PDA

View Full Version : MS Access help!

andyb
17-12-09, 03:27 PM
To all the computer geeks :) My boss is editing an existing database in Access but is trying to review the relationships between the table and create some automatic primary keys.

When he views the relationships between the tables MS automatically add some copies of tables i.e. he has a table called customers but in the relationship view he gets customers & customers_1.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Andy

The Guru
17-12-09, 03:38 PM
Its just a copy of the relationship with 'Customers'. It should be fine to remove the 'Customers_1' relationship/link

andyb
17-12-09, 04:41 PM
He's removed it but everytime he comes back to the relationship view it has added it again so he's thinking he's mucked up somewhere???

I don't know much about databases so can't help either, just trying to write what he tells me is wrong :)

SoulKiss
17-12-09, 04:46 PM
To all the computer geeks :) My boss is editing an existing database in Access

There's your first mistake, Access is not a Database...

Its a flat file system with some database like features.

Kinvig
17-12-09, 04:53 PM
There's your first mistake, Access is not a Database...

Its a flat file system with some database like features.

I hate the snobbish attitudes when it comes to MS Access. Mostly it's from people that secretly heart Apple.

As an application solution for a small group of users it is quite practical...and indexed correctly can handle tables with rows of upto 500,000 records.

I last used Access in 2003 so I won't be any help to the current problem - I opened up the latest version of Access in Feb this year, and unsurprisingly, Microsoft had moved all the menus around and added loads of different functionality.

Try searching Experts Exchange etc for solutions & good luck!

Edit: Just a thought - have you got a self referencing table there? Good description here: http://eal.us/2006/05/11/geek-stuff-flattening-a-self-referencing-table/