PDA

View Full Version : A night of heroes: The Sun military awards: ITV 9 pm 21.12.09

stewie
21-12-09, 03:14 PM
As the thread title says, nuff said.

davepreston
21-12-09, 03:20 PM
none of them deserve a dam thing they got thier extra £5 a day combat pay so should be happy with that
ps look at pic on left and engage brain

Richie
21-12-09, 03:27 PM
Dave ...

http://www.cumberlandpointcampground.com/fishing_1_smiley.gif

DanAbnormal
21-12-09, 03:33 PM
I'm all for being grateful for these guys.......but 'The Sun'???

I'd wouldn't feel very special if they gave me an award! :rolleyes:

davepreston
21-12-09, 04:00 PM
richie "quote me" :)

Ed
21-12-09, 04:44 PM
The whole thing is just to sell more toilet paper.

Alpinestarhero
21-12-09, 05:40 PM
I'm all for being grateful for these guys.......but 'The Sun'???

I'd wouldn't feel very special if they gave me an award! :rolleyes:

how many awards (medals) are the govement handing out

(just curioius)

Supervox
21-12-09, 11:28 PM
Having just finished watching this programme I wouldn't say that any recpient gained an award for merely doing their job - all IMO went 'above & beyond' what could be expected of them - from the RM competing in the London Marathon having lost an arm & a leg, to the medic running 70m through enemy fire (disobeying orders at the time to "get down") to reach a casualty; from the Naval Reservist who gave up his full-time job to take a part-time one so he could serve, to 'The Band of Mothers' who, having each lost a son in Afganhistan work to help not only the servicemen out there but also their relatives back here.

I can honestly say that at several points during this programme tears were streaming down my face.

Whilst it's true that servicemen & women do (or at least should) know the dangers they may face when they sign up, why shouldn't recognition be given to those who do the job well or overcome some adversity after the fact ?

As for the sponsor of the programme ? Well, all I can say is that yes, they probably do sell a few more papers on the back of their campaign, however, I do not believe they went into this with that in mind - The Sun has a history of supporting our Armed Forces - at least as far back as I can remember (The Falklands).
Perhaps if our so called government lent more support then press campaigns, Help for Heroes & Afghan Heroes wouldn't need to exist; but so long as they do they will have my 100% support.

timwilky
22-12-09, 10:03 AM
OK, difficult response from me to be awkward.

Firstly, Our armed forces do a damm good job despite having one had tied behind their backs with rules of engagement etc. and the other hand cut off by bureaucrats who seem incapable of delivering decent kit, in the right quantity, to the right place at the right time. I am not military, never have been. But despair when I see film reports showing British troops engaging "insurgents" with personal/sectional weapons. WTF can they no call in air strikes and bomb the **** out of whoever is shooting/RPGing them etc.

Now for the awkward issue.

We have had plenty of armed conflict/war since WWII. from Malaya, Suez, Aden, Falklands, Iraq plus everywhere we never where. All fallen/injured servicemen deserve our praise, recognition and reward. After the Falklands/Iraq how many servicemen ended up littering our streets with mental and physical health problems, unable to get jobs etc, and treated as the dregs of society.

Therefore why has this country suddenly got a conscience and become proud of our soldiers? For decades the government and wider population has not wanted to know about these drains on our taxes. apart from cutting their budgets.

Bri w
22-12-09, 10:58 AM
I think the wave of national conscience started about the time several soldiers on leave where attacked by British "nationals". This was closely followed by an MP suggesting that they shouldn't wear their uniform in public. Then there was the parade through Luton, which more British "nationals" tried to disrupte.

Within weeks the wave of support for our Servicemen, and rightly supported/fueled by the tabloids, had increased in direct response to those criticisms.

I may not be a sun reader, and nor will it change what I read, but I don't care who raises the profile of our armed forces as long as they do benefit.