PDA

View Full Version : Snow?

Stingo
19-12-09, 11:58 AM
Look - I know that that a good portion of the rest of the country is in the grip of the worst snow storm since the last time we were in the grip of a snow storm...but I thought that you'd all like to know that it is snowing in Plymouth right now...:smt041

Ed
19-12-09, 12:02 PM
Blimey. It never snows in Plimmuff. I'm feeling cheated here. Not a flake.

xXBADGERXx
19-12-09, 12:05 PM
I awoke to some here in North Wales as well

Lissa
19-12-09, 12:32 PM
Had a little bit of snow yesterday, but heavy snow forecast for around midnight, allegedly.

Mr Speirs
19-12-09, 12:36 PM
We have had a mad lot of snow and as I live in a cul de sac at the bottom of a hill and owning a rear wheel drive car I have struggled!!! Was blocking the road for about 10 mins this morning hehe

Richie
19-12-09, 12:38 PM
we got it booked for around 5pm this afternoon...

husky03
19-12-09, 12:39 PM
why does this country of ours struggle with a few inches of snow every year?-the scandanavians get on with their lives as normal with no probs despite feet of the stuff-its a bl00dy joke.Glad i've got the landy now though.

xXBADGERXx
19-12-09, 12:48 PM
why does this country of ours struggle with a few inches of snow every year?-the scandanavians get on with their lives as normal with no probs despite feet of the stuff-its a bl00dy joke.Glad i've got the landy now though.

Because they have vast experience in dealing with it whereas we (as a nation) don`t . I don`t have any problem with it as I get it on a regular basis and ride in it . Having a Landy is no guarantee of being able to make it through this weather ...... poor Speedplay`s Mrs had a nasty roll on Black Ice and was lucky to walk away from it all .

husky03
19-12-09, 12:57 PM
but the problem we have badger is that the forecasters tell us days in advance when its coming and the gritters don't appear until after its lying.And having a landy combined with the ability to drive in this weather increases my chances of getting to where i'm going significantly higher than if i went in the car.

punyXpress
19-12-09, 01:17 PM
but the problem we have badger is that the forecasters tell us days in advance when its coming and the gritters don't appear until after its lying.And having a landy combined with the ability to drive in this weather increases my chances of getting to where i'm going significantly higher than if i went in the car.

All the traction & ability in the world will get you nowhere when the roads are blocked by the bald tyres & no ideas brigade!
Best of luck!

xXBADGERXx
19-12-09, 01:36 PM

They grit the roads around here in advance , they did it yesterday and it is down to local council policy as to when it happens ........ the policy was set around here when a load of cyclists were tragically killed by a car that lost control on Ice a couple of years ago . Now all the big roads get done but my house is the same as Mr Speirs , bottom of a cul-de-sac on a downward incline . The gritters will do the main A roads , then B roads and by the time any housed areas get the chance to be gritted the Snow has melted . Having a 4x4 will help yes , but looking out of my window I saw cars struggling to even get out of their parking spaces and these were people using low revs . And the problem mainly was the cars compacting the snow down and the tires losig grip at the tiniest whiff of throttle whilst trying to get out of an inclined driveway.......... yet my Mrs , loads of experience from living in a very Snowy Area , jumps in her Golf and drives off because she saw the forecast and parked her car in a place that gave her the best chance of a start .

Jabba
19-12-09, 01:41 PM
why does this country of ours struggle with a few inches of snow every year?

Not all of the country suffers..... and it only make the national news when a flake or two causes chaos in south-east England.

I was telling the kids that a foot of snow was considered a light dusting when I was kid in the foot-hills of the Penines ;-)

Not so much as a flake here in Cardiff so far, and if it does snow there won't be enough to make a decent snowball. I miss northern winters :-(

xXBADGERXx
19-12-09, 01:43 PM
I think 1981 was the bad year for it ? Remember when we had a month of it from Boxing day til the end of January . Snow ploughs daily , cars up to their rooves in snow at the side of the road . It was great as a kid :) , Snow so heavy that visibility was down to about 8 foot .

Jabba
19-12-09, 01:49 PM
...about 8 foot .

That's about the deepest I can remember..... drifted up against the front door of the house so deep that it covered the door. Was about 4ft deep where it had nothing to drift against.

I can remember digging out about 2ft of snow from behind my dad's VW Beetle so he could go to work..... and then we went off to school.

It's not like that today..... kids don't know they're born ;-)

madcockney
19-12-09, 01:57 PM
I awoke to some here in North Wales as well
But not in this part of North Wales. Well North East Wales actually.

Lissa
19-12-09, 02:16 PM
I think 1981 was the bad year for it ? Remember when we had a month of it from Boxing day til the end of January . Snow ploughs daily , cars up to their rooves in snow at the side of the road . It was great as a kid :) , Snow so heavy that visibility was down to about 8 foot .

I remember that year. My friend Wendy and I were both 7 months pregnant and ended up pushing a milk float out of a snow drift! :D

xXBADGERXx
19-12-09, 02:49 PM
I remember that year. My friend Wendy and I were both 7 months pregnant and ended up pushing a milk float out of a snow drift! :D

I dunno , you pregnant women will steal anything if it isn`t nailed down

speedplay
19-12-09, 03:20 PM

I dunno , you pregnant women will steal anything if it isn`t nailed down

You would think that 2 women, both 7 months pregnant would have more than enough milk between them:rolleyes:

xXBADGERXx
19-12-09, 03:25 PM
Yeah but it`s the hassle of trying to get it into the coffee Cup in front of guests

Littlepeahead
19-12-09, 03:35 PM
Here's my advice for the day. When there is thick snow on the ground:

1) Don't book a pedicure at a salon right out in the sticks down an ungritted lane
2) Don't book a pedicure anyway, as you'll then have to make your way back to the car through thick snow wearing flipflops
3) Don't book a pedicure and have to fill the car up on the way back as people in the petrol station look at you funny when you are wearing rolled up jeans and flipflops in -5 weather

My toes look very pretty now though.

bikerchick82
19-12-09, 03:54 PM
LOL

Great bit of advice there LPH :thumbsup:

I've got about three inch of snow at home in Bedford and about five/six inches at work in Hitchin, the snow isn't the problem though, the freezing temperatures mean that everything is freezing solid, water is frozen in ten minutes :-s

I did attempt to come to work this morning on my bike, I gave up less than half way when I came off on black ice though, finally got a lift in by car and almost had a head on when someone pulled out on us and we were all on solid sheet ice :eek:

I can't say I'm looking forward to going home once the temperatures have dropped again :roll:

wyrdness
19-12-09, 03:59 PM
We've had none in Wiltshire. There's a few flakes falling at the moment, but probably not enough for it to settle.

Richie
19-12-09, 04:36 PM
we got it booked for around 5pm this afternoon...

it's 25 minutes early.....! it's just started snowing again here....;)

Ed
19-12-09, 05:18 PM
I miss northern winters :-(

I hate Englis winters. Here it gets very cold - -6C last night. Cold, wet, and miserable. And that's just me;) I want to live in Florida but they don't have any twisty roads there:D.

Littlepeahead
19-12-09, 07:05 PM
BMW 728: officially rubbish in the winter. ASC going mad and beeping and flashing as I slid majestically across the car park at 5mph with only prayers and a speed bump to stop me. So all those people who said leave the bike at home and take the car obviously haven't gone one like mine. Do they not have ice in Germany?

boot
19-12-09, 07:16 PM
Went out for a few hours in it today, was practically a blizzard on the way home - visor doesn't shed snow like it does rain.

It was also very cold, and the blast up the bypass froze bits that had melted, so when I got in, I had hard lumps of ice on my shoulders and lid.

I'm the only person on my cul-de-sac that bought some rock salt, so at least I can get off the drive, it's just getting up the rest of the road that's the issue.

http://alpha30.com/images/SV650/Icy-1.jpg

punyXpress
19-12-09, 08:23 PM
Try 1963:
None had conquered the Horseshoe Pass - some adventurous types had set out to try, but were stopped by drifts and the R.A~C 's alternative route through Corwen and Cerrigy druidion was relatively trouble free.( From MotorCycling)

My Report:

Have been to Horseshoe Pass a few times in the last couple of years on SV650 rideouts, but it's not as I remember it!

Where's all the snow?

Riding Maicoletta scooters a pal and I went up the pass as it seemed the most direct route. We saw car roofs above the snow and then just radio aerials.

Eventually the only tracks were the trials sidecar in John Ebbrell's article so we followed them. When we reached the point where he turned round (he had more sense than us) we did another 20 yards and then had to turn back ourselves because the snow was above the telegraph poles and we would have no idea where we were.

When we got to the crossroads at the northern end after a long detour we realised we couldn't have got down anyway - the Horseshoe road was a solid wall of snow about 12 feet high!

Happy days, although the night wasn't - my 'patch' had a frozen molehill in the middle of it. Never been so cold and uncomfortable - until the Elephant Rally where I walked round the Nurburgring to keep warm.
- punyXpress
Swallocks too cold for Betty!

keith_d
19-12-09, 09:00 PM
BMW 728: officially rubbish in the winter. ASC going mad and beeping and flashing as I slid majestically across the car park at 5mph with only prayers and a speed bump to stop me. So all those people who said leave the bike at home and take the car obviously haven't gone one like mine. Do they not have ice in Germany?

We get sheet ice here because the snow falls on roads which are pretty close to freezing. Sometimes the snow melts a little then freezes solid and you get a sheet of ice under the snow. Other times the compression from car tyres results in freeze/thaw cycles until it forms sheet ice.

Last time I saw a german winter there was no chance of anyting melting. Daytime highs were around -5 and the grass was coated in frost thick enough to look like snow.

Well, you did ask.

Keith.

Holdup
20-12-09, 12:47 AM
Booze + snow = great fun, not as a drink never tried that but drink booze then stagger home in the snow with friends is great as recommended by me

ps wear gloves tho alcohol may take away pain but doesn't stop snow freezing your hands!

Spelling and grammer corrects by iPod touch

ophic
20-12-09, 02:28 AM
oh yes, booze, snow, ski slopes, black bags and cardboard boxes leads to awesome fun in the french alps. The funniest bit was me falling flat on my back whilst trying to video it, and sliding 20ft down the slope on my bum.