PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Autoglass?

andyb
20-12-09, 09:56 AM
Got a couple of chips in the windscreen but I'm not sure whether to replace it or get it repaired. If they repair it does it make the chip disappear or can you still see it?

Cheers,
Andy

dirtydog
20-12-09, 10:00 AM
I had a windscreen that had a chip repaired (although not by autoglass) and you could just about see it

speedplay
20-12-09, 10:03 AM
I had a windscreen that had a chip repaired (although not by autoglass) and you could just about see it

+1 you can see it but you have to look hard.

I've got a chip in my screen at the moment but its a new screen job as its heated :(

dirtydog
20-12-09, 10:07 AM
+1 you can see it but you have to look hard.

I've got a chip in my screen at the moment but its a new screen job as its heated :(

Oh yeah you had to look real hard to see it

On my last car with a heated screen it got a chip and you can get it repaired but you'll lose the heated screen on that side. Well that's what the windscreen bloke told me anyway

Specialone
20-12-09, 10:10 AM
They will generally repair chips if under the size of a 5p piece, thats what they told me, depends on where it is as well i think.

I had my van nearly 3 years with not 1 single chip, then got 2 whoppers in the same day while driving to and from london after picking up my lambretta, they couldnt repair either :(

andyb
20-12-09, 10:32 AM
Cheers, I may pop in ot my local Autoglass before I book an appointment then as I have about four although all are much smaller than a 5p.

boot
20-12-09, 10:38 AM
If your windscreen was accidentally broken by a large stone flipping up, you'd can probably get it replaced by your insurance company without affecting your no claims. Think it's usually around £40-£50 for glass excess. Read your policy.

timwilky
20-12-09, 01:13 PM
3 years ago, my windscreen cracked on my way to Rugby, they changed it on the works car park. Great, on the way home that evening the screen surround trim blew off on the motorway.

I popped it into the Preston branch next day in order they can fit a new trim. No the plonkers had fitted the screen too deep and it had to be cut out and a second one fitted. Expensive for them with the heated front screens on Mondaos

Traders
20-12-09, 03:57 PM
I used Autoglass this year, they came to my workplace and carried out the repair after they contacted my insurance company as its free with my policy and with most others. But before they do the job they mentioned that when they inject the resign onto the damaged area there is the possibility that it may cause that screen to crack and if so then they will have to fit a new windowscreen which would cost me my excess, its a 50/50 chance that it works, luckily it worked, you can still see the repair and in this weather its holding the screen together.

Woz
20-12-09, 05:07 PM
I had a chip repaired earlier this year and they made a real botch of it. So much so that when I got home I said to the current Mrs Woz "So they haven't been then?" Apparently they had. It didn't look any different to when I'd left earlier and when I turned the wipers you could hear them catching on the 'repair'.

Phoned up to complain and they tried to charge me another excess to come out and have another go. After going through 3 levels of supervision/management they eventually agreed to replace the windscreen without applying another excess charge.

I wasn't impressed and wouldn't want to use them again but when they are the ones my insurance dictates, I wouldn't really have a choice.

Mr Speirs
20-12-09, 06:09 PM
I had mine repaired. Worked fine, slight scarring but that is normal.

maviczap
20-12-09, 06:50 PM
Always going to be down to the skill of the Technican doing the job, as to the end result

I repaired a chip in my screen with some stuff from Halfrauds. I could still see it, but at least the whole screen hasn't needed doing, as the chip hasn't got any worse

Dave20046
20-12-09, 07:20 PM
Do it yourself it's only a resin - instructions on youtube.