PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters are brilliant!

Bluepete
17-12-09, 11:00 AM
Last night, I was mostly flying around Manchester in our Helicopter!

What an amazing machine it is. The power and effortless control is staggering. Cristal clear skies too, so the views were fabulous. I tried my best to get a pic, but only one or two came out without much motion blur.

The pilot took it gently at first in case I felt ill, but when I called him an old man, he really (or so I thought) threw us around a bit. It's a funny feeling looking straight out of the side of the aircraft only to see the ground 1000 feet below, cars wizzing along oblivious to us up there.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/conker51/DSC_0502.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/conker51/Manchester.jpg

I can see an application being filled in soon!

Pete ;)

timwilky
17-12-09, 11:02 AM
You get to play with all the toys.

Jealous not

metalangel
17-12-09, 11:08 AM
Effortless control? In a helicopter?

ophic
17-12-09, 11:12 AM
Dutch ones have ejector seats :clown:

metalangel
17-12-09, 11:19 AM
The blades are ejected from the main rotor before the ejector activates. You see this happen in Goldeneye.

DanAbnormal
17-12-09, 11:21 AM
Helicopters are awesome!! Great pics Pete!:smt041

Bluepete
17-12-09, 11:23 AM
City Centre, you can see the G-Mex and the round Library.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/conker51/CityCentre.jpg

Artistic bluuuuuury shot

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/conker51/Blurryblurrynight.jpg

Pete ;)

Ed
17-12-09, 11:28 AM
Can I book a trip please:D

Luckypants
17-12-09, 11:45 AM
Can I book a trip please:D

Just do 120mph on the M60, trip booked.

neio79
17-12-09, 11:48 AM
mehhhh its ok suppose, dont have guns and missiles tho :wink: :lol:

missyburd
17-12-09, 11:51 AM
Oooh cracking photos Pete, me wanna go!

simesb
17-12-09, 12:28 PM
So you want to become the git who hovers over my flat on a night to keep everybody awake? Wish I could have a go...

the_lone_wolf
17-12-09, 12:33 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/wallpaper/images/brilliant_640.jpg

hindle8907
17-12-09, 12:45 PM
is that the one based at barton pete ?

Stig
17-12-09, 12:48 PM
Pah! You want to be looking out the back of a Hercules when it's tatically flying over a war zone. Now that sends the willies up yer spine. :wink:

Warthog
17-12-09, 01:23 PM
Now that sends the willies up yer spine. :wink:

Thought that was the navy...

Spiderman
17-12-09, 01:36 PM
Thought that was the navy...

pmsl!

I'd love to try the heli or the hercules...the willy, well i'll leave that to someone else thanks!

madjohn
17-12-09, 01:45 PM
Pah! You want to be looking out the back of a Hercules when it's tatically flying over a war zone. Now that sends the willies up yer spine. :wink:

I've done that. Going from Qatar to Basra airport on Op Telic 5. Scarey. But not as much fun as going Vertical in a Merlin helicopter Leaving Basra palace.

Daimo
17-12-09, 01:53 PM

Not quite as cool but stood in the cockpit of the Hercs whilst a pilot was doing touch and go's before his final exam.

Noisey bloody things.

keith_d
17-12-09, 02:53 PM
Effortless my ar$e, that's hundreds of flying hours practice.

IIRC, you've got collective (up/down) and throttle (rotor speed) on your left hand while your right hand controls cyclic (roll and pitch) and your feet control anti-torque (rotation). Add to that managing communications with local ATC and ground units and you've got a pretty full-on job.

Anyone who can make that look effortless is doing pretty well,

Keith.

Warthog
17-12-09, 02:58 PM
It was effortless for Pete!

Bluepete
17-12-09, 03:17 PM
Effortless my ar$e, that's hundreds of flying hours practice.

IIRC, you've got collective (up/down) and throttle (rotor speed) on your left hand while your right hand controls cyclic (roll and pitch) and your feet control anti-torque (rotation). Add to that managing communications with local ATC and ground units and you've got a pretty full-on job.

Anyone who can make that look effortless is doing pretty well,

Keith.
Exactly! Pilot has 24 years military helicopter flying and five with GMP. He deals with air traffic control, the rear observer does all the job radios, four channels at once.
I monitor three or four in the job car, but to do it up there as well as all the other stuff is very impressive.

Stu
17-12-09, 03:28 PM
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk24/conker51/Blurryblurrynight.jpg

Pete ;)
You can clearly see that biker speeding down there! Hope you nicked him ;)

DanAbnormal
17-12-09, 04:48 PM
Can I just say.........I've flown a Robinson R22...........and I know a few helo pilots.

They ALL say that flying real heli's is easlier than radio controlled ones. :cool:

Well it makes me feel quite special but I still want a real one.

Richie
17-12-09, 04:54 PM
Well it makes me feel quite special.

:laughat:
You are very Special, but not in the way you think.... :smt056

sunshine
17-12-09, 04:58 PM
tbh controlling everything but the communications isnt that hard (yes one heli lesson) first ever landing was fun, i almost crashed into the ground too hard :D
if its got wings i can fly, or i wish anyways.

maviczap
17-12-09, 05:07 PM
mehhhh its ok suppose, dont have guns and missiles tho :wink: :lol:

These ones fly around my neighbourhood have guns and missles, its a bit rough round here :rolleyes:

I haven't had a ride in a parafin budgie for a few years, but I haven't been winched off the deck of a ship to give the SAR guys some practice.

One to an Wessex helichopter and the other time was to a sea king.

Flown out to an oil rig in a sea king too.

Love helicopters

punyXpress
17-12-09, 05:11 PM
Looks great, BP
"Lunge in a chopper, livin' it up when your spiralling down."
ps: where's the blue light?

yorkie_chris
17-12-09, 05:26 PM
if its got wings i can fly, or i wish anyways.

Are you howlin' mad?

sunshine
17-12-09, 07:00 PM
Are you howlin' mad?
I make howlin' mad look sane :colors:
ever flown a microlight in high winds :D its fun

timwilky
18-12-09, 09:12 AM
I can see Eric Cartman santa on the city centre piccy

ArtyLady
18-12-09, 09:37 AM
Lucky thing Pete! that looks great and amazing pics! I've always wanted to go in a helicopter and nearly got the chance when I fell of a horse but it was busy, not that'd I'd have seen a lot from a spinal board :lol:

Tiger 55
18-12-09, 01:35 PM
Are you howlin' mad?
If Sunshine landed after his first ever lesson he makes Capt H.M. Murdock look like a ham fisted beginner.

Here's a Where's Wally style pick of my bike in front of the office, taken during a visit by Mrs Tiger's charity chums.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r161/tigerboz55/Breast%20Way%20Round/DSC00046.jpg

And here's a view of Glasgow from last week. I like Pete's view better. :)
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11155_197486014836_547039836_2768173_881030_n.jpg

They practically fly themselves nowadays, been a long time since anybody had to take manual control of their throttle on a routine basis, and if it's all getting out of hand I just press the big button marked Autopilot and do exactly what the warm and gentle voice from Air Traffic tells me to do.

But your right, they're brilliant! :smt041

sunshine
19-12-09, 07:10 AM
tiger, landing is the hardest part but i attempted to land 5 times where he kept making me pull up, and as i said rough landing, any harder of a landing would of broke something (they was amazing nothing broke when i landed). i would love more lessons but there expensive, playing with microlights and stuff like that is a fun way to fly, but its not big enough to get you anywhere.

Tiger 55
19-12-09, 01:14 PM
landing is the hardest part but i attempted to land 5 times...playing with microlights and stuff like that is a fun way to fly, but its not big enough to get you anywhere.
You've got to be exceptional just to get a chance to land on your first ever lesson so you must be a natural - find the cash from somewhere!

As for the microlights, you're brave peeps I'll give you that. ;)

DanAbnormal
19-12-09, 02:11 PM
I took off and landed my Robinson R22 on my first lesson after a couple of hours practice and getting the feel for torque effect and ground effect. I plan to pass my PPL at some point in the future. He wouldn't however let me try a loop......:mad: :rolleyes:

Tiger 55
19-12-09, 04:39 PM
Bloody hell, another natural! Must be a V-twin thing...

Richie
19-12-09, 04:48 PM
I read the book Chicken Hawk... Twice...

does that count...?

sunshine
19-12-09, 06:30 PM
micro lights are fun to fly, learn to fly them first, just watch the strong winds, and none of my aerobatics otherwise i might loose parts, or so i keep getting told, landing a microlight on a private road was funny, all the people in the 3 houses came out to give me a funny look :D
and as for flying a helicopter its like driving a car, men have no trouble with it and women crash all them time!!! :D :D :D flying is like driving, its easy and theres cage microlight flying cutting you up :D

When I went to turkey I was 15 and allowed in the cockpit, so many buttons the press, so little time :D