PDA

View Full Version : How many people scrape their lights?

Owenski
21-12-09, 12:09 PM
The main roads are clear but unfortunatly my bike lives a good 100yrds from the main road. So I'm in the misses cage today, and its promted another pet hate thread.

When you scrape the ice/snow off the windows do you?...
(see poll)

The amount of cars I saw this morning with the rear window/quater window still covered in ice was jaw dropping. Saw far too many motorists who had wound down their drivers window and only scraped half the windscreen and I could count on 1 hand how many cars I'd seen that had actually cleaned ice from their lights.

Anyway just wondered, am I overly keen or do most other sensible road users do the same? (I couldnt find any sensible roads users to ask so Im relying on you lot now) ;P

Poll is private (I think) so your shame can remain hidden! But pls be honest.

TimMcC
21-12-09, 12:13 PM
Clear all the snow and ice from all of the windows.

I clear snow from the lights, but wouldn't bother with ice. The headlights will make short work of that once they come on ;)

Warthog
21-12-09, 12:13 PM
I scrape everything, but only because once I get going I go a bit kind of OCD and have to finish it all perfectly :lol:

Jabba
21-12-09, 12:14 PM
Always do lights..... one less excuse should anyone SMIDSY you.

carty
21-12-09, 12:15 PM
I scrape as little as I can get away with in order to drive safely :thumbsup:

robh539
21-12-09, 12:21 PM
I scrape everything, but only because once I get going I go a bit kind of OCD and have to finish it all perfectly :lol:

+1, the people next door must think im mental. I also let the tin box warm up while doing so.

speedplay
21-12-09, 12:27 PM
I open up the car, bung the heater on full and front and rear heated screens while I scrape the side windows, then lights and then just wipe the melted ice from front and rear with the wipers :)

pmapp
21-12-09, 12:28 PM
Everything for me.

Unlike the plantpot this morning in a nice big silver pickup truck who scraped a peep hole on the windscreen and only had snow\ice covered side lights on. Grrr.

Owenski
21-12-09, 12:38 PM
+1, the people next door must think im mental. I also let the tin box warm up while doing so.

That has also been my routine on these occasions.

Go out key in the ignition, start it up all blowers/heaters etc on full
Get scraper walk around the car usually start with headlights then side windows round the back inc lights down the other side an finish on the windscreen more often than not its already started to melt off there by then. If Im feeling really nice I'll swipe any of the snow off the roof that I can on my way round, rather than dumping it infront of the car behind as I set off from the lights.

Alpinestarhero
21-12-09, 12:39 PM
everything off everywhere

last snowfall in feb, I kept getting pelted by snow coming off the roofs of cars in front!

Skip
21-12-09, 12:46 PM
*hangs head in shame* This morning I got a fixed penalty notice for windows not clear :( I had wiped th snow off which revealed no ice on the windscreen - went around and did the rear window and side windows - left my drive before the car was warm (my old BMW takes a while to warm up) and no sooner had I driven 200 yards the screen had a layer of ice on it from the snow residue - realised I couldnt see at all so was going to pull into the next layby and lo and behold it was full of old bill who pulled me and read me the riot act and gave me a fixed penalty! Didnt bother arguing as it was my own fault for not warming the car more in the first place. Expensive trip to work though :(

Filipe M.
21-12-09, 12:54 PM
Nothing. :rambo:

I live in Portugal and the car sleeps in a garage. :lol:

LK-SV
21-12-09, 12:59 PM
I scape all the windows, and lights if they need doing ... but..

I saw a women this morning on my road, sat in the car, engine running waiting for the car to clear itself, drivers window down, having a fag ...... :-) ..... lazy cow !!!

Bibio
21-12-09, 01:13 PM
jump in the car 10mins before the off start it up to heat everything up. then relax with a cuppa. bish bash bosh job done.

Owenski
21-12-09, 01:15 PM
lol, sat inside with the window open!
doesnt that defeat the point some what?

On a similar vain (makes me laugh) when ever I visit my sister who smokes she doesnt allow smoking inside. Instead she stands out on the step with the house door wide open behind her. The house smells just the same as her old flat, where she used to stand in the kitchen under the extractor fan.

Owenski
21-12-09, 01:16 PM
jump in the car 10mins before the off start it up to heat everything up. then relax with a cuppa. bish bash bosh job done. first person to select option 1 on the poll then.

Holdup
21-12-09, 01:51 PM
All windows, all lights + wing mirrors

Mr Speirs
21-12-09, 02:36 PM
Nothing...I sit in the car with the blowers on full on the windscreen, the heated rear windscreen and door mirrors and by the time the windscreen is clear the side windows have also cleared as my blows blows air out of every vent when it is on full blast. I just sit there with the heated seats keeping me warn until the view is clear :)

Takes about 10mins but it beats standing in the cold scraping :)

Alpinestarhero
21-12-09, 02:54 PM
Nothing. :rambo:

I live in Portugal and the car sleeps in a garage. :lol:

ah! perfect use for this:

http://thedailyshow.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/tds/videos/season_12_v/v6/ds_12114_headline_b_v6.jpg

Richie
21-12-09, 02:55 PM
In the Fatherland It's illegal to drive with any windows or lights obstructed by snow or ice.

philbut
21-12-09, 03:04 PM
I would clean all the windows, but as I was on the bike this morning, I just cleaned the ice off the seat! When I used to have a car I would do all the windonws thoroughly, but not the lights unless they were particularly bad - I've not encountered ice that thick that light couldn't pass through on a car.

Owenski
21-12-09, 03:12 PM
light gets through its just sort of ambeant rather than beaming.

The problem I noticed this morning with it was you couldnt be sure if someone was breaking or not, nor could you really see if they were indicating. A yaris (or other little shoe box sized car) was moving across into position in front of me I thought it was a little cheeky, but the space was there tbf. Still it got a "****ing indicate woman!" muttered under my breath that was until once she passed into the shade of the lorry she had previously been behind, then I could see she was actually indicating. so she got a "clear you ****ing lights woman" instead.

Usually I filter that section of traffic, had I been on the bike today no way would I have been able to tell she was indicating and I'd have filtered right by unless she continued to move out and in which case well im sure you can all assume the rest.

LK-SV
21-12-09, 03:13 PM
Maybe not ice .... but snow ...

(photo from last year of snowed in car...)

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq313/jimmyhibbs/Junk/IMG_1426.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq313/jimmyhibbs/Cars/IMG_1425.jpg

davepreston
21-12-09, 03:17 PM
im a real man and dont use a cage, ya bunch of jessies

Quedos
21-12-09, 06:00 PM
everything is cleared when in the cage - I hate it when i can't see.

Spiderman
21-12-09, 07:15 PM
i dont have a cage any more but when i did it had to b cleaned all round and that included front AND rear lights. No good me seeing where i am going but the guy behind not seeing my brake lights and ramming me.

I was also guilty of being very lazy and going for the kettle full over very hot but not quite boiling water to do most of the hard work for me if there was ice :)

KeithCRM
21-12-09, 11:17 PM
If it's cold enough heated rear and FRONT screen come on automaticaly. Clear side windows, by then, fronts clear and I'm ready to go!

One advantage of the blue oval, I guess?

Spikenipple
21-12-09, 11:23 PM
I really don't think anyone will ever admit to not clearing all of their windows. For some people it's because they haven't allowed time in their morning routine to do the lot - mostly due to lack of forethought - and for some it's plain old laziness.

BanditPat
21-12-09, 11:44 PM
I just spray de icer on the front and back the sides if needed but usually there not iced any ways, havent came accross the lights having ice on them either

Sally
21-12-09, 11:58 PM
im a real man and dont use a cage, ya bunch of jessies

+1 :rambo: :smt073

TonyS
22-12-09, 12:13 AM
Keep car in garage overnight, so no need to scrape. :D

orose
22-12-09, 08:04 AM
+1 :rambo: :smt073

+2.5 - no fairing for me. For some reason, I'm not looking forward to heading south this year...

Dicky Ticker
22-12-09, 08:19 AM
Slightly off topic----Don't sit behind lorries with high roofs as you get fairly big lumps of ice and snow coming off the roof once it has started to thaw.I have seen 6x6ft lumps of ice put big dents in car bonnets so god knows what would happen if it hit you on a bike.

seedy100
22-12-09, 10:25 PM
Watering can full of warm water.

Fill it up whilst drinking a Cuppa.
Pour it over windscreen, lights, side, back window and then windscreen again; dump the can by the front door for SWMBO to use later then drive off. Job Done

(pour the water from the watering can; not the cuppa)

metalangel
22-12-09, 11:29 PM
The entire car. Windows, lights, mirrors (which are heated anyway), and every piece of bodywork. Plenty of idiots leave the snow on their roof, not aware that the car's heating up and detached it from the roof. The first time they brake hard, that's all gonna slide forward and down the windshield.

Stu
22-12-09, 11:39 PM
Was filtering last night & saw a car with side window covered in snow except a few inches at the top.
So I wiped it off for him! :D

He wound down the window and asked if I wanted money :roll::lol:

Milky Bar Kid
23-12-09, 11:41 AM
Hot water onto a frozen windscreen???? Jeez, that's not a good idea!! Asking for a cracked windscreen!Would rather spend the 5 minutes scraping...

ophic
23-12-09, 11:47 AM
The entire car. Windows, lights, mirrors (which are heated anyway), and every piece of bodywork. Plenty of idiots leave the snow on their roof, not aware that the car's heating up and detached it from the roof. The first time they brake hard, that's all gonna slide forward and down the windshield.
+1 - just scraped it all off the MG this morning. It was so thick that on the bonnet and the boot, you couldn't see over it from inside the car.

The big Kia causes a problem though - much as i'd like to clear the roof, none of us can reach it. Can barely reach the centre of the windscreen.

Stu
24-12-09, 03:46 PM
Hot water onto a frozen windscreen???? Jeez, that's not a good idea!! Asking for a cracked windscreen!Would rather spend the 5 minutes scraping...+1
But warm water out of the tap is fine - fill the bottle straight from the tap without waiting for it to flow hot.
Then use the wipers fairly quickly before it freezes again :D