PDA

View Full Version : Ms Speedplay down

speedplay
18-12-09, 03:20 PM
I got a call from Jenn today saying that she has had an accident and couldnt get out of the car.
Jenn was driving my freelander as we have just got rid of her old skip, sorry, saxo.

I left the brum sunshine and 20 mins or so later was back in snowy Northampton and heading to where my freelander was.

Jenn decided to take the A428 (despite me saying to take the motorway) into bedford but unfortunatly didnt make it.

This is what I found:-

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo003-1.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo047.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo048.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo049.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo050.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo051.jpg

Jenn is fine but the car is going to need a little more than a t-cut.

According to Jenn, she was going about 30mph, when she hit some black ice and the car went into a spin, slid round, mounted the kerb where there was deep snow and started to slide sideways till she hit the post and then went into a roll.

I loved that car too :(

Stay safe out there guys.

Alpinestarhero
18-12-09, 03:24 PM
Is she ok? Walking and stuff?

Good job she was in that and not the other car I suppose, one would expect that vehicle to be safer

You'll be needing some gaffa ape and a hammer, and 30 mins of bashing and sticking down, be alright then

take care

CheGuevara
18-12-09, 03:26 PM
Scary - glad she's alright - obviously could have gone the other way just as easily.

I've just shown my wife -she's not wreckless, but i sometime sthink she underestimates how quickly and easily things can go pear-shaped.

Spiderman
18-12-09, 03:28 PM
Jeezuz! Glad she was in a freelander and not a tiny and tinny saxo mate! Phew.

Just to inject a little humour to make you smile. I like your forward thinking way of having that "police aware" sticker already placed underneath for when you did flip it ;)

If you need any help massing Jenn's sore bits you know where i am :lol:

Seriously again now, thank god she's ok man.

dirtydog
18-12-09, 03:29 PM
Bloody hell that's a bit of a mess. Glad the missus is alright though.

_Stretchie_
18-12-09, 03:34 PM
Glad she's alright mate, at least you can get a proper Landy now though

; )

plowsie
18-12-09, 03:35 PM
Holy fook. If there is anything I can do mate, let me know!

barwel1992
18-12-09, 03:36 PM
:smt103 that looks bad !

hope shes ok, been checked out and all that ?

looks as thogh it could have been worse if the bushes hadn't been there :S

stay safe all

pfft and they say cars are safer

speedplay
18-12-09, 03:36 PM
Work called me to ask if she was ok and the reply was " as long as she keeps her mouth shut".

Jenn is aching a bit as you would expect but no injuries as such.

She had to climb out of the passenger window.

When she called me to say she couldnt get out of the car I asked why and she said" cause its on its roof".

Not the best thing to hear when your 60 or so miles away and running off site!

I have been telling her that she needs to take her driving a bit more careful for the last 2 years.

This will be an expensive (for me at least) lesson learnt though and hopefully one she wont be trying to repeat.

I took her into town on the way back and have already put a deposit on another car for her (cant afford to buy another freelander to replace this one yet so she will have to do with a 206 for now).

missyburd
18-12-09, 03:37 PM
Jenn decided to take the A428 (despite me saying to take the motorway) into bedford but unfortunatly didnt make it.

This is what I found:-

I read far worse into that than you meant, could you rephrase that bit of your post? Scared me for a min, I'm very glad to hear your Jenn is alright :oops:

barwel1992
18-12-09, 03:39 PM
I read far worse into that than you meant, could you rephrase that bit of your post? Scared me for a min, I'm very glad to hear your Jenn is alright :oops:

i dont think he would be posting it up on hear so soon though if he had meant that

dirtydog
18-12-09, 03:40 PM
I took her into town on the way back and have already put a deposit on another car for her (cant afford to buy another freelander to replace this one yet so she will have to do with a 206 for now).

Jeez that's a harsh punishment you've dished out there

ophic
18-12-09, 03:42 PM
Glad she's ok.

The car is in pretty good nick on the underside init? :p

Bluepete
18-12-09, 03:43 PM
Sheesh!

That's a mess, I'm just gald she's OK. Keep a tight eye on her tonight, Ibuprofen and lots of hugs are in order.

Much love,

Pete ;)

MattCollins
18-12-09, 03:44 PM
Glad to hear that she is okay.

Cheers

speedplay
18-12-09, 03:44 PM
Glad she's ok.

The car is in pretty good nick on the underside init? :p

The whole car was in great nick :(

The french punishment will be suitable for a while...;)

Bri w
18-12-09, 03:49 PM
'ells bells matey, thats a scary one. Thank god it was in something sturdy.

Hot bath, and whisky, to take out the bruising - nah, go straight for the whisky.

Thought that was a good one, "Can't get out coz its on its roof." You'll laugh on that one for a while.

My Mrs often reminds me of one from 4yrs back. Her on the phone to me, "where are you?" Me, "if you look out of the back bedroom window you'll see I'm laid in the road waiting for the ambulance." I kid you not.

dirtydog
18-12-09, 03:51 PM
The french punishment will be suitable for a while...;)

You're a harsh, harsh man ;)

Luckypants
18-12-09, 03:53 PM
Jeez, a lucky escape there. Glad she is ok and only metal was damaged.

Richie
18-12-09, 04:29 PM
Mucho Gladness that Mrs Speedplay is ok.
She must be shaken... as Bluepete says "Ibuprofen and lots of hugs are in order"

LK-SV
18-12-09, 04:30 PM
Hell .... glad she is ok .....

Goes to show too..... look after your tyres .... the police wouldn't have been impressed if they'd seen one that was defective !!!

Head gasket ok ?? :-)

yorkie_chris
18-12-09, 04:32 PM
Glad to hear she's OK but at least it's a freelander off the road. Why didn't you buy a proper land rover?

Lissa
18-12-09, 04:36 PM
Blimey, poor Jenn! :(

Hope she's ok and not too shocked.

speedplay
18-12-09, 04:42 PM
Hell .... glad she is ok .....

Goes to show too..... look after your tyres .... the police wouldn't have been impressed if they'd seen one that was defective !!!

Head gasket ok ?? :-)

5 new tyres on it recently and the head gasket was done about 4 months ago :(

Ive had this for nearly 5 years now and have loved having it, its taken me through some really nasty sites too with no real problems (except the head gasket).

I wanted to keep hold of it to transport the enduro and for private work but looks like thats now come to an end.

I'm glad that Jenn was in this and not something smaller (or my other car!)

I knew that Jenn was going to put some marks and dents on it but thought it would last longer than 3 weeks :(

tanis34
18-12-09, 04:45 PM
ruddy ell she dont do things by half does she , glad shes ok ,they do say the freelanders are not the best for off road

LK-SV
18-12-09, 04:47 PM
I'm glad that Jenn was in this and not something smaller (or my other car!)

Hard luck on the expenses going to waste ....

As said .... glad she is ok .....

Well, always a difficult one .. a smaller car may not have rolled ...

Spiderman
18-12-09, 04:48 PM
When she called me to say she couldnt get out of the car I asked why and she said" cause its on its roof".

Brilliant, i do like you Jenn :lol:

Perhaps a nice roll cage for her new pug would be a nice xmas pressie?
http://www.oakleydesign.eu/imgs/CarbonFibre_RollCage.JPG

its all carbon fibre too, mmmmmm.

;)

speedplay
18-12-09, 05:21 PM
a smaller car may not have rolled ...

I think it was more the fact that it hit the post that caused the roll.
Ive driven it quite hard over the last few years and have even taken it over some steep inclines with the crosser on the back and have never felt like it was going to go over.

Just one of those things I guess.

Ill have to slate it up as experience for me and inexperience for Jenn.

Owenski
18-12-09, 05:27 PM
glad everyone is ok, bit of t-cut will sort that out ;)

maviczap
18-12-09, 05:29 PM
Jeez, glad Jenn is ok mate. Cars can be replaced

I've had a 4x4 slide away from me on black ice before, nothing I could do about it, even though I was only doing about 5mph. So at 30mph even worse.

Schiez happens :(

the_lone_wolf
18-12-09, 05:46 PM
http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo003-1.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo047.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo048.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo049.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo050.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/speedplay/Photo051.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b00fqk0q_512_288.jpg
;)

Fizzy Fish
18-12-09, 05:56 PM
Wow that's a proper job there!

Please give Jenn some hugs on my behalf!

Speedy Claire
18-12-09, 05:58 PM
My god that could`ve been so nasty......... glad she wasn`t hurt, a really lucky escape

maviczap
18-12-09, 06:02 PM
I think it was more the fact that it hit the post that caused the roll.

Looking at the pics again, I'd say the kerb caused it to flip. Just think about it, all 4 wheels sliding across the road, meets with imovable lip of the curve, the resultant instant decelaration on the nearside wheels catching the kerb is not going to stop the energy of the bodywork wanting to continue in the direction its travelling in.

Well that's my theory, oh yes E=Mc2

Bluefish
18-12-09, 06:10 PM
lucky escape there, glad she is ok, still only a woman could roll it on a straight bit of road, :smt073Folks if you are skidding take your foot/hand off the brakes. be careful out there.

Quiff Wichard
18-12-09, 06:19 PM
phew- glad this is just an informative post and nothing worse.

and glad you not bothered about the car and that Jen OK..

me wudda gone mad about the car ... well I would have- I have now learnt by my mistakes and would now say rubber and metal can be replaced..

Red Herring
18-12-09, 06:40 PM
Glad she's OK. Ironically enough I spent most of today pulling various cars out of ditches and nearly half of them were 4x4 type vehicles. Not suggesting it applied in Jenns case but it does seem that a fair few 4x4 drivers don't appreciate that 4x4 systems although very good at getting you going in slippery conditions are no better at stopping you than your average car, and in some cases with all that weight sliding around harder to control once sliding. You may find once you pull it out and put it back on it's wheels it's not as bad as you think. We put a Shogun back on it's wheels this afternoon and the driver continued his journey (engine didn't half smoke a bit at first though!!)

dizzyblonde
18-12-09, 06:47 PM
you got a dog grill going from that?:rolleyes:

Poor freelander, at least Jenn crashed it proper stylee:thumbsup: I presume thats her stood just out of shot, so shes ok. I'd be gutted if Peg did that to ours he's just paid for the head gasket:smt009

Lozzo
18-12-09, 06:55 PM
(cant afford to buy another freelander to replace this one yet so she will have to do with a 206 for now).

A 206? Good god man, you really do want to make her suffer for wrecking your car, don't you?

I thought it quite funny that there's a Police Aware sticker on the undertray - if the copper driving it at the time it was put in that position wasnt aware, then she shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

PS, Glad Jenn is ok. Cars can be replaced

gruntygiggles
18-12-09, 06:56 PM
lucky escape there, glad she is ok, still only a woman could roll it on a straight bit of road, :smt073Folks if you are skidding take your foot/hand off the brakes. be careful out there.

And if you are skidding downhill and losing control, give a little tap on the THROTTLE, not the brakes. Just a quick press of the throttle and off again as it gets the wheels turning at the same speed as the vehicle is travelling and you get traction back. I was lucky...when I passed my test after knocking out the bad habits of driving since my dad used to sit me on his lap, he very kindly put me on three skid pan courses and a rally driving course in the 2 years following my test. He also taught me how to drive off road and it is well worth everyone learning not just how to drive a car, but how to control one when things go wrong.

Rob, I'm really glad Miss. Speedplay is ok. That model has either a 2 or 3 on the euro ncap safety scores, so I'm really impressed with how it has coped with the roll.

You can go get yourself a disco, rangie or defender now!!! ;-)

-Ralph-
18-12-09, 07:29 PM
Jeez, glad she's OK and sorry to hear about your car.

According to Jenn, she was going about 30mph

That's be about 45-50 then?

I've just shown my wife -she's not wreckless, but i sometime sthink she underestimates how quickly and easily things can go pear-shaped.

I have been telling her that she needs to take her driving a bit more careful for the last 2 years.

it does seem that a fair few 4x4 drivers don't appreciate that 4x4 systems although very good at getting you going in slippery conditions are no better at stopping you than your average car)

Not the best time to show my wife as she may just throw the laptop at me, she's in a foul mood, not that I've done anything to deserve it. Quoted this lot so I can find it later though.

She's another one that needs a good scary slide at the beginning of each winter to scare her into slowing down and make her adjust her driving to the conditions. The biggest problem with bad weather is that people don't adjust their driving and just carry on driving the same, then wonder if there is something wrong with the tyres when they loose grip.

Ed
18-12-09, 07:36 PM
How to get it out of the ditch? Crane?

speedplay
18-12-09, 08:24 PM
They have to close one section of the road and lift it out with a crane lift recovery truck.

Its still there tonight so the alloys will probably be gone in the morning!

Theres quite a big crease down the drivers side from the post so cant see it going back on the road in one piece.

Grunty, I know its an 3 star rated car but to be honest, its done MUCH better than most cars would have all things considered.
Theres only one piece of broken glass and thats in the hardtop section at the back, all the pillars are intact and inside the cabin is fine and not collapsed either.
It really does look like a "pull it over and drive it away" job but usually when a car goes over onto its roof, the body tends to get sort of "pushed over" at the top.
Its done its job and theres not so much as a scratch on Jenn.
If the insurance company decide to repair it (doubtfull) then I doubt she would drive it again anyway.

The 206 will calm her down for a bit and hopefully last longer than the 3 weeks she was driving the freelander.

I cant ever see myself getting a disco or range rover, the company disco I had a while ago was like a boat.
The freelander was just the right size for what I needed and being honest, I would have another one but would get the diesel instead.

Ed
18-12-09, 08:32 PM
I had two diesel Freelanders. The manual one was great. The automatic was ****e.

gruntygiggles
18-12-09, 08:53 PM
Yeah.....Rob, I was't saying your car was carp....I was just pointing out how impressed I was with how it stood up to the roll. If you get another, I would agree that diesel is definately the way to go!

I would imagine Jenn will start feeling the shock tonight and tomorrow. I was about 2 inches from being killed last year near my old house. Police were chasing a joyrider and I was at the back of my car. I heard it bounce and rev up the pavement which made me turn and look (was 15ft away from the road in a car park so paid no attention to the sirens) and I saw a Citroen Saxo coming right at me. I jumped round the side of my car and he went past. A little after the cops got him in the back of their car, one came to see me to get a witness statement and was close to calling an ambulance incase I went into shock. I was fine as it didn't hit me, but he said, "We saw it as clearly as we could and he missed your car by about 3 inches, so if you hadn't seen him coming, you'd have been very probably dead".

Dan was away working that night and I was fine. Next day I was all shaky and realised just how close it had been. It's very scary and I wasn't even in an accident......give Jenn loads of big hugs as I'm sure you are ;-)

dizzyblonde
18-12-09, 08:54 PM
2.5l petrol gaylander is the way to go, with sequential gearing. ;-)

robh539
18-12-09, 09:35 PM
Holy cr*p, Main thing is your ladys ok, which I'm glad to hear. I was thinking oh **** when I saw the thread. Gws ms speedplay.

kellyjo
18-12-09, 09:44 PM
God, that must have been sooo scary for you both, glad Jenn's ok, a reminder for us all how easily things can go wrong. Make sure you smother her in tlc, and take care everyone x

speedplay
18-12-09, 10:11 PM
Yeah.....Rob, I was't saying your car was carp....I was just pointing out how impressed I was with how it stood up to the roll.

I got what you meant, I think the safety ratings are a little biased at times though really.
Yes you can test a car from set angles at 50mph at a concrete block, but its not exactly real life though is it?!

When I went to get the stuff from the car it did make me think though.
I have driven about the country with heavy tool boxes and kit loose in the back for years and never really thought about what would happen in the event of an accident.

Jenns stuff was scattered everywhere throughout the car and there was a 25kilo bag of board adhesive in there from a job I had done, I couldnt believe that things would get strewn so far.

If it had been me in there with all my kit, I would probably received massive head injurys from flying tool boxes.

beabert
18-12-09, 11:15 PM
Looking at the pics again, I'd say the kerb caused it to flip. Just think about it, all 4 wheels sliding across the road, meets with imovable lip of the curve, the resultant instant decelaration on the nearside wheels catching the kerb is not going to stop the energy of the bodywork wanting to continue in the direction its travelling in.

Well that's my theory, oh yes E=Mc2

Id go for its slid into the post, its bent only into a ramp angle, so slid up the post then toppled roof first over the top.

Von Teese
18-12-09, 11:19 PM
I knew I had good reason to be afraid when Ive been in the car with her driving before.

Jenn, thanks for supper, glad you are ok, Speedplay, if I have to play door-man to your cats again, I will bring a long stick with a hook on it to open the door from where Im sitting!

speedplay
19-12-09, 09:40 AM
I knew I had good reason to be afraid when Ive been in the car with her driving before.

Jenn, thanks for supper, glad you are ok, Speedplay, if I have to play door-man to your cats again, I will bring a long stick with a hook on it to open the door from where Im sitting!

You came and played with Jenns nipples, what more do you want?!

xXBADGERXx
19-12-09, 12:17 PM
Man , I went white when I looked at the pictures , glad she is ok dude . Not read the reast of the posts but managed the first page .

Jabba
19-12-09, 03:11 PM
Glad Ms Speedplay's okay. Shame about the car, but they can be replaced.

You came and played with Jenns nipples, what more do you want?!

An explanation and some pictures? ;-)

bikerchick82
19-12-09, 04:01 PM
Glad Jenn is ok, I hope you're smothering her in tea and sympathy ;)

speedplay
19-12-09, 10:00 PM
Glad Jenn is ok, I hope you're smothering her in tea and sympathy ;)

I think smothering her with a pillow would be kinder to all involved ;)

bikerchick82
19-12-09, 10:25 PM
But who would VT tweak nipples with if you did that? :eek:

Von Teese
20-12-09, 06:30 AM
But who would VT tweak nipples with if you did that? :eek:
Well I do have a list of substitutes, you are at the top of that by the way! :smt045

Devil Biccy
20-12-09, 05:47 PM
Glad that your Okay Jen, shame about the car but as they say you can replace a car! wishing you a speedy recovery

bikerchick82
20-12-09, 07:22 PM
Well I do have a list of substitutes, you are at the top of that by the way! :smt045

In that case.....Carry on with the smothering! :smt041

Von Teese
20-12-09, 08:33 PM
Dont encourage him, it doesnt take much!

Warthog
21-12-09, 12:38 PM
Glad she is ok Speedplay, must have been quite a shock and a worry hearing about it and seeing it for the first time.

She's another one that needs a good scary slide at the beginning of each winter to scare her into slowing down and make her adjust her driving to the conditions. The biggest problem with bad weather is that people don't adjust their driving and just carry on driving the same, then wonder if there is something wrong with the tyres when they loose grip.

I have to say, I agree. To slide and then continue over a kerb, over a path, over a sign and then into a ditch, you have to be going a fair speed. I did a full 90 degree spin last winter in a Ford Ka on an iced road but cos I was going gingerly at about 15 mph it did the whole spin in the road and I managed to opposite lock it and bring it back all within the road. Hope she drives carefully from now on.

Today we had a Range Rover Sport HSE come tearing past overtaking us and overtaking another toyota that was overtaking us, it was crazy. Some prats in 4x4 just think they are fine in snowy weather.

Tallguy
21-12-09, 02:07 PM
Looks like a pretty scary ten seconds or so, hope there won't be nightmares :(

stewie
21-12-09, 03:06 PM
Just saw this , hope she,s ok mate

Owenski
21-12-09, 03:35 PM
just lookin at those pics again, bloody unlucky she hit that sign and rolled it! Almost anywhere else along that road and it'd have been some body panel damage from the bushes.
Again though, glad all are ok.

fenjer
21-12-09, 07:35 PM
eeek...

From one Jenn to another - glad you're ok hon.

mike_avfc
21-12-09, 08:15 PM
thats a hell of a wreck, glad she's ok mate

svrich
21-12-09, 08:54 PM
Ouch!
Glad she was ok. And remember, it's a Land Rover so it looks better with a few bumps and scratches ;)

plowsie
22-12-09, 10:56 AM

I have to say, I agree. To slide and then continue over a kerb, over a path, over a sign and then into a ditch, you have to be going a fair speed.
Guilty until proven innocent eh chaps :rolleyes: Sounds like the Great British Justice system.

speedplay
22-12-09, 10:59 AM
Guilty until proven innocent eh chaps :rolleyes: Sounds like the Great British Justice system.

I think she was doing more than 30 tbh :rolleyes:

plowsie
22-12-09, 11:03 AM
I think she was doing more than 30 tbh :rolleyes:
Order in the court.

How does it go...Assumption is the mother

speedplay
22-12-09, 11:06 AM
I have been in the car with her ;)

I would love to think that she was doing 30 on a section of road covered by the national speed limit.

plowsie
22-12-09, 11:11 AM
I have been in the car with her ;)

I would love to think that she was doing 30 on a section of road covered by the national speed limit.
Haha, but momentum built up on ice by a very heavy car? It is possible. My point being, you know your missus's driving...

Von Teese
22-12-09, 12:11 PM
Haha, but momentum built up on ice by a very heavy car? It is possible. My point being, you know your missus's driving...
...you've never been in a car with her driving before have you Plowsie?? :smt009:reaper::smt089:smt119

22-12-09, 12:16 PM
it doesnt take a lot to roll a heavy car like that if you hit a Kurb, I have seen it done at Lower speeds than 30.

Any way, glad to here she is ok, the car is just metal, when it protects your loved ones.

-Ralph-
22-12-09, 09:53 PM
Order in the court.

How does it go...Assumption is the mother

She's female. Definitely the more capable and fairer sex in many ways, but when it comes to practical tasks, and driving is a practical task, it's fair to make assumptions.

metalangel
22-12-09, 10:09 PM
Yow! That is not good at all! I'll drive extra gentle tomorrow for sure now! Glad she's okay and think - one thing you loved (Freelander) protected the other thing (her)!

speedplay
22-12-09, 10:15 PM
and think - one thing you loved (Freelander) protected the other thing (her)!

Good job that my bikes wernt there as well then I'd have been there ages deciding which one to pick up first...;)