PDA

View Full Version : It's snowing!!!

Pages : [1] 2

N8te rider
16-12-09, 11:26 AM
in central london anyway! :smt041

Spiderman
16-12-09, 11:31 AM
and here in NW2 too, has been for a while now on and off. Looks so pretty but means i aint going out nowhere today, lol.

Owenski
16-12-09, 11:37 AM
is it the "ahhhhhh pretty snowy white blanket" or the "white in the sky wet on the ground"?

maviczap
16-12-09, 11:47 AM
And in Sunny Suffolk, well snowy suffolk. Youngest daughter V Happy:smurfin:

Its too cold for me to venture out :nomore:

PsychoCannon
16-12-09, 11:52 AM
Yup EC3V Central london - Snow outside my window, the light stuff that won't even settle but will mean almost certain icy spots once the sun goes down for my trip home :rolleyes:

JediGoat
16-12-09, 11:58 AM
I decided to come to work by car today (which means having to come in an hour late). Then told myself not to be a total wuss since it was not even snowing. I put all my thermals on and jumped on the bike, and it hasn't stopped snowing since :rolleyes:

It's varying from tiny 'magic dust' style snow to great big fat flakes here in N6.

the light stuff that won't even settle but will mean almost certain icy spots once the sun goes down for my trip home :rolleyes:

If the ground stays damp, I'll be heading home early (before the sun goes down at least) to avoid the worst of it.

Quedos
16-12-09, 12:00 PM
its just grey and boring here! (no surprise then) but it was snowing here on the 1st

Fizzy Fish
16-12-09, 12:18 PM
I already asked if I could go home because of the snow, but they said no! :rolleyes:

N8te rider
16-12-09, 12:19 PM
Nice, it's stopped snowing just in time for lunch :-)

PsychoCannon
16-12-09, 12:24 PM
Yup stopped here but still dark and grey which means the ground will be loosing what little heat it had rapidly and garuntee freezing whatever's settled on the tarmac so anyone that can should get home in daylight today :).

*read an interesting article about air temp last night and how the ground, not the sun, heats the air during the day, and then cools it at night so it's colder at night on the ground than at shoulder height!*

Grinch
16-12-09, 12:37 PM
Yep seen some at the Bank area.

Sir Trev
16-12-09, 12:49 PM
*read an interesting article about air temp last night and how the ground, not the sun, heats the air during the day, and then cools it at night so it's colder at night on the ground than at shoulder height!*

That's why the liars (sorry weather forecasters) talk about ground frost and air frost.

Gentle/pathetic lightweight stuff in Uxbridge at present. I can't go home until about 5 tonight as I have to wait for my US-based colleagues to wake up for a planning meeting. Good job my car has heated seats and a heated windscreen!

LK-SV
16-12-09, 12:58 PM
Throwing it down here ........ just ordered my heated gloves !!!! lol.

Heated jacket liner might follow if they prove good ......

mister c
16-12-09, 01:10 PM
Sun is shining here in Whitchurch, not a sign of any precipitation :)

metalangel
16-12-09, 01:11 PM
Nothing in Cardiff yet. I hope it stays that way.

Owenski
16-12-09, 01:12 PM
Sun is shining here in Whitchurch, not a sign of any precipitation :)

+1 for Leeds, although it was raining a little while ago.

ophic
16-12-09, 01:27 PM
+1 for Leeds, although it was raining a little while ago.
you must have posted that during the only 30 secs of sunshine the whole day

thedonal
16-12-09, 01:29 PM
Nice coat of white stuff (snow!) in the park outside the office here in sunny Waheybridge.

Riding to a hospital appt this arvo- should be interesting. At least traffic will keep the roads OK- it's just the idiots in their cars that I'll be watching for.

Owenski
16-12-09, 01:38 PM
you must have posted that during the only 30 secs of sunshine the whole day

Lol,
As I look out the only window in view which I can see sky, its quite bright out there. It could be overcast but its defo not nasty looking, and through the nearest window to me I can see the building across the road is wet but also that its not raining. I take it the rest of Leeds is dismal?

ophic
16-12-09, 01:58 PM
all I can see is grey, wet, cold, poo weather.

Spiderman
16-12-09, 02:01 PM
ooh its getting heavier here now, big fat proper snow flakes. And its settling too.

arcdef
16-12-09, 02:12 PM
Defiantly snowing here, my dog was loving it!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/arcanedefiance/16122009352.jpg

Quedos
16-12-09, 02:14 PM
Defiantly snowing here, my dog was loving it!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h113/arcanedefiance/16122009352.jpg

I want your dog - I love them. I grew up with one Tell me yours is a daft as a brush too!

As for snow - nothing here quick sleet shower though the sky has a very yellow tinge and looks heavy:smt041

arcdef
16-12-09, 02:15 PM
Yep daft as a brush, but surprisingly cunning all at the same time!

Alpinestarhero
16-12-09, 02:18 PM
Just got back home from kingston, decided that it was best to ride in the snow now before it settles rather than later when it maybe has settled and definatly possibly maybe some ice in places

brrrrr cold, but only my hands!

If you are riding, rmember to stuff a bunch of newspapers inside your jacket, it makes you so much warmer, and stop if you are getting cold and cant concentrate. I stopped twice and did a little dance at the roadside to warm up and warmed my hands on the frame

Ed
16-12-09, 02:21 PM
No need to bother posting, out of London peeps.

If it's snowing down the smoke, it must be snowing everywhere;)

ophic
16-12-09, 02:22 PM
If it's snowing down the smoke, it must be snowing everywhere;)
I thought snow was caused by pollution - hence London gets quite a bit :p

pete m
16-12-09, 02:37 PM
Do we need to go home early cos of the snow/ ice / deadly conditionns on the roads ?????

PsychoCannon
16-12-09, 03:05 PM
I'm fishing to be let out early but so far no dice ;(
goign to be a slower than normal ride home tonight, I do NOT want to have to try and stop a half ton tourer from kissing tarmac and being left in -2 waiting for a recovery in central London (2 hours+) :-s

If it looks really bad by the time I leave at 6pm I'll leave the bike in the underground carpark and train home but I doubt it'll be that bad....I think

GeneticBubble
16-12-09, 03:10 PM
Do we need to go home early cos of the snow/ ice / deadly conditionns on the roads ?????

Or do we just not need to go in? :thumbsup:

Ed
16-12-09, 03:39 PM
Has London ground to a halt yet?

Spiderman
16-12-09, 03:42 PM
wont be long ed, probably just in time for the rush home as per usual. Today is one of the first days i'm glad to be an unemployed scumbag sitting at home :lol:

JediGoat
16-12-09, 04:37 PM
I've just got home, and can honestly say, that was a horrible 25 minute commute - very cold stinging rain, freezing cold hands (the cat is typing this for me) feet and face.

Might take the car tomorrow :(

Ed
16-12-09, 04:49 PM
wont be long ed, probably just in time for the rush home as per usual. Today is one of the first days i'm glad to be an unemployed scumbag sitting at home :lol:

Dolescum

ophic
16-12-09, 04:50 PM
Dolescum
Warmscum tho ;)

Spiderman
16-12-09, 05:02 PM
And eating mums lovely home cooking to boot since i'm at hers since yesterday. Woo.

Poor bike is out on the street getting snowed on tho, at least back at mine it'd be under a cover, so its not all rosey you know :lol:

Miss Alpinestarhero
16-12-09, 05:23 PM
Yay snow! :smt041

Ed
16-12-09, 05:26 PM
Just think. A flake of snow in London will be national news:rolleyes:

No snow here:D

TazDaz
16-12-09, 06:03 PM
Had a little bit of snow, was more sleet though and didn't settle much.

thedonal
16-12-09, 06:28 PM
Just got back home from kingston, decided that it was best to ride in the snow now before it settles rather than later when it maybe has settled and definatly possibly maybe some ice in places

brrrrr cold, but only my hands!

If you are riding, rmember to stuff a bunch of newspapers inside your jacket, it makes you so much warmer, and stop if you are getting cold and cant concentrate. I stopped twice and did a little dance at the roadside to warm up and warmed my hands on the frame

I now have pictures in my head of you dancing like a pixie, next to your bike, with bits of newspaper sticking out of your riding gear.

It's giving me a giggle. Thanks!

Ride from Waheybridge to Kingston Hosp was very cold and snowy. I do think it managed to wash the roadsalt off the bike though. Result!

The bike wasn't liking the cold much- thumping more than purring today. And I'd just got her running sweet! :(

V-Power and FST in the engine though- no knocking and no carb icing. I've planned to get into work tomorrow about 7:30-8. Hope it's not too icy.

TheOnlyNemesis
16-12-09, 06:33 PM
i hope no snow here, i gotta ride home tomorrow and my last snow ride was eventful to say the least

Milky Bar Kid
16-12-09, 06:37 PM
I want snow!!!

TheOnlyNemesis
16-12-09, 06:39 PM
I want snow!!!

I want don't get i was raised on:rolleyes:

Milky Bar Kid
16-12-09, 08:44 PM
Ok then, I would like snow please...

that better??

TheOnlyNemesis
17-12-09, 12:12 AM
Ok then, I would like snow please...

that better??

yup

Richie
17-12-09, 02:27 PM
It's snowing sideways here... and it's sticking...

ophic
17-12-09, 02:29 PM
It's snowing sideways here... and it's sticking...
to the walls?

Dave20046
17-12-09, 02:32 PM
bugger just looked out the window.

Alpinestarhero
17-12-09, 02:39 PM
I now have pictures in my head of you dancing like a pixie, next to your bike, with bits of newspaper sticking out of your riding gear.

It's giving me a giggle. Thanks!

Ride from Waheybridge to Kingston Hosp was very cold and snowy. I do think it managed to wash the roadsalt off the bike though. Result!

The bike wasn't liking the cold much- thumping more than purring today. And I'd just got her running sweet! :(

V-Power and FST in the engine though- no knocking and no carb icing. I've planned to get into work tomorrow about 7:30-8. Hope it's not too icy.

My bike was a bit slow on the uptake starting yesterday, normaly on full choke it gets up to 3000 rpm right away, but only idled at 2500 for a bit until it cleared itself. I'm not using any FST, just V-power :) engine was brilliant all the way home

and yea, i was dancing like a pixie!!!!

speedplay
17-12-09, 03:15 PM
snowing here in brum:-

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/sac.jpg

thedonal
17-12-09, 03:45 PM
My bike was a bit slow on the uptake starting yesterday, normaly on full choke it gets up to 3000 rpm right away, but only idled at 2500 for a bit until it cleared itself. I'm not using any FST, just V-power :) engine was brilliant all the way home

and yea, i was dancing like a pixie!!!!

Mine started second attempt yesterday morning, which was far colder than today.

Today she really struggled (and the battery certainly was by the time I got it going!)- I think more down to damp than the temperature. I didn't bother covering her last night as she was already soaking from my ride to hospital appt/home. More fool me, I suppose!

She really is lumpy though in this cold and despite starting at any choke setting since serviced/tuned, most choke settings wouldn't even catch.

I think a charge of the battery in my nicely sheltered flat tonight- and doubt I'll be riding in tomorrow, by the forecasts.

Plowsie- nice picture. Were having on and off blizzard showers in Waheybridge- nothing settling yet, though.

Quedos
17-12-09, 03:53 PM
Its snowing here and sticking too! - well what i can see in the dark!

Ed
17-12-09, 04:32 PM
No snow here in Scouseland. Clear skies, damn cold.

Sally
17-12-09, 04:40 PM
Just freezing here, no snow, little bit of hail earlier.

To be fair, I have got the chance to look out of a window since 12..

Could be snowed in for all I know :P

Ed
17-12-09, 04:43 PM

I assume you mean 'not' got...

So what are you banged up for?;)

simesb
17-12-09, 04:46 PM
Look people - if you can still see grass through the snow, then it ain't snowing hard enough yet. We wouldn't have even got excited about that much when we were at school...

Spiderman
17-12-09, 04:52 PM
thats true, the stuff that settled here last night was all gone again a little while later as the snow turned to rain. Supposed to be lots of it coming tonight tho peeps.

thedonal
17-12-09, 05:29 PM

You haven't had a chance to look out of a window since you were 12?

Harsh!

boot
17-12-09, 05:40 PM
Has been on and off all day, but had a dose about an hour ago that's stuck. Not sure if I'll get the bike off the drive without an injury tomorrow if it hasn't gone.

But I've locked the stable door and ordered some rock salt to be delivered tomorrow. :rolleyes:

suicidesam
17-12-09, 08:16 PM
California, The Sunny Village... Don't think so!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/suicidesam/17122009122.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/suicidesam/IMGP2167.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/suicidesam/IMGP2166.jpg

Had a light snow shower earlier ;)

speedplay
17-12-09, 08:24 PM
Look people - if you can still see grass through the snow, then it ain't snowing hard enough yet. We wouldn't have even got excited about that much when we were at school...

There was enough for me to have to close the site as the scaffold was icy :(

Oddly enough though, theres still frozen snow covering my car even after 60 miles of motorway to get home:confused:

Sean_C
17-12-09, 08:28 PM
FFS.
Half an inch covering here now.

Snow is alright on a Christmas card, but I'd much rather it was consigned to pictures. I've got quite a bit of driving to do tomorrow and saturday and could do without it.

Sally
17-12-09, 08:39 PM
I assume you mean 'not' got...

So what are you banged up for?;)

Drunk and disorderly, what else? :p

Harsh!

How did you know my surname was Fritzel? ;)

N8te rider
17-12-09, 08:46 PM
still no snow here in sunny sw london! where is it? who's hogging the stuff?

orose
17-12-09, 08:51 PM
It was here at about 3pm and hasn't quit since :(

Ed
17-12-09, 08:57 PM
Drunk and disorderly, what else? :p

I should have thought of that;)

How did you know my surname was Fritzel? ;)

Tasteless but very funny:D

Sally
17-12-09, 09:35 PM
Very tasteless.
Sorry, I have a black/dry humor. :)

Still no snow, and I am basically the furthest North :(

wyrdness
17-12-09, 09:39 PM

Harsh!

Well, that's not very long ago, is it?

Traders
17-12-09, 10:42 PM
4 inches in our area, just arrived home, took an extra hour because cars blocking roads unable to climb small hills, mostly BMW and MERCS (rear wheel drive) no good in the snow. If its like this in the morning then there is only one place to be,at home,

Spiderman
17-12-09, 10:44 PM
Glad i didnt bother trying to get back to Hatfield tonight then! I'm sure as soon as i was off the A1 that'd be as far as i'd get.

Sally
17-12-09, 10:47 PM
I actually have no snow!!!!!!!!!!!

Holdup
17-12-09, 10:48 PM
I just looked out my window to be amazed :D i love it when all of the sudden the whole street is covered by snow, a fox or cat has walked across my drive though and unsettled the smooth perfect snow :( loads of paw prints

Sally
17-12-09, 10:51 PM
I rate this thread -5 stars, as all you southern bar stewards get bloody snow, and I get jack ****!

I am away to bed. If it is not snowing here tomorrow, I am travelling south. Somewhere. I love snow. I am jealous. :(

Traders
17-12-09, 10:51 PM
Its the same situation as last year, where are the gritters,still haven't seen any yet on the roads,my mate just arrived in stevenage,took just over an hour from hitchin.

Traders
17-12-09, 10:53 PM
Its the first time thats its felt like xmas, all the lovely displays outside homes and the snow looks amazing.

Spiderman
17-12-09, 10:55 PM
yeh i got snowed in to a degree last year. My road and all the other side roads the gritters had not bothered with, so i could not get the bike out to the main roads and ride to work.

They were saying on the news that we may get "upto" 20cm of snow in the east and south east overnight and showed a whole bunch of gritters...at the depot. Why they aint out i dont understand tho.
Perhaps they are waiting for the roads to be gritted so they can go out, lol.

Traders
17-12-09, 10:59 PM
Just watched the local news and the council have hired farmers and their tractors to help on keeping the roads clear,the problem is that the council are home in bed and unaware its snowing.so no gritters or tractors.

Bibio
17-12-09, 11:01 PM
it's a whiteout in Kirkcaldy... yeeeeehaaaaaa

urbane1
17-12-09, 11:07 PM
We have not had any snow for two days now, but the 45 cm on the ground at the moment is a good base and we expect more this weekend.
The gritters only do the main roads so the side streets will be like this until April

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/urbane1-2/Snow.jpg

simesb
17-12-09, 11:09 PM
They were saying on the news that we may get "upto" 20cm of snow in the east and south east overnight and showed a whole bunch of gritters...at the depot. Why they aint out i dont understand tho.
Perhaps they are waiting for the roads to be gritted so they can go out, lol.

Gritters are naff-all use if you have snow - you need a plough. If the gritters work, it's not snowing hard enough...

Traders
17-12-09, 11:10 PM
I think its time that I invested in snow chains,but don,t know how much they cost.

simesb
17-12-09, 11:11 PM
I think its time that I invested in snow chains,but don,t know how much they cost.

And you're not allowed to use them in the UK cos we don't get anywhere near enough snow.

Spiderman
17-12-09, 11:14 PM
yeh chains are for very deep and compacted snow.

just get some spikes for your tyres instead ;)

Traders
17-12-09, 11:15 PM
There's enough snow now to on the roads to warrant chains,

5hort5
17-12-09, 11:27 PM

I brought some snow chains once but the bike carried on falling over off the side stand every time I tried to but them on.

;-)

Ed
17-12-09, 11:42 PM

Is there? I see no ships:( Not a flake here, just frikkin cold. I would guess temperature at around -5 to -6C.

urbane1
18-12-09, 12:24 AM
We use snow tyres, which have a soft compound to keep them supple at -35 and have abrasives in the rubber to provide additional grip. The difference between these and all season tyres (what a stupid name, they are really only summer tyres!) is about 20m when stopping from 60 Km/hr on ice.
Snow chains are illegal here, except on some of the mountain passes where you have to have them fitted before you are allowed to continue.

5hort5
18-12-09, 12:32 AM
Latest radar loop showing were the precip is, in this case snow but normally rain:

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/weather/radar/united_kingdom.html

JediGoat
18-12-09, 12:53 AM
The gritter lorry came past my shop this afternoon...and 15 seconds later the snow fell (immaculate timing TFL ;) ). But even better, were the quad bikes with gritting trailers that came past and gritted the footpaths - I want that job!

5hort5
18-12-09, 01:00 AM
liking the sound of that job as well :-)

rictus01
18-12-09, 01:30 AM
After most of the evening trying the snow has started to settle.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16142_210159104134_621884134_3238494_6954469_n.jpg
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16142_210159144134_621884134_3238496_4544704_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16142_210159154134_621884134_3238497_7809580_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs114.snc3/16142_210159189134_621884134_3238498_7315436_n.jpg

Not much I'll grant you, but it's still falling, more importantly tomorrow (or later today actually) is supposed to be clear and cold, so that'll be the big freeze no doubt.

Cheers Mark.

5hort5
18-12-09, 01:36 AM
Ahhh, poor bikes, two under cover and two left to the elements, would you like a free bike cover (well u can pay the P+P ;-)) to cover that poor, erm, what ever that poor snow covered lump is?

Great pics by the way :-)

rictus01
18-12-09, 01:40 AM
actually it's three undercovers, the S3 has it's own cover as well, but as I was working on it earlier it's not back on it, I'll wash it down once the sun comes up, the S4 is currently in use, so that won't get covered anyway, but thanks for the offer.

Cheers Mark.

5hort5
18-12-09, 01:42 AM
no probs, I have the joys of driving down from Warrington to reading tomorrow morning which should be fun - not. Luckily we haven't got much snow here but I have a feeling the trip down past Oxford will be slow.

rictus01
18-12-09, 01:46 AM
yeah well I went to waterlooville today, was cold enough, but wrapped up warm, wasn't so bad, got a bit of running around on Saturday, it'll be interesting on the bike, but I love the challenge.

Cheers Mark.

5hort5
18-12-09, 01:50 AM
tbh I wish I had a bike at the moment, still on the look out for a new fuel tank that I can afford - fingers crossed I'll have one on Saturday and then I can go out, I like riding in the cold but snow just puts me off, had to many scares to be in that game anymore, the misses would kill me.

rictus01
18-12-09, 02:11 AM
Haha, yeah know what you mean, mine's given up, think she's just waiting for the life insurance now.....;)

rictus01
18-12-09, 02:53 AM
a few more shots taken tonight.
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs114.snc3/16142_210227429134_621884134_3238686_8200671_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16142_210240934134_621884134_3238739_5390006_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs114.snc3/16142_210230894134_621884134_3238701_4515943_n.jpg
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs114.snc3/16142_210227449134_621884134_3238687_140511_n.jpg

And a little playing

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16142_210237779134_621884134_3238732_7440080_n.jpg
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs114.snc3/16142_210227414134_621884134_3238685_308704_n.jpg
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs114.snc3/16142_210230924134_621884134_3238703_1409566_n.jpg

Cheers Mark.

barwel1992
18-12-09, 03:11 AM
i want snow :(

rictus01
18-12-09, 04:09 AM
two more and that's it for now.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16142_210315569134_621884134_3238876_6397922_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs094.snc3/16142_210315579134_621884134_3238877_7621722_n.jpg