 10:41 AM
Not exactly the freebie I would have wanted, but it sound like a good day out. How does one book?

No and yes.

Here:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/Factory_Tours_2010.aspx

Quedos
16-12-09, 11:00 AM
went a couple of years ago and it was fantatsic would go again (only becuse the dealer that was there was a complete idiot) but we also got the westfield tours in the same week and that was amazing - IP was out on a test drive

The bets however had to be the orange(F1) factory tour and that was just amazing - shame they went defunct

Glad you enjoyed it Ed

Quiff Wichard
16-12-09, 11:36 AM
would be interesting that ...

I had a tour of the Bentley factory here in Crewe a few years back.. very interesting..

I used to do corporate jobs at a Big hotel just off the roundabout in Hinckley- they have a triumph full bike on the wall behind the bar there.. I posted a pic of it on here once.

punyXpress
16-12-09, 10:05 PM

Arr well.

Any photos?
Richie!
Will headsup if going again
BTW They don't do sales so dealers get the deals. Sounds fair to me but a 8ummer if you want something there & then.

Ed
16-12-09, 11:09 PM
This here is Mecca (well, it's east from me!!):

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/Sythree/DSC00002.jpg

and this here is the 675 crew I went with. You won't know any of them 'cept me:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/Sythree/DSC00006.jpg

BanannaMan
17-12-09, 03:28 AM
Today I have mostly been... a lucky git!

Sounds like you had a great time! :cool:

Richie
17-12-09, 03:27 PM
ignor this...

Richie
17-12-09, 03:30 PM
Today, I have mostly been hoovering then scrubbing and then Washing my carpet.
As the in-laws are coming for Christmas... I had my orders from the Sergant Major ( she who must be obayed..! :smurfin: ) Job done to her satisfaction... next on the list is wash the sofa and two chairs....:-s
Now how do I do that..?

Quedos
17-12-09, 03:53 PM
Today i have been mostly screwed over

Amanda
17-12-09, 04:01 PM

HAHAHAHA - So didn't read the last word in the sentence!!!!!

Biker Biggles
17-12-09, 06:00 PM

Over what?:p
Any pics?:thumbsup:

Sally
17-12-09, 07:41 PM
Today I have been hungover/possibly drunk.

Quedos
18-12-09, 10:57 AM
Over what?:p
Any pics?:thumbsup:

no pics

but everything!!!:smt030