PDA

View Full Version : Cold

Dicky Ticker
16-12-09, 11:26 AM
Just looking at the weather for the next week and we have one with -12c including the wind chill.
Wondering what the coldest you have been in? The coldest I have ever experienced was -38c when driving to Moscow one winter and that is chuffin cold. I couldn't turn the engine off for fear of it and the fuel freezing.

wyrdness
16-12-09, 11:31 AM
Just looking at the weather for the next week and we have one with -12c including the wind chill.
Wondering what the coldest you have been in? The coldest I have ever experienced was -38c when driving to Moscow one winter and that is chuffin cold. I couldn't turn the engine off for fear of it and the fuel freezing.

Was that back in 1941? Why would anyone in their right mind want to drive to Moscow in winter?

punyXpress
16-12-09, 11:35 AM
Napoleon & Hitler had their reasons.

Owenski
16-12-09, 11:36 AM
Same, dont know the exact temp but they told us it was -40. Mt termblant (spelling) - Canada on a school skiing trip.
There was "a storm-a-brewin" we occupied the last chair allowed up and then our instructor got on about 4 chairs back. We waited by the lift at the top and then when he got off made our way to the cafe while it passed over. Quite scared tbh you couldnt see a thing and the instructor had gotten frost bite in his cheek.

-Ralph-
16-12-09, 11:39 AM
-25 in New York

An ex-colleague of mine (Russian) had permanent skin damage to his cheeks and nose after his car broke down in Siberia and he had to wait inside it with no heating until help arrived.

dizzyblonde
16-12-09, 12:12 PM
-25. In a tesco bakery freezer!

Miss Alpinestarhero
16-12-09, 12:42 PM
I would say around - 25 when I was in Finland and Norway earlier on in the year. Amazing experience :D

BoltonSte
16-12-09, 12:48 PM
Can't remembr if it was -20 or -25 when I lived in Delaware, Like an idiot thought I don't need a coat, only walking to the pub 5 mins away. By the time I'd made it 100yds sown the road I couldn't feel my face arms or hands.

And bleedin cold last NY in Chamonix.

happy days, I love the cold and snow.

Ste

Sir Trev
16-12-09, 12:56 PM
-20 in Finnish Lapland a few years ago on a "Santa" visit with the little one. Ski suits/boots were provided and some old bike thermals and gloves/wooly hat completed the ensemble. As long as you kept moving it was fabulous.

Would not want to go much lower than that though...

ThEGr33k
16-12-09, 01:02 PM
With or without wind chill?

At Fylingdales it was regularly -10*C and even lower but with wind chill it was WAY colder. My face would be numb in about a 100 meter walk with hat and scarf. :(

metalangel
16-12-09, 01:13 PM
-30C or worse on a regular basis when I lived in Canada. You just deal with it. Heck, it was -31 (-39 with windchill) in Edmonton the other day.

At those temperatures, you keep your scarf over your face, as otherwise you feel your nose hairs starting to freeze.

punyXpress
16-12-09, 02:37 PM
Supposed to be -30c at Elephant Rally January 1968
You REALLY needed a chair to stay upright!
Too cold to sleep so took brandy bottle for a walk round the circuit.
Happy daze!

Ed
16-12-09, 03:37 PM
-15C in New York, it didn't feel cold as it was so dry.

yorkie_chris
16-12-09, 03:48 PM
-25 or so skiing in Bulgaria

wyrdness
16-12-09, 03:49 PM
Supposed to be -30c at Elephant Rally January 1968
You REALLY needed a chair to stay upright!
Too cold to sleep so took brandy bottle for a walk round the circuit.
Happy daze!

I had to Google for that. You utter nutters. This is well worth a read:

http://www.lpmcc.net/rallies/rally_ele.htm

PunyX, were you one of those guys?

Richie
16-12-09, 03:52 PM
-43C Gorni Vakuf 1993 Bosnia, so cold out on the ground my cup pa tea froze solid in 10 minutes and that was in a polystyrene cup. Still got my sleeping bag sock and outter boot just incase!!!

urbane1
16-12-09, 03:56 PM
We had -40 C with a windchill of -52 C on Monday ( a new record for us), but everything carried on as normal, except they suggested not leaving your kids at the bus stop unattended in case the school bus was late.

It is forcast to be +2 C tomorrow! we just love the Chinooks as northern Alberta does not get them so they will stay below freezing.

Alpinestarhero
16-12-09, 03:57 PM
I would say around - 25 when I was in Finland and Norway earlier on in the year. Amazing experience :D

got a bit hotter when i nearly rolled the skidoo eh ;)

punyXpress
16-12-09, 09:58 PM
I had to Google for that. You utter nutters. This is well worth a read:

http://www.lpmcc.net/rallies/rally_ele.htm

PunyX, were you one of those guys?

'fraid not - never saw another English speaker, but still managed to get ripped off in 4 countries!
You'd think a sidecar would be warmer than on the back of the bike, but it wasn't.
Don't want to dwell on the hardships - would hate to put TLW & TinB off.