PDA

View Full Version : Braver than me

Dicky Ticker
18-12-09, 08:03 AM
Appreciating it might be different where you are,but we have 4" of snow with ice underneath ungritted. No way is it safe for a bike here and I am even dubious about the car.
I await in anticipation for the brave to post up with the horror stories.

It is still snowing here in Essex.

PLEASE BE SAFE AND THINK BEFORE BECOMING A HERO AS WE DON'T ANY ACCIDENTS

Traders
18-12-09, 08:10 AM
Do the right thing and stay safe at home, not worth the risk.

Alpinestarhero
18-12-09, 08:24 AM
I rode from brighton to london in similar conditions (to north london today) earlier this year. Looking back, it was not the most sensible thing to do but with care I was ok, the important thing was stoping for some food and water and to rinshe the bike down once I got off the motorway.

By all means, if you can only get anywhere by bike, then dont go out. If you have a car, use that. If you can get the bus, do that

its just not a bike day out there

beabert
18-12-09, 08:49 AM
get some snow tyres, id have a set if i had a car, there any for bikes? lol

Viney
18-12-09, 08:59 AM
I got the bus to work. Didnt want to faff around seeing if trains were running etc. Get into london, no snow! However, even i f i wanted to get my bike out and ride, it wasnt going to happen. Getting the bike out of my garden is hard enough when dry, then i live on a hill with a t junction at the end. If i could get it onto the main road, then that would be fine, but with my luck this year, i took the safe(some whould say whimp) option :)

EssexDave
18-12-09, 09:04 AM
My whole office is shut currently.
Not sure if anyone will make it in, but I know I'm nice and cosy tucked up in bed.

ArtyLady
18-12-09, 09:30 AM
Son is digging his car out in an attempt to go to work (garage mechanic) not sure that any customers will turn up though!

Alpinestarhero
18-12-09, 10:04 AM
Son is digging his car out in an attempt to go to work (garage mechanic) not sure that any customers will turn up though!

hah! there's always work to do when your a mechanic, even if its drinking tea :lol:
and i bet he'll be inundated with calls of "my battery is flat, I cant start my car, can you help" :lol:

metalangel
18-12-09, 10:05 AM
Three people asked today if I'd come in one the bike. And it got funnier each time, really!

hindle8907
18-12-09, 10:09 AM
Pussys, :p

Iansv II
18-12-09, 11:04 AM
There is no way i'd have even got out of my road on the bike as I live on a hill

Walked to my boss's house and got a lift in his warm car even if it did mean being 2 hours early for work... gotta get bus/train home though

Its funny looking out the window watching people outside the office trying to get in and out of the carpark though and just wheelspinning and sliding all over the place

Littlepeahead
18-12-09, 11:10 AM
I have just despatched my husband to the supermarket on foot to buy me croissants and fresh coffee. Wouldn't want to tire myself out getting out of my PJs and slippers would I?

LK-SV
18-12-09, 11:10 AM
Train to work for me .....

I remember the thread a few weeks back .... xxbadgerxx said something like this IIRC .... (apologies if it wasn't you :-))

Yep, I rode in snow last year, you have to be really careful, but generally you'll adapt pretty quickly, and the SV handles quite well ............ (the thread went on to read) ...... yeah, broke my arm that day !!! lol

Neeja
18-12-09, 11:43 AM
I played a lovely game on the CBR this morning. It was called "tap the rear brake and see how far you can slide". Luckily my commute to work is all main, very well gritted roads, so only the first 30 metres out of my estate were problematic...three tight 90 degree turns on freezing cold tyres on snow was great. 5mph with both feet down and zero throttle. Good times.

Nobbylad
18-12-09, 11:48 AM
Left my SV at home today :( only time it's been left behind this year ('cept when it was getting fixed up).

On the lash tonight in Mancland (Chrizzie do, starts at 12:30) and Nobbylass is meeting me later to make sure I get to the hotel safely ;)

Chrizzie shopping in the morning so even if I could have ridden in today, I'd need transport to get the gifts home, so cage it is.

Was dodgy pulling onto the drive last night though with all the ice...roads were fine all the way home, then nearly decked it at 1mph on the driveway :rolleyes:

dizzyblonde
18-12-09, 02:10 PM
Landrover here. No problem with getting around on snow. :-) Perfect vehicle for getting around our hills in this weather. Bikes in the shed, Z wrapped up. All locked up for winter. Happy days.

Dicky Ticker
18-12-09, 03:03 PM
Chelsea tractors are fine------until somebody else gets stuck in front of you.:(
Now if it was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang I could see a way of overcoming that problem:D:D

Don't tell me you have actually persuaded old Peggy that he is better off on 4 wheels

Sir Trev
18-12-09, 07:21 PM

Bloke round the corner from me was the first to brave the snowy hill outside this morning. He parked his car down the bottom before walking back up for all his tools. He was saying if he doesn't prove he tried to get in he'd be docked a days pay. When I asked if that meant taking a picture of his stranded/rolled car he said yes!! Too many people where we works see a few flakes and wimp out apparently. Trouble is some of us live in a very hilly area where most of the roads aint gritted!

Ed
18-12-09, 07:32 PM
Last time we had snow I had one of the team phone in that she was stranded and couldn't get to work, so I called the bus company and they said all their services were running normally. Funny this, she came in about an hour later.

dizzyblonde
18-12-09, 08:42 PM
Don't tell me you have actually persuaded old Peggy that he is better off on 4 wheels

Could never do that DT. Nobodies convinced me four wheels is better than two, so it would be hypocritical for me to do it to him:D.

However we the game of 'Landy coming through, get out of the way'!!

Dicky Ticker
18-12-09, 08:49 PM
I only mean whilst the weather be a tad inclement------he's got to go for another 20 odd years to catch up:riding:--:D