PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycling = selfish?

skeetly
17-12-09, 11:59 AM
I guess everyones seen the bbc crash map by now.
It led me to this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8344025.stm

Married, kids, dogs cats.
Am I being selfish risking life and limb on what is really just a hobby?

:(

metalangel
17-12-09, 12:00 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before. The answer is no, it's not, unless you're deliberately riding dangerously.

hindle8907
17-12-09, 12:11 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before. The answer is no, it's not, unless you're deliberately riding dangerously.

Yes it has lol and its not really a question to ask a bunch of bikers lol ...
As we Inc me will tell you no its not ....
The number one saying... You can get hit by a bus crossing the road but you still cross dont you . is that selfish ?

thedonal
17-12-09, 12:13 PM

Seconded.

And looking at my locale, the percentage of car deaths far outweighs the percentage of bike deaths.

Obviously, this doesn't take into account the proportion of cars/bikes on the road, which is another set of figures and discussion entirely.

Dave20046
17-12-09, 12:14 PM
I think it's selfish, if I had the above commitments I'd have to rethink - whether or not it'd stop me I don't know.

Dave20046
17-12-09, 12:15 PM
Seconded.

And looking at my locale, the percentage of car deaths far outweighs the percentage of bike deaths.

Obviously, this doesn't take into account the proportion of cars/bikes on the road, which is another set of figures and discussion entirely.
Does that take into account the number of bike crashes there were and how many of them resulted in death against a car's statistics?
I have a feeling that statistic will be pretty grim.

thedonal
17-12-09, 12:20 PM
Does that take into account the number of bike crashes there were and how many of them resulted in death against a car's statistics?
I have a feeling that statistic will be pretty grim.

Looking at a few of the marked places on the map, the majority of them are single car/teenager accidents or multiple car accidents. But again, I guess this is because there are more cars on the road.

metalangel
17-12-09, 12:20 PM
There's some higher factor probability that you'll be hurt or killed IF you crash your bike vs crashing your car. Not to forget that it's a lot easier to have a single vehicle accident on your bike.

PsychoCannon
17-12-09, 12:21 PM
I just got married (To a very lovely woman!) and have a baby girl due in May and I still ride, I don't think it selfish at all.

As a car is NOT an option to get to and from work in Central London every day and I could just as easily be killed on the train or while walking through central london from the train station and crossing all those roads as on the bike only on top of that I'd spend twice as long commuting and have even less time with my child when it's born, so no, I don't think so at all!

wyrdness
17-12-09, 12:27 PM
It led me to this:

I read this article earlier this morning and was going to post it.

I really can't understand why you think that motorcycling might be selfish. Surely the selfish person in this case was the drink driver who killed the rider.

Davies
17-12-09, 12:30 PM
No, riding a motorcycle is not selfish in my opinion.

Getting into a van drunk though...........

skeetly
17-12-09, 12:52 PM
I did post while feeling a bit emotional about it.
I know the van driver was selfish; but he exists none the less.
I don't need the bike. I have it because I want it.
I already have a job that appears to produce more cripples and deaths than most others and that article just made me think.

Quedos
17-12-09, 01:00 PM
i have two bikes and a car - no paper commitments but i have a lot of people who would miss me
Riding is a hobby just as is flying. fishing, dancing all have their own dangers but I wouldn't say selfish - its part of me and always will be - slefish is when somebody tells me I can't ride!

dizzyblonde
17-12-09, 01:03 PM
I have always stated that riding my bike is my own selfish pleasure.

Purely as it gets me away from kids, dogs, cats....:-)
I can't drive, and TBH I'd rather not have to deal with kiiddywink distrcting me from my meeee time!

gruntygiggles
17-12-09, 01:11 PM
I've had this question asked of me quite a bit this last part of the year and for everyone that PM'd me, I said the same thing and that was that you can't listen to what other people on an internet forum think about this in order to potentially make a decision.

IMO, it is a decision that only you should make. It is not selfish to ride a motorcycle, but it would be selfish to ignore the feelings and wishes of the people who love you and would be left behind when you are making any decision.

If your OH hates bikes and doesn't want you to ride them....and biker or no biker, we all know full well that you are more likely to lose your life riding a bike than driving a car, getting a train or taking a bus, you should at least listen to them. You can't tell people that don't like bikes that they are wrong, because they are not......we all have friends who have been killed in a bike accident, regardless of fault and those are friends that we would do anything to have back in our lives.

What I feel people need to do is find a compromise and for neither side to be selfish. I am petrified of getting that call about Dan, but I enjoy being on the bike too, so I would be a hypocrite if I asked him to stop.
I am petrified of my mum and dad getting that call about me as I really don't think they'd cope after what the family has been through, but I enjoy the bike and don't want to give it up.

So, if you are a rider who listens to your loved ones, understands their concerns and so rides responsibly every time you get on your bike, therefore minimising risk, I don't think you're being selfish.

If you don't care what your loved ones think because you like your bike, you want to ride it and if you want to cross the lines on a blind bend to pass a sunday driver on a road you don't know and at 30mph over the speed limit every time you go out.....then yes, I think you are being selfish.....and a nob!

If you want to go super fast and show off what an amazing rider you are and how you would be lapping Rossi, Stoner and Pedrosa...then go do it on a trackday....not on the roads that you have to share with the rest of us. Sometimes even the best of riders get caught out through no fault of anyone and we are all left to miss them.

If you can ride your bike, enjoy it and ride safely.....don't ever feel guilty.

Spiderman
17-12-09, 01:24 PM
any of us could get hit by a drunk driver, weather we are on a bike or walking down the pavement wrapped in cotton wool.

Biking is as selfish as any other individualist sport like rock climbing, surfing, snow boarding etc imho. They all have risks and we do them cos we enjoy the buzz. We all also go into them with the best intentions and the most appropriate gear we feel we need and hope to come out the other side unscathed.

Stu
17-12-09, 01:36 PM
It led me to this:

No I've not seen the map.

Linky?

Alpinestarhero
17-12-09, 01:38 PM
Motorcycling is as selfish as driving a car or using any other form of transport, including your legs :)

What is actually selfish is people expecting other people to always ferry them about :roll: with no thought that the other person might be busy (parents with teenagers prob understand this alot! :lol:)

its also selfish being the owner of a spotless GSXR 750, a spotless VFR400R and a nearly finished XT250 and not letting your son have a go :nemo::roll::D

I choose to ride motorcycles because it is a more convinient method of transport for me. I think its selfish to buy a big landrover and not share it with other people, just use it for yourself ;)

skeetly
17-12-09, 01:40 PM
Doh. Feel a bit daft now :roll:

Obviously I am as good as Rossi and Stoner but I do try to ride safely.
Phew. Thought I might have to sell the bike there.

Wife worries about it and wishes i didn't but she wouldn't make me get rid.
She's been on the back so it's not all bad.

No I've not seen the map.

Linky?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm

I thought it was posted here but might have been elsewhere.

Spiderman
17-12-09, 01:43 PM
Doh. Feel a bit daft now :roll:

Dont be silly, you asked a bunch of bikers so we're all bound to say this. Ask a bunch of black cabbies in london the same question and i bet you most will say "all bikers have a death wish as far as i'm concerned"

Its all about where you stand when you look at the subject. Never feel silly for asking for opinions mate.

_Stretchie_
17-12-09, 01:48 PM
I think its selfish to buy a big landrover and not share it with other people, just use it for yourself ;)

We share

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/Disco/Nov%2009%20Viper%20and%20Fizz/PICT2341.jpg

:)

gruntygiggles
17-12-09, 01:49 PM
Stretchie....you are amazing!

That is all x

beabert
17-12-09, 01:52 PM
I think it's selfish, if I had the above commitments I'd have to rethink - whether or not it'd stop me I don't know.+1,

It is, but then so is having a child in the first place, selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Rai86
17-12-09, 01:54 PM
Oh god that is such a sad article. I am sat at my desk almost in tears. What scares me is not saying goodbye or i love you when you see them last.

My other half has a dangerous job, and whenever he goes to work i always tell him to be carefull and that i love him. I would never try and stop him as it is his choice to do his job and he loves it. I dont have any right to stop that, just as he would never ask me to stop riding. One day, i think i will give up road riding. When we have kids i think.

I know what it feels like to leave things on a bad note. My dad died last year, and the last thing i said to him was that i thought he was a idiot. He was a total plank, just wish i had a chance to add "...but i love you" on the end.

skeetly
17-12-09, 01:54 PM
It is, but then so is having a child in the first place, selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Hmm. Not sure what you're getting at there.
I have 4 kids and they're not all mine. I can't say I've ever felt selfish with regards to any of them; whether I liked it or not :D

robh539
17-12-09, 01:56 PM
I dont see it a selfish, my hobbies include, diving, flying various water sports. Everything has a risk, what makes a difference is the caution/common sense used while having fun. Sad story though

Alpinestarhero
17-12-09, 02:02 PM
We share

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Stretchie_/Disco/Nov%2009%20Viper%20and%20Fizz/PICT2341.jpg

Well you guys clearly are not selfish, good work :smt041:D

robh539
17-12-09, 02:12 PM
We share

That looks like great fun nice one :)

Ed
17-12-09, 02:25 PM
Horrible story, that. My wife received a call from the police when I came off. They said 'your husband's been in a motorcycle accident, please come to the Princess Royal immediately' - and that was it - so I can understand why Anne was so upset, she didn't know that I wasn't at death's door.

Selfish - well maybe.

Warthog
17-12-09, 03:00 PM
What a sad story :(

beabert
17-12-09, 03:26 PM
Hmm. Not sure what you're getting at there.
I have 4 kids and they're not all mine. I can't say I've ever felt selfish with regards to any of them; whether I liked it or not

Taking care of them isn't. I mean the act of deciding you want a child then creating one.

Alpinestarhero
17-12-09, 04:12 PM
Horrible story, that. My wife received a call from the police when I came off. They said 'your husband's been in a motorcycle accident, please come to the Princess Royal immediately' - and that was it - so I can understand why Anne was so upset, she didn't know that I wasn't at death's door.

Selfish - well maybe.

When i had my accident, i told maria i was fine (i was so it was the truth) but even if i had 2 broken legs, over the phone i would only have gone as far as "im fine, my legs are a bit sore so im goi ng to the hospital but im fine, come down and get me"

rictus said to me to always tell your other half your fine until they actually see you, its not good telling them "darling, ive had an accident and my legs are broken and i've dislocated my arms!", because they'll just have a horrible image in their head and everything

Specialone
17-12-09, 07:06 PM
Im bound to say the same as others, but i truly believe its not selfish, you have to do things you wanna do in this life cos you dont get long then its too late.

What is selfish imo is not being responsible, taking unnecessary risks, putting other road users at risk.
If you have loved ones at home then do all you can to ride as safely as you can and stay alive without taking the fun out of riding.

I couldnt live with myself if i took somebody out as a result of my stupidty when it could have been easily avoided.

Dave20046
17-12-09, 07:13 PM
What is selfish imo is taking unnecessary risks,
*quote edited*
You mean like motorcycling?
If you use a motorbike when it's not absolutely necessary you're statistically raising the likelihood of you being killed. Thing is if we looked at everything like that life would be no fun, so just do what you enjoy, make yourself as safe as possible and enjoy - that's my view anyway.

thulfi
17-12-09, 07:19 PM
I thought most actions a human takes are ultimately selfish as most are driven in order to feel a pleasant little surge of dopamine when you know you've just done something nice...or likewise crazy!

I reckon people need to throw every stat out of the window, excpet the answer to the question...

"You, being somebody who rides a motorcycle, what is your most likely statistical cause of getting seriously hurt of dying prematurely?"

Biking is dangerous, but I agree with the earlier comment of its no more selfish than rock climbing or surfing, etc.

philbut
17-12-09, 07:35 PM
Yep, in general agreement with everything that has been said. There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I am about to cycle 7 miles home. I am about 5 or 6 times more likely to be killed on my push bike than on a motorbike (per mile travelled) but you don't get people going on about how dangerous cycling is. everything carries a risk, but I don't think it's fair to say one form of transport is more selfish than another just because of statistics. The story is very sad, I read it this morning and it made me really think about my riding, but then I love it so much that I think giving up would make me resentful of those who I gave it up for. I am a careful rider (or try to be) and that's the best I can do to minimise the risk. if I had kids I might stop winter riding and do more track days but I couldn't give up all together.

Specialone
17-12-09, 07:46 PM
You mean like motorcycling?
If you use a motorbike when it's not absolutely necessary you're statistically raising the likelihood of you being killed. Thing is if we looked at everything like that life would be no fun, so just do what you enjoy, make yourself as safe as possible and enjoy - that's my view anyway.

Dave, thats exactly what i was saying, im not preaching to everybody wrap yourselves up in cotton wool, but c'mon, certain people on bikes (not meaning anyone off here btw) take bigger risks and when you see them you know they are more likely to come a cropper than someone who doesnt.
Its also the numbers game imo, you ride like a **** for 20k a year as opposed to someone riding relatively safely doing 4k then law of averages they are more likely to get hurt or killed than the 4k rider.

You can do a whole host of activities (unnecassary ones i might add just like riding) fairly safely or dangerously, not just biking.

skeetly
17-12-09, 07:49 PM
Right. I'm feeling better about it now :)
Cheers for that.
Maybe we all need to give it some consideration now and again.
Maybes its healthy to consider ones mortality with this sort of thing.

robh539
17-12-09, 11:42 PM
Right. I'm feeling better about it now :)
Cheers for that.
Maybe we all need to give it some consideration now and again.
Maybes its healthy to consider ones mortality with this sort of thing.

I do agree with that mate. IMHO it is what makes, keeps us alive be it from everday things to extreme sports. If not you keep pushing things, The limit will come. The consideration comes with age (not that I old or wise) I can remember doing silly things as a kid, teenager. No sense no care, that's dangerous and foolish.

A check now and a again is healthy and ensures you keep yourhead when riding, flying diving working in my case.

Everbody will do it at different times for different reasons. Riding is fun, life without fun is not living. :)

jamesterror
18-12-09, 12:29 AM
My mum worries most about me, parents policy is they don't fund it so it has nothing to do with them...

When I came off, first person I rang was my mum and I told her "I've came off my bike, but I'm fine, totally fine just a bit shuck up", and asked if she'd come meet me to make sure I was safe riding back with a third of a gear lever, luckily I wasn't in a bad way.

I'm selling my bike in the coming weeks, for financial reasons unfortunatly, but my hope is to get back on one the following year (2011) when I'm on placement, however there are no circumstainces that I'd sell my bike on behalf of anybody else, so if I'm selfish for something I enjoy, so be it.

Lissa
18-12-09, 06:43 AM
When i had my accident, i told maria i was fine (i was so it was the truth) but even if i had 2 broken legs, over the phone i would only have gone as far as "im fine, my legs are a bit sore so im goi ng to the hospital but im fine, come down and get me"

rictus said to me to always tell your other half your fine until they actually see you, its not good telling them "darling, ive had an accident and my legs are broken and i've dislocated my arms!", because they'll just have a horrible image in their head and everything

A friend of ours had an accident in France and ended up with broken ribs. He had to be flown home and didn't tell his wife about the accident until he arrived back, as she would only have worried and not been able to do anything anyway. (He also had Pete and I riding round and round completely the wrong French town trying to find him, but that's another story!)

As for selfish, maybe, but Pete and I have grown-up kids with their own lives and our only responsibilities now are three cats. I'd like to think they'd miss us, but tbh anyone who gave them a tin of sardines would be their new best friend! :D

speedplay
18-12-09, 08:05 AM
When I had my off back in august 08 I said to Jenn that I wouldnt ride again if it would make her worry about me.

She told me not to be silly and when I was back on my feet and fit enough to ride again, get another bike as it makes me happy when I ride.

The only thing that I have changed is that I'm now very well insured and I know that if I dont walk away from something, Jenn will be looked after and the house paid off etc.

ixlr8
19-12-09, 12:07 AM
A slightly different POV. Statistically, we're much much more risking our health and lives by joining the ranks of the population who are overweight and obese. That's selfish....(IMHO)

ravingdavis
19-12-09, 02:35 AM
My mum worries most about me, parents policy is they don't fund it so it has nothing to do with them...

When I came off, first person I rang was my mum and I told her "I've came off my bike, but I'm fine, totally fine just a bit shuck up", and asked if she'd come meet me to make sure I was safe riding back with a third of a gear lever, luckily I wasn't in a bad way.

My situation as far as bikes go is identical to yours, my parents don't fund it and my mum doesn't like it but she knows it's my life so she will not try and stop me.

When I had my off they were the first people I told too, five mins after I had the off and was in sound enough mind to use a phone I called them.

As far as the taking risks goes I think it is subjective, most things in life come with risk. You can live life in a padded cell to ensure that you remain alive for your family but life is to be enjoyed (within reason). My dad has been in the army for my entire life and has been to some pretty rough places, would it have been resonable to expect him to leave the army so that he stands a better chance of staying alive for my sake? In my opinion, no definatly not. I feel the same way about biking, if you take silly needless risks on a bike then perhaps that is selfish but for the vast majority of motorcyclists who ride for enjoyment while being decent and reasonably sensible then you cannot give up something because there is a slight chance that injury may occur.

Sally
19-12-09, 02:39 AM
aye

Bibio
19-12-09, 01:18 PM
YES and i love every minuet of it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: