PDA

View Full Version : WSBK-1997 Season

Alpinestarhero
18-12-09, 09:00 AM
I found this on youtube, on cold winter days I like to watch some old races...this is 1997 WSBK season, so don your foggy flags and boo in the direction of kosinski, whilst wondering who that niel hobson (:lol:) guy is

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1A80B469C5C872FB

Matt

Holdup
18-12-09, 10:05 AM
RC45's

People ive never heard of :p

I was 6 in 1997, still good to watch, were they all 750's back then?

Alpinestarhero
18-12-09, 10:36 AM
RC45's

People ive never heard of :p

I was 6 in 1997, still good to watch, were they all 750's back then?

750cc four cyl, and 1000cc twins

in reality

honda, yamaha, kawasaki, suzuki were 750 cc, since they all ran 4 cyl engines

ducati were 1000cc, since they ran twins. The RC45 was widely regarded to have the most power

Holdup
18-12-09, 10:42 AM
Ahh cool

I just watched race 1 at philip island, the ammount of spills they had in the rain, makes you realise how much technology has moved on and how much most riders now days rely on electronics such as traction control, abs etc etc

Alpinestarhero
18-12-09, 10:44 AM
Ahh cool

I just watched race 1 at philip island, the ammount of spills they had in the rain, makes you realise how much technology has moved on and how much most riders now days rely on electronics such as traction control, abs etc etc

Yea, i was thinking the same after watching the donington races - you hardley ever see riders out of their seats now, such is the level of control the suspension provides and the electronic aids provide.

And those kawasaki's and yamaha's still had carbs back then!

Simon Crafar was so awesome in his day, and Yangagawa

Holdup
18-12-09, 10:49 AM
I noticed they looked good, Baylis seemed to do well in the philip island race, saw he was 5th after binning it and having to chase the bike round in circles :p

yorkie_chris
18-12-09, 11:53 AM
Ahh cool

More the tyres than the tech IMO. We've got road tyres now that foggy would have won races on.

Yea, i was thinking the same after watching the donington races - you hardley ever see riders out of their seats now, such is the level of control the suspension provides and the electronic aids provide.

And those kawasaki's and yamaha's still had carbs back then!

Simon Crafar was so awesome in his day, and Yangagawa

Suspension's come on a lot. Early superbikes might have gone from skinny forks and wierd NEAS antidive etc to chunky upside downies but the changes inside fork are even more pronounced.

I don't think the electronic aids are a good thing at all. Look at how dull motoGP bikes are now compared to watching Rainey and Schwantz knocking hell out of each other on mad sliding, slapping, wheelying 500s.

Nothing wrong with carbs. Much simpler, far less load on electrics etc.

Here is example:
This is comp. valve from 750M
http://files.activeboard.com/65434?AWSAccessKeyId=1XXJBWHKN0QBQS6TGPG2&Expires=1262217600&Signature=N7PUo15LI8%2B3p9XLTkH%2B6Mt3ilU%3D
Note it is like check valve on top of comp piston and damping comes from flow through holes in largest "shim" impinging on two smaller shims below it. Piston is one direction only so whole thing must then act as check valve for rebound flow.

This is more modern one from RSV mille:
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5774/compressionshims.jpg

See how oil on compression must flow down through valve stack meaning you can tune flow. Reb. flow going up just moves wave washer and checkplate so rebound damping is done on the rebound valve where it should be.

P.S pics courtesy of suspension forum

Alpinestarhero
18-12-09, 02:56 PM
retry that RSV one again YC, all i can see is a nice red cross :lol:

yorkie_chris
18-12-09, 03:30 PM
retry that RSV one again YC, all i can see is a nice red cross :lol:

It work now?

Stig
18-12-09, 03:34 PM
It work now?

Yup