PDA

View Full Version : How much does external rendering cost?

Demonz
21-12-09, 09:50 AM
Thinking of buying a house project. Does anyone know what I should budget per square metre to render and paint the outside of the property. I was thinkiing around £30 but I cant find anything online.

What are the pittfalls of external rendering, any things to think about... etc.

Thanks for the input.
Grant

kwak zzr
21-12-09, 09:57 AM
bout £30 sounds about right id say, the only down side of render is resale (is it hiding anything)

speedplay
21-12-09, 10:01 AM
bout £30 sounds about right id say, the only down side of render is resale (is it hiding anything)

It depends on the type of house.

If its a red brick house in the middle of a terrace, then people might wonder why its been rendered.

Ive got a spons guide at home, I'll have a look when I get home.

*added edit*

A lot will depend on the condition of the wall and how much preparation are needed though but I'll be able to get a rough price for you (good enough for me to be able to price jobs up by ;) )

21-12-09, 10:33 AM
Your best bet is a colour through render - not a render then paint.

Dont forget to include for beading reveals, corners and other bits and pieces, otherwise it will not work properly.

Regards

Alex

Mej
21-12-09, 10:44 AM
when we get Contactors costs for jobs they usually budget about £25-30 per meter squared for K-Rend.

Only problem is its hard to colour match on repairs.

Demonz
21-12-09, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the useful comments. Brickwork is in really good nick actually so no repairs. I just dont like the colour as its one of the 70s detached builds wich tried to go with the in colour of its time. Horrible I think and I am sure why its putting the house off from selling. It needs some extending so I am thinking to save money on brickwork, extend it and render all of it the same....

21-12-09, 10:55 AM
Oh, one other thing, if you extend, using blcokwork.. Double check you can render onto the block, it was a while ago, but some blocks split when rendered, due to the moisture absorption by the render from the block.

speedplay
21-12-09, 10:56 AM
Are the rest of the houses in the area still red brick or are they rendered too?

Theres nothing worse than one house standing out in the middle of a street thats been rendered or even worse stone cladded!

Mej
21-12-09, 11:27 AM
Are the rest of the houses in the area still red brick or are they rendered too?

Theres nothing worse than one house standing out in the middle of a street thats been rendered or even worse stone cladded!

the planners arn't normally too keen on stuff like that either

Demonz
21-12-09, 11:36 AM

I agree - also with the stone cladding...! this one is isolated thankfully.

Demonz
21-12-09, 11:37 AM

Is planning needed for rendering?

speedplay
21-12-09, 11:39 AM

It all depends on where you are.

Some planners are really odd about things.

A friend is extending his house in wiltshire and hes not allowed to follow the ridgeline through the roof.
Hes allowed to build but has to drop the ridgeline on the new roof by 12 inches so you can see its been added on as an extention:confused:

Weird.

I guess it just depends on whos on planning planning at the time.

My Dad was head of planning back home where there was a guy who had been on planning for about 12 years and asked dad what the difference between a pitched roof and a mono pitched roof was.
The guy had been making un-educated decisions for years.

Mej
21-12-09, 11:40 AM
I mean the miss matching of cladding on a street, least down here they wouldnt let you do stuuf like that.

depends on the situation, size of the extension.

speedplay
21-12-09, 11:42 AM
I mean the miss matching of cladding on a street, least down here they wouldnt let you do stuuf like that.

depends on the situation, size of the extension.

You should see some of the ghastly crap they pass here ;)

Owenski
21-12-09, 11:43 AM
had the rear of our house rendered, I think it cost around £400 its 2 story about 7.5long with a couple of large windows. That was a good price compeared to some of the quotes purely becuase the guy owned his own scaffold.

I've since built my workshop and did the render on that myself, quotes were coming in around the £1000 mark. it ended up that it cost me £80 for about 20bags of K-Rend from some bloke on ebay. I went for the textured finsih and its pre-coloured so no painting required. Its a PITA of a job but did the whole thing was done in a weekend and obviously there was a MASSSSIIVIEE saving its not the most pro finish cos I didnt know I had to smooth it with a sponge (muppet) but cos its the textured stuff I recon I got away with it.

Oh an I previously had zero experiance of either render or plaster. Other than building the workshop I'd never even used a trowell before.

For the record thats rendered straight onto the block work also (altho a PVA layer was highly reccomended).

Mej
21-12-09, 11:44 AM
It all depends on where you are.

Some planners are really odd about things.

A friend is extending his house in wiltshire and hes not allowed to follow the ridgeline through the roof.
Hes allowed to build but has to drop the ridgeline on the new roof by 12 inches so you can see its been added on as an extention:confused:

Weird.

I guess it just depends on whos on planning planning at the time.

My Dad was head of planning back home where there was a guy who had been on planning for about 12 years and asked dad what the difference between a pitched roof and a mono pitched roof was.
The guy had been making un-educated decisions for years.

lol, yeah that is not unusual.

the planners in Bournemouth and Poole are a nightmare.

dirtydog
21-12-09, 03:58 PM
If you need any plumbing done Grant you know my number ;-)